Overweight people

BiancaLDNBiancaLDN Posts: 749
Forum Member
✭✭
I used to be quite overweight myself a few years ago and absolutely hated it - I hated the way I looked, the way clothes fit, the way I felt. So I took up running and changed my diet...

I'm friends with some girl who is quite overweight, and she's just uploaded all these pics of her and her friends - they're all pretty overweight, wearing jackets too small for them, legs bursting out of their jeans and all that.... I guess I just don't get why anyone would be happy to live like that, and walk around feeling like that. Sure there are disabled people who can't exercise etc, but when you're a young person what other excuse is there apart from laziness?

It's worrying how you walk down any high street and you see so many overweight people - it really is.

Comments

• Proposition JoeProposition Joe Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    OP orders diet coke with their Large Big mac meal
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    This thread will end well.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BiancaLDN wrote: »
    I guess I just don't get why anyone would be happy to live like that, and walk around feeling like that. Sure there are disabled people who can't exercise etc, but when you're a young person what other excuse is there apart from laziness?

It's worrying how you walk down any high street and you see so many overweight people - it really is.

See, I don't get why people judge others lifestyles when it's not affecting them, but each to their own and all that.

It's worrying how common it is becoming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    See, I don't get why people judge others lifestyles when it's not affecting them, but each to their own and all that.

Totally agree with this ^.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Having been overweight yourself, surely you understand why they are like they are. You were overweight and eventually found yourself in a place where you desired to change. One day, perhaps they will find themselves in the same place. Until then, stop judging them, because you were exactly the same as them.
  • gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    Just because you werent happy that way doesnt mean others arent.
  • BiancaLDNBiancaLDN Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I just don't get why you wouldn't want to look after the body you were given, it doesn't matter if it's affecting me or not.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

^^^ This.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RemyClarke wrote: »
    Having been overweight yourself, surely you understand why they are like they are. You were overweight and eventually found yourself in a place where you desired to change. One day, perhaps they will find themselves in the same place. Until then, stop judging them, because you were exactly the same as them.

I did something about it - not long after I put the weight on.

Yes, I'm judging but please don't act like any of you haven't ever judged anyone - it's human nature.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RemyClarke wrote: »

Yeah, why is this so hard for people to get their head around?

You, OP, were overweight for a while before you changed your lifestyle and so it's not inconceivable that these people are the very same.

Or maybe they are, y'know, happy as they are? Or have a health problem or mobility issue.

Or who the hell cares.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never saw many overweight people 100 years ago on photographs.
    Forum Member
    I vote for who the hell cares.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    As long as they aren't in front of you in the queue at the buffet, why would you care?
  • gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    My partner would probably be considered overweight by some people. Shes a size 16 and absolutely perfect..infact she looks better now than she did when I met her 7 years ago when she was a size 10. Shes also a lot happier now than she was back then, when she was watching every calorie and spending half of her life exercising just to remain the same size.

In short, different strokes for different folks and that...some may be happier 'fat' than if they were 'thin'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, why is this so hard for people to get their head around?

You, OP, were overweight for a while before you changed your lifestyle and so it's not inconceivable that these people are the very same.

Or maybe they are, y'know, happy as they are? Or have a health problem or mobility issue.

Or who the hell cares.

I mentioned health issues in my OP. Believe me, I suffer from health issues too, and was a carer since the age of 17. A lot of people just 'cba' and would rather log onto Just Eat.
  • Seb ScorchSeb Scorch Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I think too many people are overweight. Fat needs to be trimmed here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My partner would probably be considered overweight by some people. Shes a size 16 and absolutely perfect..infact she looks better now than she did when I met her 7 years ago when she was a size 10. Shes also a lot happier now than she was back then, when she was watching every calorie and spending half of her life exercising just to remain the same size.

In short, different strokes for different folks and that...some may be happier 'fat' than if they were 'thin'.

Good for her, some people are happier that way but it's not always beneficial for one's health and it's worrying that we seem to be a nation of processed food eaters rather than people who like to cook.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know of someone who feeds their children fast food for dinner - is that good for growing children?

When I was a child, my mother would cook each meal. I don't even remember seeing a ready meal in the house.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i dont see why people feel that have the right to ridicule people just because they are overweight, what if they have a nice personally, are helpful, a good friend

i went for a walk yesterday just minding my own business, i passed a group of people in the field and they decided to chant the very original "who ate all the pies" song, i thought wow they thought of that one all by themselves, how clever they must be :rolleyes:, all i did was smiled, waved and said thank you, (not the reaction they were looking for , they were trying to upset me ) but i am glad i didnt let them get to me

i thought of something fantastic i could of said to them when i was nearly home

"don't hate me because im beautiful" ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be quite overweight myself a few years ago and absolutely hated it - I hated the way I looked, the way clothes fit, the way I felt. So I took up running and changed my diet...

I'm friends with some girl who is quite overweight, and she's just uploaded all these pics of her and her friends - they're all pretty overweight, wearing jackets too small for them, legs bursting out of their jeans and all that.... I guess I just don't get why anyone would be happy to live like that, and walk around feeling like that. Sure there are disabled people who can't exercise etc, but when you're a young person what other excuse is there apart from laziness?

Why judge then? Just because you got in shape doesn't automatically give you the right to talk about others. You should know better seeing as you managed to become like the people you're discussing now.

It's like me criticising people for eating junk food just because I gave it up and started healthy eating 2 days ago.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exercise, eat healthy, die anyway. Live and let live, I say. I've known people who were slim and exercised drop dead at 40, and I've known overweight people who spent most of their day on the couch live to 80. Overweight doesn't mean unhealthy inside, and slim doesn't mean healthy inside. Instead of worrying about what other people are or aren't doing, we should all be keeping our noses out and getting on with our own lives.
    Forum Member
    Exercise, eat healthy, die anyway. Live and let live, I say. I've known people who were slim and exercised drop dead at 40, and I've known overweight people who spent most of their day on the couch live to 80. Overweight doesn't mean unhealthy inside, and slim doesn't mean healthy inside. Instead of worrying about what other people are or aren't doing, we should all be keeping our noses out and getting on with our own lives.

Exactamondo.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

well said :)
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    shhhhh wrote: »
    You never saw many overweight people 100 years ago on photographs.

But you also never saw as many old people in photographs either
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why judge then? Just because you got in shape doesn't automatically give you the right to talk about others. You should know better seeing as you managed to become like the people you're discussing now.

LOL I feel as if I'm being attacked because I dared to voice an opinion.
This discussion has been closed.