Cutting the grass and gardenng

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
Forum Member
Do you enjoy doing such jobs. ?

I cant stand doing them..I just cut the grass now, and i need a new lawn mower as it kept flicking the blades off..I go through loads of blades and they do cost alot for what they are..I am managing at the minute..i now have green hands and fingers from the mowed up grass :(..and as for gardening, why lol..I hate that too, and its one one the most things i hate when we get summer and dry days and grass gets long and have to go and cut it :rolleyes: drives me mad..this is why i like winter and rainy days :D

Rant over :D

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I love mowing the grass, and gardening in general for that matter.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. Absolutely HATE gardening.

Hence I have a "lady that does"

I just like sitting in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suggestion? Move to a fifth floor apartment. :)
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until about four years ago, my favourite plant was tarmac, but now I have really got the bug - in fact, I am sitting here with approx 300 seedlings of various types growing in the house, and another 150 plug plants nestling in the polytunnel in the garden.

I've spent my morning pottering away potting on plug plants that were delivered from Thomson and Morgan, and took the opportunity to re-pot a couple of house plants (in particular a Swiss Cheese plant that was getting way too big for its pot). Tomorrow, I need to sow some herb seeds for the kitchen windowsill, and get my poppies and stuff sown into my wee 'wilderness' strip up the side of the drive. I love being able to get outside in the fresh air after a week stuck in an office, and hopefully this year I will be able to eat some of my own produce and save myself a few quid in salad purchases at the supermarket.

The only job I don't really enjoy is cutting the grass, for no other reason than it plays hell with my back, and I usually put in a miserable night after doing it.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Gardening aye, cutting grass no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find mowing the grass to be very satisfying, and relaxing. Just going up, then down, then up, its brainless, and my brain just tends to wonder all over the place, and at the end it, it looks nice. But then there is the edges, I dont have strimmer, so its getting on your knees, and it just drags, thats what I really dont like. If I had a strimmer, the whole experience would be enjoyable.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE gardening...Weeding, digging, sowing seeds, planting out, cutting grass..I just love the whole lot!

I used to watch my granny doing her gardening with sympathy thinking what a chore, now I realise what a pleasure it is..Just wish my granny was still here to help me.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only job I don't really enjoy is cutting the grass, for no other reason than it plays hell with my back, and I usually put in a miserable night after doing it.
    FC, have you tried using a self-propelled mower so that you'd just have to walk along behind it rather than apply force to push it? Alternatively, maybe a hover mower might suit you?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoy it. I want my grass to grow slower and my plants to grow faster, though! I'm very much a summer person.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find gardening relaxing , it is not a chore for me
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love gardening, but my back doesn't:(
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Get rid of the grass, best thing we did, no more cutting treating edging and strimming, we now have different slates, pebbles and shingle, :D all they need is an odd brush over with the broom and a squirt of weed killer. We have plants in pots and can move them around as we wish.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to hate gardening because the size of the task felt overwhelming. Solution: I asked a landscape gardener to come up with a low maintenance design. Now I actually look forward to the modest amount of work needed to maintain it.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    mine is totally wild, the grass hasn`t been cut for about a decade.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mine is totally wild, the grass hasn`t been cut for about a decade.

That's a shame. I always think it feels depressing when a garden is all over grown. You just not interested or has it went beyond you being able to control it?
  • mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love it (not that i do much!)
    Being outside with plants feels much better than inside with a computer.

I'd be a park gardener if I could...but as a career this isn't valued much these days (maybe it was in the 30's) and as such I think you earn about 13k. Not that I would say I am very materialistic, but I do want to buy a house one day! ...Better stay working with desks and computers then. :(
  • *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    I have only ever tried to cut grass twice - I couldn't be doing with the vibrations in my hands and up my arms, it was a horrible feeling.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get astroturf no more cutting grass.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    That's a shame. I always think it feels depressing when a garden is all over grown. You just not interested or has it went beyond you being able to control it?

The wildlife would love it...
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »

i like it, it`s meadow grass:)
    towers wrote: »
    The wildlife would love it...

they do.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love gardening.Find that it helps relieve stress.
    Mind you one of our neighbours spends at least an hour cutting his grass every week with a noisy industrial lawnmower and then another hour cutting the hedge with a noisy industrial saw whilst swearing non stop at his kids. His garden is the size of a postage stamp! Not sure what pleasure he gets out of it.
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love gardening and find it very therapeutic ,although now i suffer from Fibro i have to hope one of my good days coincides with the nice weather
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love having a pretty garden, but don't really like grass-cutting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have decided that I hate anything green, having been trapped inside by a fallen tree all day.
  • *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    I have decided that I hate anything green, having been trapped inside by a fallen tree all day.

:eek: cool - are you ok though?