why are car CD players so ****ing exspensive?

when a Computer cd or dvd drive ranges from £10 to £30, i dont see the reason for car cd players to be so exspensive. the cheapest 1 i found is at £70 in argos here

i would like to know the reason for this?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You pay for what you get

CD-rom is just the drive

Car CD players cd-rom, Amplifier, radio.

Also higher quality components

Not bad for 70 quid
  • GrimmyGrimmy Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a radio cassette in the car already? What about this for a cheap and cheerful solution?

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=651&productId=49422

You'd need an anti-shock personal CD player as well though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The previous poster has kind of touched on the reason for the higher cost of car CD stereos - you need mechanisms to counter the normal vibrations and shocks you get in a car whilst driving, so what you will find is most have an anti-shock mechanism backed up by a data buffering system - very similar to that you get on many portable CD players now.

If it wasn't for the buffering and anti-shock mechanisms, your CD would be barely listenable to in a car - it would just stop playing every few seconds due to the shocks or skip hidiously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they? I didn't realise - I got a 5 disc autochanger included when I bought my car! :D
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think £70 is amazing value for money for an in car CD player!

Don't forget that it's not just a CD rom in a different cover, it's a stereo amplier and 3 band radio, all fitted into a compact case.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well I got a 10 disc Sony system for £40 because the retailer buggered up the "buy now pay later" and they fitted it too :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    My old setup involved an undead 4-speed CD-ROM, with some extra electronics butchered on to give the right input voltage, with it's audio socket running into the line in socket on my tape deck. Worked quite well for 6 months until the drive died.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by 3Faze
    My old setup involved an undead 4-speed CD-ROM, with some extra electronics butchered on to give the right input voltage, with it's audio socket running into the line in socket on my tape deck. Worked quite well for 6 months until the drive died.
    LOL - that sounds like the sort of 'stereo system' a mate of mine at university had in his car - a walkman plugged into a set of 10w stereo PC speakers all running off AA batteries :D
  • __DareD3vil____DareD3vil__ Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Power output 4 x 16 watt RMS.
    FM/MW/LW digital tuner.
    24 pre-sets.
    RDS/EON.
    (PS) program service name.
    TA (traffic announcement).
    AF (auto frequency).
    Single CD player with random/play mode.
    CD-R compatible.
    Bass and treble controls.
    3 pre-set sounds.
    Loudness control.
    Removable faceplate.
    Direct track access.
    Line output.
    Telephone mute.
    Compu-play (single button power-up).
    That price £70 sounds about right.
    My old Pioneer 3400-r wasnt anywhere near top of the range but for £120 it was well worth it when i originally wanted the 6400-r model for £200 which was at top with the best of Pioneer - at the time.

That car cd player is good for just normal listening, nothing quality.
    That list above is pretty much standard on all low-end head units.
    The Pioneer 3400 had all that plus...
    2 pre-outs
    high volt out put
    4 x 27W rms MOSFET
    face off
    and other stuff you might not understand

Now these are quality...
    http://www.newimagecarhifi.com/product_details.asp?company_name=Pioneer&product_id=PIODEHP9400MP
    http://www.newimagecarhifi.com/product_details.asp?company_name=Pioneer&product_id=pioavhp6400cd
  • jnojno Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slightly off topic I know, but has anyone got or know of a car radio, or alarm clock that supports the shortwave SW band?

Incidentally, car CD players here in Austria where I live are not much cheaper than UK prices - check out the equiavlent of Currys here:

Mediamarkt.at