QI - Series L, BBC2 Fridays 10pm

Comments

• SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Didn`t realise just how beautiful Aisling Bea was before.

Beautiful, funny, and Irish. She really can`t go wrong.

She is very, very lovely (clicky here).
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Long time since I've seen Tony Hawks on TV, decent enough guest. Shame Josh Widdicombe's laugh intruded into the audio a bit too much.

Agree with the Tony Hawks comment, they should have more quests who have not been seen for a while, rather than the merry-go-round of guests we see over and over again.

As for Josh Widdicombe's laugh, that really got under my skin after a while.
  • BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I have no problem with Josh Widdicombe's laugh. He's one of the better panel show comedians, so it's not surprising we see him more often, although I don't think we've seen him that often. Today is the first time I've seen him in months, but I haven't watched the latest HIGNFY yet. It's not unusual for a particular comedian to be booked on a few shows for a week or two and then not be seen for a while.

Nice to see Tony Hawks. I've not seen him for ages.

Aisling Bea is pretty, but rarely funny. Most of her comedy seems to be looking outraged when anything involving Ireland or women is mentioned.

She is one of these female comedians who a couple of years ago nobody had heard of, but now she is on a panel show every few weeks simply because she has a vagina (because of the BBC's new rule and the lack of female comedians to choose from). The others are Katherine Ryan (sometimes funny and seemingly on a show every week) and Sara Pascoe (sometimes funny).

Those who got famous before this rule such as Jo Brand or Sarah Millican are seen less often for some reason (hopefully not related to looks).
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a good episode. One of the best of the series.

They need more new faces, but old pros, like Hawkes.
    I like Ashling Bea and also think Pascoe is getting better on panel shows.

I have no problem with Widdecombe laughing along as it shows he's enjoying the humour of the other guests.

In general...
    Panel shows went through a phase of the panel being ruthless to just get their bit on the edit and would shout over each other to do it.

Merton sometimes completely ignores his teammate and seems to be for different reasons. Either he doesn't like them or their humour, or they're getting the laughs and he doesn't like that.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    I hope Kathy Lette didn't get paid for that. Pathetic.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to equate modern Japan needing to invent a device to mask their pee-pee noises with their barbaric militaristic behaviour of the 1930-40s.

Heavy historical point aside, I still feel the need to punch Ross Noble quite hard, I don't know why , but I do.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    It's hard to equate modern Japan needing to invent a device to mask their pee-pee noises with their barbaric militaristic behaviour of the 1930-40s.

Heavy historical point aside, I still feel the need to punch Ross Noble quite hard, I don't know why , but I do.

I've posted this before and I'll probably post it again.

Ross Noble is completely unsuited to QI, he ruins every episode he appears on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I just can't watch it if Ross is on.Alan Davies fills the annoying quota on his own:)
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AA2009 wrote: »
    I hope Kathy Lette didn't get paid for that. Pathetic.

Who is she.?:confused:
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    No XL version this week?
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody snooker >:(

Maybe tomorrow or Monday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    No XL version this week?

Can't see it on my planner. Looks like I'll have to watch the short version on iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See, if they just put the full version on first this sort of thing wouldn't happen >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems pretty pointless having a short and long version of the same show, could understand it if they were censored and uncensored versions, but that's not the case with this. Maybe it's a cheap way to fill airtime.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josh's laugh has nothing on Jimmy Carr which was picked up by Alistair McGowan as being so ridiculous on Countdown this week.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems pretty pointless having a short and long version of the same show, could understand it if they were censored and uncensored versions, but that's not the case with this. Maybe it's a cheap way to fill airtime.

Very true since it goes at at 10 pm anyway. Probably have to wait and see if DAVE pick it up. Bit of a wait of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Very true since it goes at at 10 pm anyway. Probably have to wait and see if DAVE pick it up. Bit of a wait of course.
    I think in the past they have slotted the xl version in a couple of weeks later when there's no normal show. Too late then of course as you've watched the short version by then and so have to sit through two thirds of it twice.
  • BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Not a great episode. Just about saved by Ross Noble. Perhaps there isn't an XL edition due to lack of funny content at the recording.

For anyone who wants to know what the Viking word means, it's basically **** (rass being arse and ragr being unmanly). Stephen Fry may have overreacted about its offensiveness, although I guess it's more offensive to him.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is only the 3rd episode of the current series I've watched but Alan Davies still hasn't learnt when it's time to let a joke go.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I just LOVE this programme!! But I don't know what is a new series or what is old half of the time!! Are the BBC 2 ones new? I know the 'Dave' shows are repeats - but half the time I'm sure they are repeated on BBC !
    I watch them all - whatever - my memory is bad anyway!! It's still good for a laugh and learn something new at the same time! :D
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is only the 3rd episode of the current series I've watched but Alan Davies still hasn't learnt when it's time to let a joke go.

I wish they would get rid of him. He is not funny. He goes on way too long. On last night's episode the part about the beluga whale, just wasn't funny and he kept on and on and on.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I think I'm the only one that doesn't hate Alan Davies!
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
    I don't hate him, but I do wish he'd realise that it's time to move on and not repeat something over and over again,