Options

Doctor Who is getting too childish

1235»

Comments

• Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    When I first watched it I was 11/12. I found him creepy, "I like my victims to die...with smiles on their faces..." was slightly unnerving.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    The Kandyman was one of the more unsettling things about a story that already freaked me out. He had one of the scariest voices I've heard in the Classic Series.

"The Happiness Patrol" was anything but childish, and was a very dark story. Yet, it's still one of my favorites.

Exactly. I would be interested to hear if anyone could point to a children's TV show that has ever featured the themes that were prominent in THP...the use of Kandyman was deliberate. Yes it might have appealed to the kids watching. But it wasn't 'childish' and the story as a whole certainly wasn't. Quite the opposite in fact.

Same goes for the Slitheen. A bit silly in their execution? Maybe. But would anyone call 'Boomtown' as a story silly or childish?

I think the Adipose are the closest thing to irredeemably 'childish' Doctor Who. But even that could be argued against.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The Adipose and the Kandyman are good examples of typically 'child-oriented' imagery being subverted into something dark and cruel.

You can argue about their success, or whether the special effects of the time made them look silly rather than threatening, but the idea is still there.

I mean, the Adipose are cute, but made from pieces of exploded people.