Should benefit claimants have to earn their money?

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think long-term JSA claimants should have to, say after 12 months, work for their money? For example, civic duties that councils are increasingly struggling to fund.

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no i don`t.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're physically and mentally able to work, yes.
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no i don`t.

Why not?
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there are jobs that need doing they should be funded and given to benefit claimants to get them off of benefits.
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Why not?

because if there are jobs need doing they should be properly employed and paid to do them, not used as some sort of underclass of slaves.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they have paid into the system, then no.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    If there are jobs that need doing they should be funded and given to benefit claimants to get them off of benefits.
    because if there are jobs need doing they should be properly employed and paid to do them, not used as some sort of underclass of slaves.

Agree with these.

If there's a job that needs doing then help people off benefits by hiring someone to do it and paying them a proper wage.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »

I agree.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's with all the benefit threads over the last couple of weeks?

They went fairly quiet over the last year or so, but recently it's been non stop.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    No.

If there's a job to be done, then pay someone a proper wage to do it.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said in the other thread, I don't have a problem with long term JSA claimants having to do some form of work experience but I completely disagree with how it is currently being done. I don't think it should be free labour for large companies for a start.

Also, of course the time they work should not exceed what they get in benefits, taking into consideration minimum wage.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, of course not. Benefits are like life support.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    While I agree that if there is need for work then it should be done by an employed person.

But in this time of belt tightening etc and councils having to cut back etc, I see no problem with getting the long termed unemployed to help out, we've all had to make sacrifices etc, so why shouldn't they. They should only be unskilled jobs litter picking, graffiti removal etc and for the betterment of their community. Any technical jobs should of course be used to employ people.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    While I agree that if there is need for work then it should be done by an employed person.

But in this time of belt tightening etc and councils having to cut back etc, I see no problem with getting the long termed unemployed to help out, we've all had to make sacrifices etc, so why shouldn't they. They should only be unskilled jobs litter picking, graffiti removal etc and for the betterment of their community. Any technical jobs should of course be used to employ people.

But these jobs are already being done by paid staff, which if you make the unemployed do these jobs will, put these paid workers out of a job.
    Forum Member

so community service for people who`ve committed no crime.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If benefit claimants are to be working, they should be given a minimum wage job. Having to work for your benefits is disgusting.
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes for either benefits paid at NMW rate or do the work for so many hours that they would have worked at NMW.

So for £72 Jobseeker's Allowance they should not have to work more than 11 hrs a week.
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    But these jobs are already being done by paid staff, which if you make the unemployed do these jobs will, put these paid workers out of a job.

But they're not, how often do we hear that a council can't clean this or that because they lack the funds.

All I'm saying is that maybe the unemployed could help out. Many working people have had to take a large hit in terms of pay raises even pay cuts etc.
    Forum Member
    But they're not, how often do we hear that a council can't clean this or that because they lack the funds.

All I'm saying is that maybe the unemployed could help out. Many working people have had to take a large hit in terms of pay raises even pay cuts etc.

and many unemployed have had to take a bigger one when they lost their jobs and quite possibly their homes.
    Forum Member
    so community service for people who`ve committed no crime.

Well yes and these jobs are/were done, don't think the people that did them would like those jobs to be thought of as community service. But my point was that councils shouldn't use a scheme like this to get skilled people doing a skilled job for nothing.
    Forum Member
    and many unemployed have had to take a bigger one when they lost their jobs and quite possibly their homes.

True, but lets be honest we're not talking about them, we're talking about the long term dole hangers as they used to be called. People who have basically never worked, seem to breed like rabbits and offer society nothing in return.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should only be unskilled jobs litter picking, graffiti removal etc and for the betterment of their community. Any technical jobs should of course be used to employ people.

The problem with this is it sounds a lot like the community service criminals have to do! I could understand why people on benefits may not wish to be forced to do the same things we make criminals do.

This is where I find it difficult to think how it could be practical, even though I don't really disagree with the initial idea. It shouldn't be for large companies who are profiting from it and it shouldn't be the type of community work that is otherwise reserved for criminals...
    Forum Member
    Well yes and these jobs are/were done, don't think the people that did them would like those jobs to be thought of as community service. But my point was that councils shouldn't use a scheme like this to get skilled people doing a skilled job for nothing.

those are the jobs that people on community service are doing.

so as long as we only enslave the unskilled that`s ok?
    True, but lets be honest we're not talking about them, we're talking about the long term dole hangers as they used to be called. People who have basically never worked, seem to breed like rabbits and offer society nothing in return.

"we" are if they have been unable to find work.
    Forum Member
    Agree, even though I'm not sure I've ever seen people do community service so wouldn't know what they look like.

There must be nicer jobs that unemployed people could do, that maybe aren't so demeaning.
    Forum Member
    Agree, even though I'm not sure I've ever seen people do community service so wouldn't know what they look like.

There must be nicer jobs that unemployed people could do, that maybe aren't so demeaning.

i don`t think doing those jobs is wrong necessarily just that a proper wage should be paid.

claimants are expected to do 35 hours of job searching a week too, if they`re "working" for their benefits where are they expected to fit that and interviews in?