Options

Most Shocking Showbiz Career Failures!

KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
Forum Member
How does the implosion of Cheryl Cole's career compare with others you can think of?

I'm thinking of Mel Gibson, surely the biggest fall from a great height anyone in Hollywood has had in a generation. Tom Cruise was doing a good job of destroying his career a few years ago and it's still touch and go, IMO.

Can anyone think of a British celeb whose career has flopped so suddenly and so spectacularly as Cheryl Cole's? Michael Barrymore springs to mind but it was probably more of a drawn out, linger affair than Cole's recent plummet.

Any others?

Comments

• Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago Julian Clarey said something at an awards ceremony - I think it might have been about norman lamont - I wont put the full details.....he was banned from TV for a while but did make a comeback after a while.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Roy Jay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cazzz wrote: »
    Years ago Julian Clarey said something at an awards ceremony - I think it might have been about norman lamont - I wont put the full details.....he was banned from TV for a while but did make a comeback after a while.

Oh yes, I remember that. It caused a huge outcry. How ridiculous it was too!! He was off the TV for ages.
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The soap "stars" who are going off to Hollywood and are never seen again.

Anthea Turner went from darling to donut quickly.

Jodie Marsh's career collapsed under her fake wedding show.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Jodie Marsh's career collapsed under her fake wedding show.

Yes, her career dissolved almost overnight :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brian McFadden when he left Westlife
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Leslie. On TV one morning, gone the next day. And I don't think I've seen him on anything since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vivadiva wrote: »
    John Leslie. On TV one morning, gone the next day. And I don't think I've seen him on anything since.

Good one. I'd forgotten about him completely :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martine McCuchone (SP) one week soap darling and wanna be singer off to hollywood, a few years later advertising Activia
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The one out of Emmerdale who swanned off to Hollywood and ended up working in GAP springs to mind.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darren Day
    One True Voice
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    The one out of Emmerdale who swanned off to Hollywood and ended up working in GAP springs to mind.

She's back in Emmerdale now I think. And she looks as rough as a badger's arse.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Harvey from East 17. He did an interview, on the radio I think, about taking ecstasy and he ended up being kicked out of the band and ridiculed in the papers. After a few years he tried to make a comeback with John & Terry from the band (minus the main songwriter Tony) and flopped. He also had a weird car accident involving a jacket potato but he has never fully recovered from the ecstasy incident.

I'll also add Michael Barrymore to that list.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ Proby not that I am old enough to remember but read up on it for some research I was doing many years ago.. His trousers fell down at a gig in the 1950's in England and it was the death knell for his career. How times have changed, Nowadays their career would soar :D
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Brian Harvey from East 17. He did an interview, on the radio I think, about taking ecstasy and he ended up being kicked out of the band and ridiculed in the papers. After a few years he tried to make a comeback with John & Terry from the band (minus the main songwriter Tony) and flopped. He also had a weird car accident involving a jacket potato but he has never fully recovered from the ecstasy incident.

I'll also add Michael Barrymore to that list.

Was Brian Harvey the one that ran himself over?
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Brian Harvey the one that ran himself over?

Yes that's the one. Something to do with eating a dodgy jacket potato whilst he was driving, he opened the door to throw up and then he fell out and the car ran him over. Or something along those lines
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    PJ Proby not that I am old enough to remember but read up on it for some research I was doing many years ago.. His trousers fell down at a gig in the 1950's in England and it was the death knell for his career. How times have changed, Nowadays their career would soar :D

Quote your source!

I remember him singing in the 60s :o . His trousers split... horizontally across the knee... hardly X-rated... but, yes, for some reason, it did seriously dent his career.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, her career dissolved almost overnight :)

That's what you get for arrogantly assuming that ppl (a) want to see all the pix from your wedding, (b) don't mind that you've gotten a glossy mag to pay for it all, and (c) agree with your choice for choccy sponsorship
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Any comedian from years ago - someone like Jim Davidson who had really popular TV show. When that ended and his 'comedy' became dated and irrelevant he had to resort to a reality show.

For some celebs a reality show can be a blessing - giving their career a nice boost but for others it just re-confirms why they bombed in the first place. I do think if all that business in Michael Barrymore's personal life had never happened his career would've went down the toilet anyway. He was just embarrassing on Celeb BB and more recently on Come Dine With Me - where he just acted like a 5 year old. His act may have worked years ago when it was on-stage in front of TV royalty - but when you see it playing out in someone's dining room you just cringe.
  • Options
    OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthea Turner & John Leslie are the main 2 who spring to mind.

Cilla Black was absent for a long while, though i think it was her decision to retire. She only pops up now and again on daytime tv like loose women.

Gloria Hunniford has had an up/down career.

Fern Britton may go in that direction after her recent tv flop (though i thought she did well)
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard and Judy when they left primetime tv for some obscure digital channel.
  • Options
    PhoebeJeebiePhoebeJeebie Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad told me about Simon Dee who was massive in the 60's, the Jonathan Ross of his day. Left his chat show at the BBC to join itv and he spectacularly flopped. Ended up on the dole, did time in prison, then became a bus driver. Quite a spectacular fall.
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivy Tilsley from Corrie - fired for having her lips done.

Matthew Kelly - presenting You Bet! and Stars in their Eyes, was accused of child molestation, found totally innocent, but it destroyed his prime time presenting persona and he was replaced with the vacuous Cat Deeley. (I did watch him on Who Do You Think You Are afterward and he seemed a lovely guy too).

Jo S Club - Destroyed any solo chances by being a racist little madam in Celeb BB along with Jade Goody (who clawed back her career and public sympathy) and Danielle Whatshername (who is still repulsive but gets by 'cos she's pretty')

Roscoe Fatty Arbuckle - was accused of rape murder and his career was destroyed, though afterward it was revealed the 'star witness' was paid to lie by a tabloid, and the woman who died most likely died of a preexisting disease and was not attacked at all.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you don't see much of leslie grantham these days.there's no fool like an old fool.
  • Options
    BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of falling from being a global star to being nothing at all, it doesn't get bigger than Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle in 1921-22.