Options

What would fit my needs

Hi,
I'm new to this forum so forgive me if someone has already asked this, but I have a question which I hope someone here can answer it's this,

We like Karaoke and I have a Karaoke player in the house, but I would like to replace most of my equipment with a more central controlled system so my needs are
All my music CD's held on a Hard Disk
A good Home Entertainment centre to provide the sound for my TV, Music Centre, DVD and Karaoke I looked at the Bose 28 but when I saw the price quickly closed down the window, I have around £900 to spend my priorities are
Sound Quality
Sound Quality
and Quality of the Sound :) :cool:
I have a 32" Tosh TFT TV. Wife won't let me get a 42" :rolleyes:
Sharp HiFi
Panasonic Karaoke

Anyone with any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jim

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Jombo! :)

If you don't own a PC, then skip the next paragraph.

I currently store my CD album collection on my PC in MP3 format. The 192 albums only take just over 10 Gigabytes of space, so plenty of room left on my 80 Gigabyte hard drive. The jukebox software I run is free. Plenty of soundcards now have digital outputs (sometimes coaxial and optical) which give awesome quality when run into a modern home theatre amplifier.

Very good famous brand home theatre amps and seperate speakers are available from 'Richer Sounds' for stupidly low prices. I never but any hifi gear without looking at them first. Search for them with 'Google'. Almost sure to be a branch in your neck of the woods.

All home theatre amplifiers have a choice of several surround effects which usually include various things like Dolby ProLogic, Hall, Live Club, Dance Club, Pavilion, Theatre, etc. Some do actually have a Karaoke mode. They also support one or more of the professional movie standards such as Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS. Plug your DVD player in and it will sound mind blowing!

You could most likely afford a dream system and treat yourselves to a nice holiday on a £900 budget. They also sell 42" Plasma TVs at silly prices too... but don't tell the wife! ;)

And no, I don't work for them. They just happen to be THE best hifi shops I have ever been to!

Hope this was the kind of info you needed. Good luck!

Cheers, Slipstreem. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi Slipstream
    It was a bit of a typo when I set my account up as I was trying to type jimbo. Not much of a typist as you can see,

I do have a PC in the house, but I never thought about using this for storing my music on Dh'o !!

Anyway thanks for this information, and I have just checked out Richer Sounds and I can see why you use them :cool:

The TV's are well priced but not well enough for my wife :mad: :rolleyes: ;)

I'll start going through the home cinema info as see what I come out with :)

While I’m on the subject, ( a bit cheeky) but, do you know of any software for the PC which will play VCD's ( Karaoke disks)

Cheers
    Jim.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi J(i/o)mbo! :)

VCD discs are recorded in MPEG-1. Any MPEG-1 compatible software players should run it. As far as I know, PowerDVD and WinDVD for the PC will both do it.

If you want to turn your PC into a full-blown media centre and are running WindowsXP, then take a look here :-

http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/

The software is totally free and gives your machine multimedia features that nothing else can match! :cool:

Hope all goes well.

Have fun!

Cheers, Slipstreem. :D