Options

'The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies' -ITV drama about Joanna Yeates

Comments

• Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I've only watched the first part and then a news report on youtube from the time. The actor playing CJ has the speech pattern imitated perfectly. It's uncanny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a superb drama. credit to all concerned and to itv.
  • Options
    nemesisisnemesisis Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    just watched both episodes on catch up - one of the best shows I have watched for ages - made me very emotional to see how the media made an innocent man into a guilty pervert (without any evidence) just because he was slightly eccentric - certainly made me think about some of the rubbish the papers print
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only watched the first part and then a news report on youtube from the time. The actor playing CJ has the speech pattern imitated perfectly. It's uncanny.
    I agree it is indeed uncanny and in fact as i said in my earlier post at times i felt i was watching the real Christopher Jefferies. Makeup artists can do amazing things with facial appearances but the voice tone and mannerisms are quite another matter. Jason Watkins did a brilliant job.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The real Jefferies was interviewed the other night on World Service radio.
    His voice is similar but not quite as exaggerated as portrayed in the Drama.
    Is it possible Jefferies had a mild form of Aspergers?
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last scene was a bit strange for the boyfriend to ask Jeffries if the flat had been re rented & if the new couple "Knew what happened" bit strange if they didnt.!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that last scene was very poignant because even as the boyfriend was planting his "memory garden" future tenants were forgetting. And thats life.Harrowing things happen,become front page news for a while, and then disappear.Life goes on, tenants need homes.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    I thought that last scene was very poignant because even as the boyfriend was planting his "memory garden" future tenants were forgetting. And thats life.Harrowing things happen,become front page news for a while, and then disappear.Life goes on, tenants need homes.

I agree with you. Life was moving on , but not for the boyfriend. It was a reminder that for some there is no moving on . The impact and pain will stay.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I agree with you. Life was moving on , but not for the boyfriend. It was a reminder that for some there is no moving on . The impact and pain will stay.

Great points. I just want to add that I thought the actor playing Greg (Matthew Barker) was excellent, especially in this scene. He really portrayed the almost unbearable grief of Greg.
  • Options
    linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    Excellent drama -well done ITV. Were we told how much Jefferies was paid by the Press? If we were, I missed it.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    linfran wrote: »
    Excellent drama -well done ITV. Were we told how much Jefferies was paid by the Press? If we were, I missed it.

No, we weren't told. The actual figure has never been disclosed but is believed to be several hundred thousand pounds.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant piece of drama. Was enthralled throughout the whole two programmes.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it and it was very well acted.

However form interviews I have seen it is obvious that the portrayal of Jefferies in this was very sympathetic compared to the man himself and how he did indeed conduct himself at the time of the enquiry..

How did he conduct himself at the time of the enquiry?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And didn't Jefferies sell his flat in the end, in his own attempt to move on and leave behind what must have been horrendous memories?
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible Jefferies had a mild form of Aspergers?

Why not - its the goto solution for most things these days.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    What made the police think he had done it.
    It was all very odd. They didn't appear to have anything at all to go on.
    Poor man, if this show is true to the story then I blame the police as much as the media.

Didn't Tabak sort of set him up - saying the car was parked the other way round and that he was behaving nervously/suspiciously when he saw him the following morning?

Sorry - I'm late to the discussion here. I thought it was a brilliantly done drama - we should have more stuff like this on TV.
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the whole programme was excellently done and Jason Watkins portrayed Christopher Jeffries amazingly well.
    I really felt for CJ as he seems a dignified and decent man who certainly did not deserve the awful treatment he received.
    I hope he is now enjoying his life and his compensation, he deserves it. He did nothing to anyone, was just living quietly.
    This drama was very good and I would like to see more of the same.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Distressing that the press and police are still not giving anonymity to people spoke to about crimes yet go overboard as much as saying it's a crime itself to reveal names of 'victims'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Normally I would record quality drama such as this when broadcast on Independent TV channels, Foyle, Morse etc and FF through the ads later on but the memory of this real life drama was so recent and so incensed was I at what the Press got up to, that I had to watch as it was being broadcast.

For me to sit through ads on a non BBC channel says a lot about the class of this production.

Also, I'm so pleased Mr Jefferies got justice.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    The last scene was a bit strange for the boyfriend to ask Jeffries if the flat had been re rented & if the new couple "Knew what happened" bit strange if they didnt.!
    Because there are certainly people who wouldn't want to live in an apartment or house where a murder has been committed, especially one that has been high profile. I suppose that's why Joanna's boyfriend asked.

Nice how Jefferies (Watkins) was quick to respond by telling him he was welcome to come anytime to tend to the little garden patch.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Because there are certainly people who wouldn't want to live in an apartment or house where a murder has been committed, especially one that has been high profile. I suppose that's why Joanna's boyfriend asked.

Fred West's house and the Philpots house in Derby, have been demolished.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »

Why assume they would know, unless told? They may have been living abroad.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    pedrok wrote: »
    How did he conduct himself at the time of the enquiry?

Here's a clip of him giving his evidence doesn't seem to conduct himself badly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Here's a clip of him giving his evidence doesn't seem to conduct himself badly.

Link?
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    Fred West's house and the Philpots house in Derby, have been demolished.

Scenes of multiple deaths though.

It wouldn't really be practical demolishing a flat in a beautiful old and historic house because of one murder would it? I guess there are loads of dwellings where unsavoury things have happened.
This discussion has been closed.