Options

Local TV test transmission today

Comments

• Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Maybe the box doesn't support QPSK properly?
    Ah, I've been ignoring QPSK, I suppose I had better go and read that thread now! Every one of my receivers seems to treat this Mux differently.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my issues with receiving this just come down to its relatively low signal strength. Of my five receivers (and I haven't tried the PC tuner yet), two can receive it (although one breaks up a bit), one can see the signal but it's not strong enough to decode and two (the Technika HD boxes) see absolutely nothing. I was never expecting to be able to receive it this far south and Digital UK doesn't think I should, so it's not really a problem.
  • Options
    copiermancopierman Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    LCN 791/792 Local TV from Sutton Coldfield now have colour bars and tone:)
    (Scan CH51)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    copierman wrote: »
    I wonder if Comux will put a test card out on the multiplex now that it's powered up from Sutton Coldfield rather than that boring b&w screen. They must have something at their new National control center in Birmingham they can give us?
    Come on let's have a bit of colour..
    As word gets out and the dealers tune in it would be nice if you tried. Or is there some weird Ofcom regulation stopping you?;)

Colour bars up from this afternoon .:)
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Any testing from Crystal Palace? :)
  • Options
    Think TVThink TV Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Still no signal from CP. Signal strength at 96% for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think TV wrote: »
    Still no signal from CP. Signal strength at 96% for me.
    There's an oxymoron, if ever I read one! :)
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just the carrier on CP yesterday and today. Nothing on the transport stream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When is CP due to launch?
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard its February?
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    Just the carrier on CP yesterday and today. Nothing on the transport stream.

"Just the carrier" would mean there is no modulation- so the transport stream wouldn't even exist. I'm guessing you were actually seeing a transport stream full of null packets - that seems to be a common test configuration - they can test things without risking having any effect on TV from other live muxes - and test before any data links are in place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I wasn't quite sure how to express it. There's a modulated signal with an MPEG2 Transport stream (according to my equipment) but no Programme Association Table on it.

So our options are:
    No Carrier
    Carrier only
    Modulated without TS ?
    TS with TS but null packets
    Full TS but no audio/video
    Working mux

Is that correct?
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tacolneston seems to be much the same at the moment - a signal detected by my Humax PVR which used to show the analogue transmissions where it was quite clear there was something there due to strength but obviously it showed zero quality. The signal presently on UHF 57 is the same, and the TAC engineers have confirmed the transmissions on twitter. However my two Technika boxes don't show anything at present, and I assume this is because there is nothing for them to lock on to. I've been keeping an eye on it all week but don't have any equipment which I can leave monitoring the signal all the time! The mux is due to go into service at the end of January so as several others around the country with a similar service date are already up and running with proper tests, I'm still hopeful of a bit of action before Christmas.
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Sutton Coldfield, the black page with white writing stating "Test Transmission" has now been replaced with a colour bar test screen with the caption "Local TV Test" and a short white bar beneath that bounces from side-to-side.

It is the same on channels 791 and 792.

Also, I live near to the Brierley Hill TX and I can pick up the other multiplexes with reasonable strength and watchable quality (even though the aerial is pointing in the wrong direction at Sutton Coldifeld) and I can see that I am getting a medium strength reading (and the odd occasional flicker of the quality meter) from UHF 29 which is the frequency allocated for Brierley Hill. Anyone with an aerial pointing directly at the Brierley Hill TX care to have a look at UHF 29?
  • Options
    derk weaselderk weasel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone know if the local tv transmission for nottingham from waltham is testing at all?
  • Options
    stuharris63stuharris63 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Am tuned to Brierley Hill TX, and have 90% signal strength and quality on all MUXs, but nothing yet on CH29. When i try and add channels it shows QPSK so i would assume my box should be able to receive the signal correctly.

Strangely i can get the Sutton signal on CH51 occasionally, but then it disappears.
  • Options
    dragon-itdragon-it Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    From Sutton Coldfield, the black page with white writing stating "Test Transmission" has now been replaced with a colour bar test screen with the caption "Local TV Test" and a short white bar beneath that bounces from side-to-side.

It is the same on channels 791 and 792.

Also, I live near to the Brierley Hill TX and I can pick up the other multiplexes with reasonable strength and watchable quality (even though the aerial is pointing in the wrong direction at Sutton Coldifeld) and I can see that I am getting a medium strength reading (and the odd occasional flicker of the quality meter) from UHF 29 which is the frequency allocated for Brierley Hill. Anyone with an aerial pointing directly at the Brierley Hill TX care to have a look at UHF 29?

There was nothing on 29 last night from BH as I had to retune one box. Thnking of swapping to see what Sutton Coldfield signal I can pickup here now anyway, used to fiddle to get Wrekin/Sutton Coldfield/Lichfield on Analogue but no point since BH had the same muxes a mile away..
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone know if the local tv transmission for nottingham from waltham is testing at all?

I've seen a carrier on that frequency (i.e. to my digibox it looks like an analogue channel - high strength but zero quality) but not actually detected any signal my TV cards can resolve. It has however appeared in the NIT which means performing a Network scan on my Humax now takes about ten times longer as it thinks there's something on E26 and searches in vain for it!

The Digital UK postcode checker shows http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/NG1+4BU/ that the local multiplex is due on air before the COM7 multiplex too (that postcode is NTU in the city centre - one of the participants in the licence and they don't even get a green signal! Our office in the city centre shows worse predictions than that too (the only transmitter with all greens being Sutton Coldfield).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Local TV
    The local Tv network is run by COMEX from their control centre in Birmingham it was brought into use end of October early November just prior to the Grimsby launch. At the moment it seems they are gradually testing the feeds to the various Local TV Transmitters ready to turn on the multiplexes. Some time later (several months) the Local TV will start transmitting.
    In Birmingham local Tv.will be transmitted from two masts and two seperate channels, ch51 from Sutton Coldfield and ch29 from Brierly Hill, so far only Sutton has test signals for the Birmingham multiplex
  • Options
    Anti-StaticAnti-Static Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I wasn't quite sure how to express it. There's a modulated signal with an MPEG2 Transport stream (according to my equipment) but no Programme Association Table on it.

So our options are:
    No Carrier
    Carrier only
    Modulated without TS ?
    TS with TS but null packets
    Full TS but no audio/video
    Working mux

Is that correct?

What you are seeing, and many people are reporting, is a PRBS test. In order to un-mute the transmitters for testing purposes they switch on a Pseudorandom Bit Sequence. This will form a nice 8Meg RF signal which contains no valid or decodable data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got some colour bars now (CP)
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    Got some colour bars now (CP)

Thanks for that. Also getting two channels with colour bars, Local TV Test caption and tone from CP. Good quality signal despite being on the edge of area for this MUX - doesn't show up on DigitalUK reception details.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. Also getting two channels with colour bars, Local TV Test caption and tone from CP. Good quality signal despite being on the edge of area for this MUX - doesn't show up on DigitalUK reception details.
    Ditto, getting them out here in the sticks as well, also no reception predicted. The signal does seem to "drop off the cliff" intermittently and is showing up well the different sensitivity of my various tuners.
  • Options
    peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming in well in Horsham apart from the occasional blip.