The mystery of the statue that's moving by itself at the Manchester Museum

dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
Forum Member
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/video-curse-spinning-statue-manchester-4698583

:eek: :confused: It seems to only move the most when people walk past it? If there's something wrong with the display case wouldn't some of the others next to it be doing it too? Is it a prank? All very odd.

Comments

• mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well I'd start by swapping it with a different statue to see if it still happens
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick look at their 2012 Annual Report reveals recent job losses within the museum, the dependency on future funding to achieve current goals, and the likely reduction of funding from 2012-2015. There's also a call to use the collection in innovative ways.

So not much of a mystery after all.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    A quick look at their 2012 Annual Report reveals recent job losses within the museum, the dependency on future funding to achieve current goals, and the likely reduction of funding from 2012-2015. There's also a call to use the collection in innovative ways.

Campbell is urging members of the public to come along and take a look for themselves. “It would be great if someone could solve the mystery,” he added.

Cheeky. :p
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched a film starring Roddy McDowell (aka one of the apes in the Planet Of The Apes films) made in the Sixties in which he brought a dirty great statue to life.....in a museum. That statue was a lot bigger and it murdered people Roddy didn`t like. Could this be a similar case??
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    It seems to be on a glass shelf. I suspect the bottom of the statue is slightly uneven and the vibration of people walking past is making it move on the surface.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    I watched a film starring Roddy McDowell (aka one of the apes in the Planet Of The Apes films) made in the Sixties in which he brought a dirty great statue to life.....in a museum. That statue was a lot bigger and it murdered people Roddy didn`t like. Could this be a similar case??

Only if you live in a world in which ScoobyDoo heads up a crime-busting team of over-aged Californian teens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't move by itself.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top TV boffin Brian Cox is such an obvious choice to sort this one out.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I suspect they've done is to put some kind of magnet on the bottom of it and have some kind of gadget in the display case that moves it slightly, maybe once or twice an hour, to give the impression it's rotating of it's own accord.

I think the fact that it rotates in a perfect circle does rule out any idea of vibration causing the movement as it would be too uneven.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    It seems to be on a glass shelf. I suspect the bottom of the statue is slightly uneven and the vibration of people walking past is making it move on the surface.

Just to add to that...

Looking at the date-codes on the video, it seems to move during the week but then remain still at the weekend.

Traffic flow perhaps causing vibrations? Trains? Generators?

Having said that, if they have a huge Egyptian stone ring which lights up around the edges and seems to be filled with water too, I think we should be told. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the statue has mysteriously attained consciousness, realised it's in Manchester, and is trying to get as far away as possible
  • Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its no mystery its people moving past and vibration.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the fact that it rotates in a perfect circle does rule out any idea of vibration causing the movement as it would be too uneven.

I'm not so sure of that. I've seen objects rotate around their own base before.

I think the video shows us all we need to know. The movement only happens during the day when the museum is open to visitors. It's got to be foot fall that's doing it or something else that only occurs during opening hours. Perhaps a lift or something near by for example. If it were happening at night they'd have a real mystery on their hands. The time lapse makes the movement appear more profound than it actually is. In reality it's just moving a couple mm each day probably.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Only if you live in a world in which ScoobyDoo heads up a crime-busting team of over-aged Californian teens.

Well this thread is full of Velma's then. No fun at all.
  • FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    the statue has mysteriously attained consciousness, realised it's in Manchester, and is trying to get as far away as possible

Occasionally, just occasionally, I do wish DS had a "like" button... :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you have hit the nail on the head.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »

Nah - I know that museum and that display cabinet. The staue is clearly heading for Maccie D's on Oxford Street :D
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it'll start bleeding milk from its eyes, like them virgin mary ones around the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's a Weeping Angel.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, good on the museum for getting free publicity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, good on the museum for getting free publicity.

Yes, there's potentially alot of mileage in this one yet, for the under 10's, and those of limited scepticism,
    Signing of as
    Velma x
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there's potentially alot of mileage in this one yet, for the under 10's, and those of limited scepticism,
    Signing of as
    Velma x

They ruined it for me when they introduced Scrappy. :D
  • ScarletStarletScarletStarlet Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They ruined it for me when they introduced Scrappy. :D

I think it's universally accepted as a fact that Scrappy is a wee pie :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put it in a central cabinet, that'll piss it off :D

*insert rational explanation here*
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    In a cafe window I used to frequent there was a large doll. I used to rock the display with my foot (hidden under the tablecloth) so that in swayed towards children when they paused to look in the window. When the parents were called to look the doll never moved. It scared a few.