Sony Duo Cards

Hi there,

My mobile currently has a Sony Duo card as the source for external memory (128Mb), however, the step-up from this are the Sony Pro Duo Cards which seem to be the same cards, just of the range 128Mb through to 2GB.

Is this correct?

If so, can my Jessops reader that currently reads everything under the sun including my Sony Duo Card, read a Pro Duo Card - i.e. - is it the same physical size?

Thanks.

:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    they are not the same size but you should get an adaptor cover that you slot the pro duo into. this makes it usable in a card reader.
  • WordLifeWordLife Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're not the same size then how come the K750i apparently takes both types without the need for an adapter? :confused:
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    I would check Sony's website for compatability with your phone for the "Duo Pro" line.

I wouldn't have thought that all Sony products can accept the newer Pro Duo cards, but as a general rule anything recent should be able to. But check - and look in the manual.

As for your card reader, I don't know for sure. I would guess that it would read Pro Duo cards like any other, only that the transfer would be faster, and that you'd have more space on the card - I'm not sure of the "under the hood" changes made between memory sticks/memory stick pro's apart from the faster transfer rate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 2 phyical sizes of memory sticks,

the big one like a stick of chewing gum are "Memory stick"
    the smaller ones about the size of a postage stamp are "memory stick Duo"
    A duo will sometimes need a simple addapotor so that is can be used as a "memory Stick(chewing gum)"

the are 2 sets or data size, if it is over 256mb (I think) then it becomes a PRO, this is for both "memory sticks" and "Memory stick Duo"

also look here
    http://www.memorystick.com/en/ms/variety.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most 3rd party memory stick duos come with an adaptor to make it fit a normal MS slot.

The only difference with Pro, as stated above, is the size of the STORAGE (not physical size), and the data access rate. I'd imagine your card reader will be fine with them.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pingu wrote:
    I'd imagine your card reader will be fine with them.

It is - cheers.

Sticking with the theme of the W810i, I can use the card reader for most jobs, however SE's software's a bit iffy - for syhnchronising with OL, I presume B/Tooth's the only option, as I can't with their software.

There are two modes: File Transfer and Phone Mode, however Phone Mode doesn't seem to work - it just sits there and does the usual SE thing of 'Not Connected'.

:S