The Casualty Thread (Spoilers) (Part 5)

Comments

• GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the preview for Saturday's episode. Looks like more Dylan (about time!) and Charlie's feelings post-Romania explored.

Rita just cemented herself as awful though:
    'Dylan as clinical lead? The department won't survive'

Yet it's surviving with you being whatever you are... b*tch
  • ALowsleyALowsley Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the preview for Saturday's episode. Looks like more Dylan (about time!) and Charlie's feelings post-Romania explored.

Rita just cemented herself as awful though:
    'Dylan as clinical lead? The department won't survive'

Yet it's surviving with you being whatever you are... b*tch
    I totally agree.
    Rita is so annoying and she needs to give Dylan a chance. The ED needs a Clinical Lead and Connie is still suspended. It will be great to watch Dylan as Acting Clinical Lead because Connie will eventually return soon. It's about time we saw more of Dylan now and he has been very underused. Glad Charlie's storyline is still ongoing.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lofty's not in this episode - it's about time Lee had a break though - I can't remember the last time he wasn't in an episode. Is there a Casualty character count anywhere?
  • NMdum1NMdum1 Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The preview is interesting.
    Does anybody else think maybe Rita's problem wasn't originally so much with Connie herself but actually with any Clinical Lead that she doesn't feel an immediate personal connection and friendship with or is likely to disagree with her perspective on how things should be done?

They desperately need a strong Clinical Lead, a long-term permanent figure willing to grapple with some of the undoubted problems within the ED (Cal, the inefficiencies, the staff hanging around gossiping all the time etc.), fight and win on the political front, dealt with the substantial budget deficit thus paying for Rita's wages and for all Connie's many faults, that's precisely what she did - albeit going about things from an emotional point of view in the wrong way.

They don't need ultra-judgemental Rita at the top who can't give orders to Doctors, can't legally run Resus, will actively undermine you if she doesn't like what you're doing without bothering to find out why you're doing it, publically bad mouths the boss/prospective boss (and I don't think she was teasing, she doesn't have much of a sense of humour), drinks on the job and thinks everything is absolutely rosy.

About Lofty - I wonder whether they are holding him back for some great heroics during the Summer Catastrophe, whatever mini-Apocalypse they have in-store for us and that's the moment he really comes into his own, other-wise I can't quite figure out why he's even there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    NMdum1 wrote: »
    The Rita spoiler is interesting.
    Does anybody else think maybe her problem wasn't originally so much with Connie herself but actually with any Clinical Lead that she doesn't feel an immediate personal connection and friendship with or is likely to disagree with her perspective on how things should be done? They need a Clinical Lead, a long-term permanent figure willing to grapple with some of the undoubted problems within the ED (Cal, the inefficiencies, the staff hanging around gossiping all the time etc.), dealt with the substantial budget deficit thus paying for Rita's wages and for all Connie's many faults, that's precisely what she did - albeit going about things from an emotional point of view in the wrong way.

They don't need ultra-judgemental Rita at the top who can't give orders to Doctors, can't legally run Resus, will actively undermine you if she doesn't like what you're doing without bothering to find out why you're doing it, publically bad mouthing the boss, drinks on the job and thinks everything is absolutely rosy.

About Lofty - I wonder whether they are holding him back for some great heroics during the Summer Catastrophe, whatever mini-Apocalypse they have in-store for us and that's the moment he really comes into his own, other-wise I can't quite figure out why he's even there.

Maybe. I can see it happening - definitely after him rescuing the guy from the ED when that thing went off a few months ago (I can't remember the details!) Something needs to happen with him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NMdum1 wrote: »
    The preview is interesting.
    Does anybody else think maybe Rita's problem wasn't originally so much with Connie herself but actually with any Clinical Lead that she doesn't feel an immediate personal connection and friendship with or is likely to disagree with her perspective on how things should be done?

They desperately need a strong Clinical Lead, a long-term permanent figure willing to grapple with some of the undoubted problems within the ED (Cal, the inefficiencies, the staff hanging around gossiping all the time etc.), fight and win on the political front, dealt with the substantial budget deficit thus paying for Rita's wages and for all Connie's many faults, that's precisely what she did - albeit going about things from an emotional point of view in the wrong way.

They don't need ultra-judgemental Rita at the top who can't give orders to Doctors, can't legally run Resus, will actively undermine you if she doesn't like what you're doing without bothering to find out why you're doing it, publically bad mouths the boss/prospective boss (and I don't think she was teasing, she doesn't have much of a sense of humour), drinks on the job and thinks everything is absolutely rosy.

They're just making Rita thoroughly unlikeable. She makes bad decisions, bad-mouths people, has issues with authority (or anybody giving her advice - god, I'd be taking Charlie out for a pint every night and picking his brain!) and is just a narky whiner. Not a fan. Even Connie is more sympathetic a character than this.

Lofty has been over a year now, right? He's had precisely zero storylines. What is this?
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have given up watching the show. I am tired of it being 'The Connie' show and everything revolving around her. It is a shame, because the show was much better before Connie joined.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    I have given up watching the show. I am tired of it being 'The Connie' show and everything revolving around her. It is a shame, because the show was much better before Connie joined.
    No offence but it really annoys me when people say it is "the Connie show" when clearly that is not the case at all. Connie had been given some big storylines but other characters also had more screentime. Charlie, for example.

Actually, it won't be the "Connie show" in future episodes now because they will heavily focus on other characters.

A bit of good news for you ;)
    Connie isn't in this week's episode so you can enjoy it without her :)

Also you can always fast forward Connie's scenes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lofty has been over a year now, right? He's had precisely zero storylines. What is this?

Yeh, almost 15 months. He's been in almost every episode but has done nothing :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Yeh, almost 15 months. He's been in almost every episode but has done nothing :(

It's really odd. Why pay for dead wood? So many of the soaps do this. If they're not going to use a character, they should save money and get rid. Then we might have some higher production values.
  • zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    So has Connie left for good now then?
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zak_g wrote: »
    So has Connie left for good now then?

No I don't think so, and if she had it would've been a terrible exit
  • zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Baban wrote: »
    No I don't think so, and if she had it would've been a terrible exit
    Thanks Baban, though I think she might have due to Rita saying "she shouldn't have had to resign", it was a fairly bad exit if she has gone but I never liked Connie, always so stuck up and appeared mean!
    Forum Member
    No Connie hasn't left the show. She's back next week ;)

Dylan was hilarious :D - he was the only saving grace in this episode. The rest was rubbish.
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Baban, though I think she might have due to Rita saying "she shouldn't have had to resign", it was a fairly bad exit if she has gone but I never liked Connie, always so stuck up and appeared mean!

Delete
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well it would be in keeping with Ash's exit.......
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was up with Charlie tonight? He just seemed like a complete d!ck really and i don't see how his experience in Romania (?) caused it. Poor character development.

But i did enjoy the patient story this week and also putting Lily at the centre... her five year plan seemed a bit ambitious though!
    Forum Member
    gilesb wrote: »
    Well it would be in keeping with Ash's exit.......
    That was a disgrace. I really wonder why Ash has left the show. Patrick Robinson has always said he wanted to stay in Casualty for the long haul. Shame Ash has an offscreen exit.
  • Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writing for the patient storylines still feels so forced / unnatural. Much as I praise Casualty for bringing more oriental actors to mainstream British drama, I found the script tried to slot the characters into stereotypes.

Good to see Charlie given a bit of character / edge for a change; it was like seeing Charlie of old before he became a part-time bit-parter on the show. Dylan and Lily are a good partnership; I do hope we're not losing Lily as the final scene of her in tonight's episode might suggest (her looking at a "five year career plan"). I'm sorry to upset Connie Beauchamp fans but the programme feels better off without the Cruella deville pantomime act. Not that I'm happy about Rita still on the show.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actress that played the daughter (don't remember her name), reminded me of the girl who was to marry Oliver Valentine in Holby before she got killed crossing the road! Obviously not though, as someone else would have spotted it !
  • skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, did someone actually sit down and say "How will we celebrate the thirtieth anniversary? I know, let's character assassinate Charlie Fairhead!"? Because after the weeks of him being turned into Connie's apologist, and then his cutting a bloody swathe through Romania leaving bloodied bodies in his wake, once again everything he touches turns to dust. It seemed like he came in that day determined to find a Villain to take his issues out on, and just grabs his only patient and decides on the basis of nothing whatsoever that he's leading children into trouble. Even when the nice sports shop manager stops the evil loan shark from beating up a small boy with a busted shoulder, Charlie still thinks that black is white. It's like he realised Connie (who can stay in Romania forever as far as I'm concerned) isn't around anymore so decided he has to be the one to make snap judgements and harass sick people for no good reason.

There didn't seem to be any real need for all the patient storylines to be intertwined. I can't tell if this was social commentary or absolute fantasy: Chinatown being run by quasi-gangsters keeping naïve immigrants as slaves seems slightly extreme but for all I know it's exactly like that. I wasn't convinced by the apparent happy ending either way: Sure, the mother and daughter have got their passports and are going to get proper medical treatment but have they got visas? Leave to remain? Won't they just have to go home as soon as they're well?

I thought in the last regular episode (a month ago) that Dylan was a viable candidate for clinical lead if Zoe didn't want it. He did seem to let the power go to his head a bit. (I understand, I was the same when I got made a Sixer at Cubs. 'Course, I was nine.) But it's an interesting idea and I hope the final shot of him surrounded by paperwork and out of his depth isn't meant to indicate that the department's a wreck without Connie or something daft like that.

At least someone seems to have noticed Henrik Hanssen's CEO. Shame we didn't see him.
  • skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actress that played the daughter (don't remember her name), reminded me of the girl who was to marry Oliver Valentine in Holby before she got killed crossing the road! Obviously not though, as someone else would have spotted it !
    It's not her but I knew I'd seen her before so looked it up and: Hey, she was the Chinese girl who married Graeme in Coronation Street! (She was also in Waterloo Road.)
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skteosk wrote: »
    It's not her but I knew I'd seen her before so looked it up and: Hey, she was the Chinese girl who married Graeme in Coronation Street! (She was also in Waterloo Road.)

Thanks. I can go to bed happy tonight !
  • shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skteosk wrote: »

The girl that was to marry Jonny got killed crossing the road. The girl you are thinking about did marry Oliver and died soon after from a brain tumour. God who would go near Holby general... Hotbed of dysfunctional, tragic lives:)
  • wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised Lofty wasn't in tonight's episode. He needs a storyline of his own. It was a decent episode but hope Connie returns soon. I did like Dylan in charge though.
This discussion has been closed.