Madeleine:The Last Hope ? BBC1 25/4/12

Comments

• aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these the infamous 48 questions that a certain Website think the McCanns need to answer or are they genuine Police questions ?

Isn't it unusual for a Police Force to publish questions that people helping in an ongoing police enquiry refused to answer ?

Not sure what you mean by certain website :confused: but anyway they are actual questions from the investigation. Mrs McCann did not answer them, but Mr McCann did, if I remember correctly.

As for them being published, when a case is archieved in Portugal, it is part of their legal procedure that the police files are made available to interested parties. I would imagine that the interest in these particular files probably took them aback a bit and they are probably the only ones to be so widely available, but genuine they are.
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree .The abduction assumption was a strange part of this story .From the moment she went missing the " they took her , she has been taken " seemed to be implanted in peoples minds .
    I am guessing that the vast majority of people who find a child is missing will first presume it has wandered off . Oddly here she was presumed to be taken within minutes . Despite no evidence to back it up at all they launched into the abduction theory and phoned papers and embassys etc . Most people would be on their hands and knees searching every inch , evey nook , every cranny of the town .

This is why from the first moment I heard this story something hasn't rung true. An abduction really doesn't seem to be the obvious conclusion to come to at all. She may have assumed the hotel staff took her at first, which would explain why she felt comfortable leaving the twins while she went back to the tapas bar. Even so, after realising they hadn't why was she so convinced she hadn't wandered off.

No parent of a 3/4 year old can ever claim to 'know' exactly what their child is or isn't capable of. I wouldnt claim to 'know' my 7 year old wouldn't wander off somewhere and get lost despite him being incredibly sensible and bright.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Yes, but you know what these foreigners are like. They all stick together.

Furthermore, we should all heed a certain contributor to this thread and get four-square behind the McCanns because they're BRITISH, dammit!

(starts playing Land of Hope and Glory on portable wind-up gramophone...)

The voice of reason! :D
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The point made by Panorama (and many other sources as well) is that whatever evidence there might have been was destroyed by the police allowing all sorts of people (including journalists) to trample through the flat instead of sealing it immediately, which is the normal police procedure, certainly in the UK and US. It is quite possible that one or more of these people removed items from the flat which might well have been relevant.Also have we ever been told if the two children still in the flat (and apparently asleep and untouched) ever saw or heard anything ?

The 'crime scene' was contaminated before the police arrived by the McCanns and friends wandering around the apartment. Another inaccuracy of the Panorama documentary, which implied that the contamination was caused by the police.

The twins slept through the 'abduction', the searches, the initial police presence. Kate McCann thought they might have been drugged, and even checked that they were breathing...yet did not take them to a doctor to be checked over, or even request that they be examined to check for drugs in their systems. Remember that, for all she knew, they could have been given something toxic or given an overdose of whatever drug was used by the 'abductor'.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »
    Am I allowed to post a link to the 48 questions that Kate refused to answer?

I think if the link is to a newspaper site, then it would probably be ok, I don't think DS likes such to blogs and forum types of sites, especially sites that have a huge interest in this particular subject.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    The 'crime scene' was contaminated before the police arrived by the McCanns and friends wandering around the apartment. Another inaccuracy of the Panorama documentary, which implied that the contamination was caused by the police.

The twins slept through the 'abduction', the searches, the initial police presence. Kate McCann thought they might have been drugged, and even checked that they were breathing...yet did not take them to a doctor to be checked over, or even request that they be examined to check for drugs in their systems. Remember that, for all she knew, they could have been given something toxic or given an overdose of whatever drug was used.

Yes another bizzare part of this tale .Kate Mc Cann would be very very aware of paediatric doses being vital .She would know that a small child could be overdosed very easily and if she had even and tiny doubt in her mind as a doctor her instincts should be to have them tested
    In her book she says she did wonder , she felt their foreheads and had a niggle if they could have been give drugs .Yet she did nothing , in fact she allowed them be moved to another apartment , they stiill never woke and no one thought to get the babies looked at ? Very very bizzare when there were doctors in the group .
  • SuperSal1SuperSal1 Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we all at least agree that whatever happened to Maddie is a complete mystery? And that the Panorama programme and Redwood's comments have not helped in the search in any way?

Well, a retired solicitor who has spent the last 5 years trying to solve the mystery is being taken to court by Carter Ruck on behalf of the Mccanns for contempt of court for still talking about the 'mystery', having been legally silenced previously.

CR have written to him "our recorded time costs in relation to the application to commit you for contempt of court are well in excess of £120,000 including Counsel's fees, other disbursements and VAT (where appropriate)" - and this is before the case even gets to court!

That's where your donations are going. That's where the fund is being spent. NOT on searching for Maddie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes another bizzare part of this tale .Kate Mc Cann would be very very aware of paediatric doses being vital .She would know that a small child could be overdosed very easily and if she had even and tiny doubt in her mind as a doctor her instincts should be to have them tested
    In her book she says she did wonder , she felt their foreheads and had a niggle if they could have been give drugs .Yet she did nothing , in fact she allowed them be moved to another apartment , they stiill never woke and no one thought to get the babies looked at ? Very very bizzare when their where doctors in the group .

I suppose you could say as there were doctors in the group one of them may have checked the twins, although as they never actually woke up I'm not sure I can believe this.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In her book she says she did wonder , she felt their foreheads and had a niggle if they could have been give drugs .Yet she did nothing , in fact she allowed them be moved to another apartment , they stiill never woke and no one thought to get the babies looked at ? Very very bizzare when their where doctors in the group .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1386093/Kate-McCann-Kidnapper-drugged-twins-night-Madeleine-taken.html

Kate McCann said the kidnapper who seized Madeleine may also have drugged her other two children, as she launched a new appeal in the hunt for her missing girl today.

Mrs McCann said she had to check that twins Sean and Amelie were still breathing because they did not wake as they began a frantic search for the missing three-year-old........................................................................................................................................................................................................Asked if the twins had been drugged, she said on BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour today: 'On the night I just remember the twins lying in the cot and not moving - with lights going on and people moving around.

'There was a lot of noise and they just didn't move and I remember several times checking for chest movements. I did feel it was a bit strange that they were not moving let alone waking up.

• LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fifilapew wrote: »
    This is why from the first moment I heard this story something hasn't rung true. An abduction really doesn't seem to be the obvious conclusion to come to at all. She may have assumed the hotel staff took her at first, which would explain why she felt comfortable leaving the twins while she went back to the tapas bar. Even so, after realising they hadn't why was she so convinced she hadn't wandered off.

No parent of a 3/4 year old can ever claim to 'know' exactly what their child is or isn't capable of. I wouldnt claim to 'know' my 7 year old wouldn't wander off somewhere and get lost despite him being incredibly sensible and bright.

The wandering out of the apartment is really one of the only theories that sort of makes sense, because there were NO stranger fingerprints found in the apartment or DNA or anything....

IF Maddy did not wander off say then whoever took her had PLANNED to take her, hence wearing gloves and dark clothing as not to be seen.

IF the person Jane Tanner saw was carrying Maddy he was shown to have bear hands. When did he take the time to take his gloves off? Surely if he had just lifted this little girl out of the apartment window and was carrying her along the road, he would not stop to take his gloves off.

There is no way he could have gone into the apartment without touching something. If my memory serves me the bedroom door was left nearly closed....he/she would have also had to negotiate the patio door, and if they went out the window they would have touched the window in some way.

Thats the crutch of this whole thing NO FORENSICS.

Now that doesnt mean to me she wasnt taken because i am convinced if this child was abducted she went more or less as soon as the parents went to dinner. That is the only time that would make sense if someone was lurking and watching....

Perhaps Maddy did wake up and decided she was angry with her mum and dad and did wander off, perhaps in the dark she was seen and taken by someone, or perhaps she decided to teach her parents a lesson and went to hide..kids are capable of doing lots of things, perhaps she fell down the stairs outside if she had to climb over the child gate which was shut at the top and fell into the bushes. Wasnt there blood indicated there?

i have never believed foul play by the parents but I have a belief and have always done so that she knew who took her.

Another point too if Mr Smith felt that the guy carrying the child reminded him of gerry McCann then surely it seems the person who took her was more British European, then swarthy European....

There were 2 guys who are in prison in Scotland I believe who could have been in the area at the time. Although they had a thing for young boys anything is possible. I did actually find a photograph of this guy on the Internet and he looked remarkably like Gerry McCann almost spookingly so.

LIke I say if this was an abduction it was planned to the smallest detail and timing....

Poor baby.x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose you could say as there were doctors in the group one of them may have checked the twins, although as they never actually woke up I'm not sure I can believe this.

One of the main thing to check with a suspected overdose would be neurological checks . ie pulse , pupil size and reaction and very importantly waking them hourly to asses their level of conciousness . Kate would well know that as would any doctor .Also drugs can do damage quietly to organs without an outer sign initially .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the main thing to check with a suspected overdose would be neurological checks . ie pulse , pupil size and reaction and very importantly waking them hourly to asses their level of conciousness . Kate would well know that as would any doctor .Also drugs can do damage quietly to organs without an outer sign initially .

I'm also surprised she didn't want to wake them and ask them any questions, they would have been talking at that age, I'm surprised the police didnt ask for them to be woken.

There are so many things I find odd about this case Gerry Mccanns bizarre statement like the one about doing a 1 year anniversary:confused: The fact that they felt happy leaving the twins with the crèche staff all day a matter of days after Maddie went missing, something no one would feel comfortable with if there was an abductor at large.

The way their 'heartfelt' ' pleas to the abductor seem to have been read from written notes.

Whether it makes them guilty of anything other than neglect is arguable though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm also surprised she didn't want to wake them and ask them any questions, they would have been talking at that age, I'm surprised the police didnt ask for them to be woken.

There are so many things I find odd about this case Gerry Mccanns bizarre statement like the one about doing a 1 year anniversary:confused: The fact that they felt happy leaving the twins with the crèche staff all day a matter of days after Maddie went missing, something no one would feel comfortable with if there was an abductor at large.

The way their 'heartfelt' ' pleas to the abductor seem to have been read from written notes.

Yes, and I am guessing we wil never know .Strange behaviour is really bizzare in this case and it seems to be throughout the whole story . Its littered with strangeness and things other find odd , and holes , and cracks , and smokescreens . But still not one iota of evidence of anything .So very odd .
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, and I am guessing we wil never know .Strange behaviour is really bizzare in this case and it seems to be throughout the whole story . Its littered with strangeness and things other find odd , and holes , and cracks , and smokescreens . But still not one iota of evidence of anything .So very odd .

I agree but personally I would'nt trust him as far as I could throw him....That is my opinion.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As a mother, I can't understand that at all. Even though they are creche "staff", if you really thought your elder child had been abducted wouldn't you want to stay with your remaining children at all times :confused: It's a mother's instinct.

Perhaps the way the children were conceived makes a difference to this instinct, who knows.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Portuguese authorities won't reopen the case what is the point of the continuing Scotland Yard inquiry ? British police have no authority to question or arrest anyone in Portugal (though I suppose the individuals could go there in a private capacity).
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,478
    Forum Member

There are so many things I find odd about this case Gerry Mccanns bizarre statement like the one about doing a 1 year anniversary:confused:The fact that they felt happy leaving the twins with the crèche staff all day a matter of days after Maddie went missing, something no one would feel comfortable with if there was an abductor at large.

Out of all the curious things about this case, I do find that point staggering.. They may have well been very nice and friendly crèche staff but if you had just had a child abducted there is not a cat in hells chance anyone would do this!
  • Nick2008Nick2008 Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    If their daughter was abducted you don't think that is punishment enough?

No, but it's an interesting thought.

So, using your reasoning, if a driver fell asleep at the wheel and caused a road accident where a number of people lost their lives, his ordeal would be punishment enough? There would be no point in prosecuting them as they would have suffered enough.

I can certainly sympathise with the McCann's loss, but that does not and should not excuse their actions which were key in their daughter's disappearance.
  • LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Portuguese authorities won't reopen the case what is the point of the continuing Scotland Yard inquiry ? British police have no authority to question or arrest anyone in Portugal (though I suppose the individuals could go there in a private capacity).

Thats not what the Portugese Police have said. They have said that at this moment in time there is no new leads or lines of enquiry to open the case with.

The police in uk have 193 alleged items of interest and they are liaising with the PJ. This all could take about another 12 months..

I thinkt after a year one would expect that there would have been something significant showing up after all the prime minister Cameron asked the Met to review the case files a YEAR AGO.

So if it takes another year that will be 2 years of NOTHING and a total waste of time.

I think its ridiculous to think that a large police force in Portugal would be so stupid as to not check all avenues.

5 years and still NOTHING. Nada, zilch, nothing.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I don't get is why Kate McCann ran back to the Tapas Bar to tell them that Madeleine was missing.

Quite apart from leaving the twins alone and also wasting time, why didn't she stand at the window and just scream for help? If it was as close as they say, they would have heard her immediately.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People do not necessarily behave logically in moments of great stress or emotional upset.If all the above points are to be dealt with we'll need a whole evening on BBC1 !
  • HermioneHermione Posts: 177
    Forum Member

The McCanns could have requested the "reopening" of the case at any time.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People do not necessarily behave logically in moments of great stress or emotional upset.If all the above points are to be dealt with we'll need a whole evening on BBC1 !

I would think the natural instinct would be to scream though!

Let's hope that the new investigation/enquiry DOES consider all these things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    Nor a mention of the local priest who was so shocked by Kate's confession that he asked to be moved elsewhere....

I must have missed something in all of this, what confession?

I don't know what happened to Maddie, but as other people have said, the parents are culpable to a degree just from the facts we know. If they hadn't left the children alone, Maddie would be here.

I am not a perfect parent, but I make sacrifices because I have kids, one of those would be to eat earlier or take the children to dinner......I would NEVER leave them alone in an unlocked apartment, abroad or in the UK.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what happened to Madeleine, and I suspect that sadly no one ever will.
    But whatever the truth of what happened, I found this programme uncomfortably one sided - I don't really know what I expected from it, but it amounted to nothing more than an attack on the Portugese police,pointing out why our police force were now being sent in to do their jobs because they are seemingly so imcompetent - I have to say I think they're bearing this insult quite well!
    The Portugese may have made mistakes, but they were also hindered at the start of the investigation by some of the actions of the McCanns and their friends.
    It felt almost as if the programme was a kind of propaganda campaign for Kate and Gerry, and each time there's a new documentary or book or any other kind of publicity drive, it seems to muddy the waters even more, imo.
This discussion has been closed.