Options

Your Favourite John Carpenter Film(s)?

Comments

• Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,881
    Forum Member
    The Fog is by far the scariest and the best one for me.

Christine

Halloween

The Thing.

Big Trouble was good but different obviously from what he usually used to do.
  • Options
    hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Thing
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    surprised no one's mentioned his Elvis bio yet
  • Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Thing
  • Options
    *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does no one else like Someone's Watching Me? It's the one where Lauren Hutton is stalked after she moves into a high rise apartment. Carpenter's wife at the time played her gay friend. It's quite spooky and sinister and edge-of-seat.
  • Options
    TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assault on Precinct 13
    The Thing
    Escape from New York
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Halloween
    Christine
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the US blu ray of Christime last week...a very limited run of 3000 copies. Excellent transfer and great DTS sound.

It has the same extras as the previous SE DVD, commentary from Carpenterand Keith Gordon, 3 making of featurettes, Isolated score and a bunch of deleted scenes.

I hesitate to call it a horror movie, and that's certainly not to denigrate it in any way. But there is very little horror, no blood and most deaths either happen off-camera or are completely gore-free.

The strength of the movie lies in the characterisation, and Carpenters sound decision to exploit the transformation of the main character Arnie, who essentially becomes posessed by the 'spirit' of the car...but rather than a cliched Jekyll and Hyde style change, Arnie goes from being that wimpy, geeky, four-eyed kid who is always getting teased and beaten up, to a confident, arrogant cool kid who ends up with the best looking girl in College...which does not go down well with Christine, who seems to become jealous of the relationship and almost chokes her to death at one point. Plus she also takes revenge on the school bullies who had humiliated Arnie. I always liked the idea that you never know if Arnie is in the car or not when the attacks take place.

There are elements of the typical rites-of-passage and growing pains that you would associate with typical teen movies, but Carpenter uses these to create a refreshingly non-typical, non-cliched movie, which in lesser hands could have been simply another killer machine on the loose/demonic posession style movie.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I just love Prince of Darkness. Such a great movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    The Thing
    followed by Halloween.

Watched They Live the other week. It had it's moments and the idea was interesting but it just was just hard to gauge just exactly what Carpenter was aiming for.
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Fog
    Halloween
    The Thing
  • Options
    Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite is definitely Big Trouble In Little China.:D I absolutely love everything about the film.I'm sure that it was one of the first wire-fu movies made in Hollywood.I don't think it did jack at the box office,perhaps people just didn't 'get it'.... "Shut up,Mr Burton.You are not brought upon this world to get it!"....There are just so many outlandish scenes and great quotes in the film,and they never get tired.The film certainly was not his usual kind,but it is a deserved cult classic.

Of the rest of his films,I can't watch Halloween because I can not handle all the girlie screaming,and let's be honest,the film is so ludicrous that there was hardly any need to make a parody of it.I suppose it was groundbreaking for its day,though.

After Big Trouble,my favourites are The Thing,The Fog,and Escape From New York.They may seem dated now,but still good to watch.Starman was quaintly charming,and Christine was enjoyable nonsense.And I do remember the tv movie,Somebody's Watching Me.Very good film.

If I could go back in time and stop the whole concept of Escape From LA from ever happening,it would be great.One of the most awful films ever,and if I were Carpenter I would disown it and credit it to Alan Smithee.:mad:
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Halloween and They Live.

Halloween is the obvious, the greatest horror movie of all time with the greatest horror villain of all time. They Live has always been a favorite of mine, bloody love it. Piper and aliens, cant ask for much more than that!

Carpenter is mostly brilliant.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for The Thing here !
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to be The Fog but The Thing and Halloween are classics too !
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Thing <-- top favourite
    Escape from New York
    The Fog
    Prince of Darkness
    Assault on Precinct 13
    Starman
    In the Mouth of Madness
    They Live

Unlike the others, I'm indifferent to the Halloween series. It's from that period when it seemed every video release during the 1980s was a slasher film. Films like Sleepaway Camp, Friday the 13th, Happy Birthday to Me, Don't Go in the House, Train of Terror, April Fool, Slumber Party, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc. After enduring that period, slasher films generally don't interest me.

The Fog is one of the few exceptions because it's essentially a ghost story. Plus, I loved the back story, Adrienne Barbeau's character's dilemma and in spite of the obvious limitations on production, a good suspenseful build-up. The remake is repulsively awful.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would also have to vote for the Thing. In spite of it's crudeness due to a lack of budget, it still retained a high degree of class in the way some of the sequences were shot.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Assault on Precinct 13 just edges it ahead of The Thing for me. Probably The Fog and Big Trouble in Little China behind them.

I'm not a fan of Halloween or Escape from New York.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Definitely 'The Thing'. It isn't often that a remake is better than the original (and I loved the original) but Carpenter's was bloody brilliant.

I also loved Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween and In The Mouth of Madness

Of the others I've seen - I wasn't fond of Escape From New York or Big Trouble In Little China or even Christine (although Christine is my son's favourite film).

I did like the episode of Masters of Horror he did though - Cigarette Burns.
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Thing

Halloween

The Fog

Escape From New York

all great movies and still watch able years after they were made.
  • Options
    scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    Love VIrtually all his stuff but my favourites are...

The Thing
    The Fog
    They Live
    Halloween

All of the above with escape from new york included.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's got to be...
    THE THING

A masterpiece
    Absolutely; tense and horrific, fantastic to watch.
  • Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Dark Star. Took me a couple of viewings to get into it, but now it's one of my favourite films. Love the ending.

Halloween series when I'm in the right mood.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halloween
    The fog
    The thing
    Christine
    Vampires
    Ghosts of mars
    Possibly the ward once i have gotten round to watching my dvd of it
  • Options
    Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Assault on Precinct 13
    Halloween
    The Fog
    Someone's Watching Me
    Escape from New York
    The Thing
    Christine
    Starman
    They Live
    Escape from L.A

I also enjoyed The Ward and his segments in Body Bags.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Thing

.......by a long way.