My Spar Is Open Christmas and New Years Day

fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
Forum Member
Noticed that my local Spar will be open everyday over the festive period, that means that my local corner shop will have competition.

Is this a national thing or is it just selected stores ?

Comments

• bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume Spar is a local store and does surprise me a bit. But is it a franchise run by people who do not celebrate Christmas?

As to New Years Day, the papers are publish so local shops will open. I refuse to go shopping in the Big Super Markets. Though as Tesco Express run the local shop on New Year Day I will go in their. But am not a supporter of going in the Tesco Extra Stores. I actually find it sad, when questioned, how could a council improve the town...people said build bigger shops. Seems Quality of Life depends now on the size of shops, not other facillities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are in a very bad recession so small businesses and stores cannot afford to keep their stores closed!

Plus there is always that one essential that we run out or forget to have stocked in for Christmas, so it makes sense!
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    I assume Spar is a local store and does surprise me a bit. But is it a franchise run by people who do not celebrate Christmas?

As to New Years Day, the papers are publish so local shops will open. I refuse to go shopping in the Big Super Markets. Though as Tesco Express run the local shop on New Year Day I will go in their. But am not a supporter of going in the Tesco Extra Stores. I actually find it sad, when questioned, how could a council improve the town...people said build bigger shops. Seems Quality of Life depends now on the size of shops, not other facillities.

The people at my local corner shop do not celebrate Christmas but the staff at Spar do celebrate Christmas maybe their will be temp staff.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shop local to me which only opened last year is open over Christmas. Which is helpful as last year I forgot a vital ingredient and I was so grateful that they were open.

The guys who run it don't celebrate Christmas, they are great friendly guys and have provided a much needed service here for the forgetful shoppers lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local Non Christian store is always open on 25th of December, they do a great trade in batteries
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the local supermarkets around the corner from my mum's house is always open on christmas day for a few hours.

the neighbour's daughter sometimes went in to work as the pay was quite good and it was only for a couple of hours.

i've always felt though that we'll see christmas day become a normal shopping day at some point in our lives. maybe not for a while, but i just feel that with the way the retail industry is going, they might not really have a choice if some shops want to survive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice a lot more stores are open Boxing day.
    Asda down here was closed last year its open this give them a few more years all will be open on Christmas Day.

you see all these people cramming trollies full of stuff when the shops will be open 24hrs later.Still in the mindset of 20 years ago when the shops would be closed for days over Christmas
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've always felt though that we'll see christmas day become a normal shopping day at some point in our lives.

In Scotland it used to be a normal working day within many people's lifetimes - it only became a public holiday in 1958. We've traditionally made a bigger deal about New Year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No we have them here too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonburn wrote: »

you see all these people cramming trollies full of stuff when the shops will be open 24hrs later.Still in the mindset of 20 years ago when the shops would be closed for days over Christmas

Or they just dont want to got shopping again within the week
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MacDonalds in Preston opened last year, our local shop will be open as will many more.

Agree with you Moonburn, it's like hysteria :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    There is a Costcutter in Aberdeen City Centre which is open 24 hours everyday of the year it has been open since 2006/2007 and it is quite weird thinking that every event that has happened to me these past years that shop has always been open, always open.:eek: It is quite odd when you think about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    There is a Costcutter in Aberdeen City Centre which is open 24 hours everyday of the year it has been open since 2006/2007 and it is quite weird thinking that every event that has happened to me these past years that shop has always been open, always open.:eek: It is quite odd when you think about it.

On Union Street?
    Forum Member
    On Union Street?

Yes that's the one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    MacDonalds in Preston opened last year, our local shop will be open as will many more.

Agree with you Moonburn, it's like hysteria :rolleyes:

Yep.
    If people stood back and just realised how much its changed.
    you see all these people spending 200/300 on food for just one day..:eek:

apparently Next will be starting its sale again on boxing day at 5am.It really has gone like America now just the one day and when you think many stores are starting sales online Christmas day its halfway there to the shops being open.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    M&S is open Christmas Day. It has a BP petrol station outside, but it's Simply M&S. ;) Ditto Tesco across the road.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Asda down here was closed last year its open this give them a few more years all will be open on Christmas Day.

If only they realised the shops would be open 24 hours later they could just do a daily shop as normal eh?
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've always felt though that we'll see christmas day become a normal shopping day at some point in our lives.

this really saddened me :cry:
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work in a Spar shop over 15 years ago - and can remember opening Christmas day on at least one occasion.

We were busy too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Yes that's the one.

I've used that place many times, good too know i can use it on anytime i need
    Forum Member
    I've used that place many times, good too know i can use it on anytime i need

It has been on Christmas day every year that they have been open so I assume that this year will be no different.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spar operates a sort of franchising system where the retailer owns the shop and uses the Spar name under licence, so opening times vary store to store.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

I do miss them days
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    I used to work in a Spar shop over 15 years ago - and can remember opening Christmas day on at least one occasion.

We were busy too.

I work for the wholesaler that has the Spar franchise for Wales, Midlands & East.
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Spar operates a sort of franchising system where the retailer owns the shop and uses the Spar name under licence, so opening times vary store to store.

The reason why I thought it might be nationwide is because it was written on spar official paper with the tagline There For You This Christmas not just a piece of paper it looked as if it was distributed by Spar.