Options

Buying alcohol "by proxy"

Comments

• Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sainsburys are gits for it. They would not let my OH buy booze with our weekly shop because I was with him and did not have ID.

It might be the law but it is totally OTT.

Were told the same in asda, the supermarkets arte going ott, its the licencing authorties to blame, in scotland we have the strictest of any licencing laws

There even a mother who used to buy the alcohol for her son, but the store found out, and she had two options, the son get id, at the moment he hasnt any, or they ban her fromt he store

How did this come about, a collegue was on the shop floor and over heard the boy, I pay you later mum, the sake was refused, but later on the mother came and tried to buy the same alcohol, was refused for a second time

The mother took the advice, and the son got him self some id

And I dont care if a parent tells me, its not for my son, its for me..how do I know it for the dad
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    use the on line shopping option, they never ask for ID

Yes they do, but most time, it will be the parent who come to the door, if the child is in on his own, the driver will remove the alcohol, and a note will be left...pick alcohol up from shop, or rearrange delivery
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    At Asda they ID you......... in the aisle!!

I picked up a couple of crates, and a guy came over saying "You know you have to be 18 to buy that"

"Yes, I am 18,"

- "Well, do you have any ID?"

- "Yes, but can't I just show it at the till?"

- "No, we can ask to see it here"

- "Well I've sorta got my hands full here, "

In the end I just gave in and put it all down and showed him,
    bloody stupid doing that, they may as well just go around asking people in the aisles, "Do you have the money to pay for that?"

It part of the store licence, as well as being challenge at the checkout, random checks must be done in the isle, and if you dont have id, your asked to leave the store

The was this coupleat my checkout today, I asked the female, why isnt your son in school, answer cause he is 26 yrs old, but looked 14

Now if he was buying alcohol, security would straight away approach him, as he dosnt look 18
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    It part of the store licence, as well as being challenge at the checkout, random checks must be done in the isle, and if you dont have id, your asked to leave the store

The was this coupleat my checkout today, I asked the female, why isnt your son in school, answer cause he is 26 yrs old, but looked 14

Now if he was buying alcohol, security would straight away approach him, as he dosnt look 18

Why would you think a fourteen year old should be in at school in August?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Why would you think a fourteen year old should be in at school in August?
    Im in glasgow, and schools went back this week :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? Fair enough then. I beg your pardon

But also - what a swizz for them!
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to know where teenagers get their **** and booze from if adults seemingly struggle to buy any?

I only have to look at all the photos on my 16yr old's facebook to see that there isn't a photo of her or her mates without a **** in one hand and a can of cheap booze in the other!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Fair enough then. I beg your pardon

But also - what a swizz for them!

They break up for their hols earlier, presumably because their summer ends sooner than ours?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    The only way to deal with this, as you said, is to refuse them your custom, and buy your alcohol from small retailers and off license. The cheap alcohol from supermarkets is not worth dealing with some "computer says no" corporate jobsworth every time you want a drink. Money is the only language they understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to know where teenagers get their **** and booze from if adults seemingly struggle to buy any?

I only have to look at all the photos on my 16yr old's facebook to see that there isn't a photo of her or her mates without a **** in one hand and a can of cheap booze in the other!

seem some teenagers get the **** and booze form the local pakistani grocer, who willing to seel to kids under 18

At least 6 shop keepers in the area have lost there licence, and fined, they knwe the kids were under 18 but still chosed to sell the cigs and booze, and all because of the money

The got found out, because people in the area began to satrt to complain, that they suspewct the shop near them was selling to under 18
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seem some teenagers get the **** and booze form the local pakistani grocer, who willing to seel to kids under 18

At least 6 shop keepers in the area have lost there licence, and fined, they knwe the kids were under 18 but still chosed to sell the cigs and booze, and all because of the money

The got found out, because people in the area began to satrt to complain, that they suspewct the shop near them was selling to under 18

It's definitely not my local shop, they wouldn't even sell my daughter a can of squirty cream :D
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But why did you ask why he was not in school, surely Supermarkets have not now become truant patrols ? Or was it just polite chit chat
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quoted from Direct Gov:

Alcohol and the law

Even though it’s not illegal to drink alcohol at home if you’re under 18, it’s healthier if you don’t. If you do want to drink, you should only do it with a parent or another responsible adult.

It is illegal to try and buy alcohol at a bar or at any shop until you reach 18. It’s also against the law for anyone to try and buy it for you.

You’re actually allowed to go into family areas of a pub from the age of 5, but only if they have a special ‘children’s certificate’. Once you reach 14, you’re allowed to go anywhere in a pub, but you won’t be able to buy any alcohol.

16 and 17-year-olds can order and drink beer, wine or cider with a meal at a restaurant or pub where food is served. You can only do this if there is an adult with you.

The police can now stop people under 18 if they think they may be carrying alcohol. If you are stopped and you're carrying alcohol, the police can confiscate it. It's also an offence to be regularly found in possession of alcohol.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/HealthandRelationships/ConcernedAbout/DG_183882

And:

Drinking at home

It is not illegal for a person under 18 to drink alcohol at home or at a friend’s house. Parents can choose to give young people some of their own alcohol when at home.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/Youngpeopleandalcohol/DG_10026211
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    But why did you ask why he was not in school, surely Supermarkets have not now become truant patrols ? Or was it just polite chit chat

It was polite chit chat, :D
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My solution would be to have those arses from the Trading Standards mooching round town challenging chavvy kids who are smoking to produce ID to show they are old enough to smoke.

It is not a criminal offence to smoke under the age of 18.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Liparus wrote: »
    It is not a criminal offence to smoke under the age of 18.

Exactly, in fact the minimum age is still 16 despite the age to purchase them being 18.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Exactly, in fact the minimum age is still 16 despite the age to purchase them being 18.
    You can, smoke, kill, and F***, but you cant buy cigs, cant drink, or buy 18 rated sex videos
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH had a similar problem with Scratchcards.

He put down his shopping at the till and at that point my son, who was 18 at the time but looks younger, asked his dad to buy him a Scratchcard. He asked for one but the woman refused to sell it to him..

She said my son needed ID which he didn't have even though it was my OH that was paying. I would have let it go but OH is more argumentative and said just because he's asked for the Scratchcard doesn't mean I'll let him have it! But she still refused to serve him.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    Did she actually achieve anything????? And is there really such a thing as "buying alcohol by proxy" when you are simply accompanied by your child?

Yep - Section 149 of the Licensing Act 2003, buying alcohol for or on behalf of children. The penalties imposed upon the shops and their staff are incredibly harsh so the shops and staff are, quite understandably, very apprehensive.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Somner wrote: »
    Yep - Section 149 of the Licensing Act 2003, buying alcohol for or on behalf of children. The penalties imposed upon the shops and their staff are incredibly harsh so the shops and staff are, quite understandably, very apprehensive.

Yes, but refusing to sell to a parent because they have their child/children with them is borderline retarded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but refusing to sell to a parent because they have their child/children with them is borderline retarded.

For the record, strictor licencing laws excist in scotland

It all depends, we have been told to use discrection, we need be, if a parent is there along with there sone or daughter, and its mostly wine, you dont need to consider asking for id

But how ever, if there was lager, or mixed vodka, you might have to consider asking the youth for id

If I was to do this a year ago, the mother or father, would shout down at me, now a days, every parent, and there 18 yr old son/daughter, know there a possibility they will be asked for id
  • Options
    Forum Member

Like I said, Trading Standards come down hard on the retailers and it looks awful for them too. They are perfectly within their rights to refuse sale to anybody for any reason, as long as it's not discriminatory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some customers dont realize challenge 25 appies to all age related products

Cigerettes
    Fireworks
    Alcohol
    Knives
    Videos
    Games
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    For the record, strictor licencing laws excist in scotland

It all depends, we have been told to use discrection, we need be, if a parent is there along with there sone or daughter, and its mostly wine, you dont need to consider asking for id

But how ever, if there was lager, or mixed vodka, you might have to consider asking the youth for id

That is completely ridiculous, even in Scotland. The Scottish variant of the Licensing Acts don't change anything regarding proxy sales.

It is completely pointless to ask a child for ID when with their parent who is buying alcohol because the parent can legally buy alcohol for their child to consume responsibly at home. Asking for ID gains nothing. Literally nothing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    That is completely ridiculous, even in Scotland. The Scottish variant of the Licensing Acts don't change anything regarding proxy sales.

It is completely pointless to ask a child for ID when with their parent who is buying alcohol because the parent can legally buy alcohol for their child to consume responsibly at home. Asking for ID gains nothing. Literally nothing!

It's not necessarily about the laws. Licensing conditions can be imposed whereby the license can be revoked if a shop is seen to be selling alcohol to people who then pass it on to children, with the shop being aware that this is happening.

Also imagine how it would look if the woman and the child walk outside, the woman gives the child the booze and they part ways.