Antibiotics Advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey all

I have a chest infection and sinusitis. I have been to doctor and been put on antibiotics.

However since I have started taken them I have been vomiting ( tuesday evening )

Is this an allergic reaction to the antibiotics? I've stopped taken them but am still vomiting ;( Should I go back to doctor, or would pharmacy be able to give me an alternative antibiotic?

Comments

• Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try:
    Nhs direct and/or your GP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try:
    Nhs direct and/or your GP

Thanks in Ireland so we dont have NHS direct, but Ill go back to doc tomorrow
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    IrishChick wrote: »
    Hey all

I have a chest infection and sinusitis. I have been to doctor and been put on antibiotics.

However since I have started taken them I have been vomiting ( tuesday evening )

Is this an allergic reaction to the antibiotics? I've stopped taken them but am still vomiting ;( Should I go back to doctor, or would pharmacy be able to give me an alternative antibiotic?

Hi there, I always used to get that with penicillin. My doc gave me Amoxycillin (sp?) for my sinusitis and throat infection yesterday as I told him penicillin always makes me throw up and I already feel so much better. It may be worth having a word with the pharmacist and see if they can do anything otherwise you're not getting the benefit of the antibiotics. My Doc said it's not so much an allergic reaction to the penicillin, rather an intolerance.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there, I always used to get that with penicillin. My doc gave me Amoxycillin (sp?) for my sinusitis and throat infection yesterday as I told him penicillin always makes me throw up and I already feel so much better. It may be worth having a word with the pharmacist and see if they can do anything otherwise you're not getting the benefit of the antibiotics. My Doc said it's not so much an allergic reaction to the penicillin, rather an intolerance.

he gave me profloxin and its causing severe vomiting, I havent kept anything down since Tuesday :(* its just shite
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amoxicillin is a penicillin!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he gave me profloxin and its causing severe vomiting, I havent kept anything down since Tuesday :(* its just shite

If you've stopped the antibiotic and are still vomiting days later it may not be a side effect of the drug but gastroenteritis on top of your chest infection.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    If you've stopped the antibiotic and are still vomiting days later it may not be a side effect of the drug but gastroenteritis on top of your chest infection.

Yep, the antibiotics could even be irritating your stomach, I understand you don't want to pay to see the GP again but you really should discuss it with somebody else you wont want to finish the antibiotics and your infection won't clear (if you're vomiting them up they won't do much good anyway)
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I cannot find a reference to profloxin on the web

Do you mean ciprofloxacin if so there are some warnings here
    http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Ciprofloxacin.htm that may be worth reading like this
    Do not drink milk or take indigestion remedies, or medicines containing iron or zinc, in the 2 hours before or after you take ciprofloxacin.

Do not take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory painkillers (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen while you are being treated with ciprofloxacin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I cannot find a reference to profloxin on the web

Do you mean ciprofloxacin if so there are some warnings here
    http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Ciprofloxacin.htm that may be worth reading like this

Profloxin is ciprofloxacin. Not first line treatment here in UK for a chest infection, usually reserved for pyelonephritis or when a culture and sensitivity result is available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Profloxin is ciprofloxacin. Not first line treatment here in UK for a chest infection, usually reserved for pyelonephritis or when a culture and sensitivity result is available.

? Confused by what that means?
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Thanks in Ireland so we dont have NHS direct, but Ill go back to doc tomorrow

Just for future reference if you cant access the doctor a pharmacist is a great source of information and knowledge about drugs and the side effects .
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Its used for chest infections and pneumonia in Ireland , I have seen it prescribed quite often in upper airway and lower airway infections

What is it used for?
    In adults, ciprofloxacin can be used to treat the infections below, when caused by susceptible bacteria.

Bacterial infections of the lungs and airways (respiratory tract), such as pneumonia (but not 1st line treatment of pneumococcal pneumonia), acute bronchitis, bronchiectasis and lung infections in cystic fibrosis or chronic bronchitis.

Read more: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex-and-relationships/medicines/ciproxin.html#ixzz2H5zvxxxs
    Follow us: @NetDoctor on Twitter | NetDoctorUK on Facebook
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason it's not supposed to be used so much is because of the increasing resistance to antibiotics.
    This may just be a local policy and not national.
    With the increase in MRSA and other resistant bacteria, ciprofloxacin is one of the antibiotics that is being held in reserve to try and reduce bacteria adapting and becoming resistant to it.
    I would like to hope in 20 years time if I get a life threatening bacterial infection that there will an antibiotic left that can deal with it.
    I have been told ( haven't looked into it myself, so may not be true), that the pharmaceutical companies don't make much profit on developing new antibiotics so they're not really putting much funding into antibiotics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just for future reference if you cant access the doctor a pharmacist is a great source of information and knowledge about drugs and the side effects .

Indeed, a fully-trained Pharmacist probably know more about drugs and their side effects than the average GP does
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason it's not supposed to be used so much is because of the increasing resistance to antibiotics.
    This may just be a local policy and not national.
    With the increase in MRSA and other resistant bacteria, ciprofloxacin is one of the antibiotics that is being held in reserve to try and reduce bacteria adapting and becoming resistant to it.
    I would like to hope in 20 years time if I get a life threatening bacterial infection that there will an antibiotic left that can deal with it.
    I have been told ( haven't looked into it myself, so may not be true), that the pharmaceutical companies don't make much profit on developing new antibiotics so they're not really putting much funding into antibiotics.

Wow! I may sound completely dense here but I didn't think resistence to antibiotics was that big a deal. But actually, that's quite scary that we can become resistant and then really need them later in life and for them not to be effective. Also shocking that they aren't doing more to create new types for cases like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! I may sound completely dense here but I didn't think resistence to antibiotics was that big a deal. But actually, that's quite scary that we can become resistant and then really need them later in life and for them not to be effective. Also shocking that they aren't doing more to create new types for cases like this.

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/89/2/11-030211/en/index.html
    Interesting article.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the UK, ciprofloxacin is given for a kidney infection called pyelonephritis, where it's known to be very effective, or when the particular bug that's causing the infection has been identified as being sensitive to ciprofloxacin. Normally, doctors won't wait to find out which bacteria are causing an infection, but will prescribe a "general" antibiotic that will wipe out most of them. If the "general" antibiotic doesn't work, they'll take a sample (throat swab, pus, whatever) and grow the bacteria to find out what they're sensitive to, then prescribe an antibiotic that definitely will kill them off.

There's a problem these days with people demanding an antibiotic for every infection, even minor ones, and bacteria getting resistant to the "general" antibiotics that used to be effective. Many infections are self-limiting and will go away by themselves in time. So one should never insist on antibiotic treatment unless it's obvious that the illness isn't getting better on its own.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very interesting, thanks. My doctor seems to prescribe some kind of antibiotic to me quite regularly. I think I'll let the next chest infection 'ride it out' :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very interesting, thanks. My doctor seems to prescribe some kind of antibiotic to me quite regularly. I think I'll let the next chest infection 'ride it out' :eek:

95% of coughs are due to viruses apparently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member

...and that`s why Doctors and Dentists(like myself) are constantly being warned about handing out Antibiotics like smarties...and why patients are doing themselves no favours by demanding antibiotics for viral infections like colds..etc..etc....New antibiotic research is still being carried out but the drugs coming onto the market have more severe side affects than good old fashioned penicillin.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People should not stop taking them before the course is completed either, but they stop when they feel better instead of doing as they are asked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there, I always used to get that with penicillin. My doc gave me Amoxycillin (sp?) for my sinusitis and throat infection yesterday as I told him penicillin always makes me throw up and I already feel so much better.
    Ha! Amoxycillin IS penicilin!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha! Amoxycillin IS penicilin!

It certainly is if anyone has an allergic reaction to penicillan they will have one with amoxicillan too. That is the first thing they usually ask when prescribing any penicillin based drug, "are you allergic to penicillin"

Here are a few more penicillin drugs —

Ampicillin (Omnipen, Principen), dicloxacillin (Dycill, Dynapen), oxacillin (Bactocill), penicillin (Beepen-VK, Ledercillin VK, Pen-V, Pen-Vee K, Pfizerpen, V-Cillin K, Veetids), and there are others.