The college I applied for has closed down

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
I got quite an annoying letter this morning about how the college that I was accepted into has closed down, meaning that I don't have anywhere to go in September. I'm distraught, because I had planned everything out and that I was going to study these courses then go to University, but now I must change my plans, and with little time to do it!

How am I supposed to find a decent college that is still accepting applicants at this short notice? I'm going to ring up and complain tomorrow - They owe me big time! If anyone can help me out on what I can do next, I will really appreciate it. I guess it's stupid me for only applying for one college.

Comments

• TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I got quite an annoying letter this morning about how the college that I was accepted into has closed down, meaning that I don't have anywhere to go in September. I'm distraught, because I had planned everything out and that I was going to study these courses then go to University, but now I must change my plans, and with little time to do it!

How am I supposed to find a decent college that is still accepting applicants at this short notice? I'm going to ring up and complain tomorrow - They owe me big time! If anyone can help me out on what I can do next, I will really appreciate it. I guess it's stupid me for only applying for one college.

There seems little point in contacting an organisation that is closed.

Which college did you apply to and which course were you planning on doing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just call other colleges and explain. I decided I didn't want to go to my schools 6th form on results day so called a college, interviewed and got in the next day (though I ended up staying on anyway!)
    Worth a shot right?
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I suppose all you can do is ring around other colleges that offer the same or similar course and explain the situation, you may get lucky..I am sorry to hear of your situation, but best of luck xx
  • peacelovesandiepeacelovesandie Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    It definitely isn't too late to apply to a different college, even though it may be a nuisance to you.

Are you still at school?

There will be a lot of other people in the same situation as you.... what are they doing about it?
  • rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Count yourself lucky, the fact that this college has closed down obviously means it was not as good as you thought it was and it could just as easily have shut done half way through your course.
    It's a disappointment, but get stuck in and find yourself the right college and course that will get you to University, it is a case of getting over the types of problems that life is going to throw at you and proving to yourself that you can cope, survive and thrive.
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can a college just suddenly close down! lol

With hundreds of employees working there.
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely try ringing other colleges and explain your situation. Absolute worst case scenario though is to take a year out where you could go travelling or save for the future, or anything else you might like to do. I took a year out of education between school and university and it was one of the best decisions I could have made even though I didn't feel 100% positive about it at the time.

I do think though that colleges will still have places. Obviously it depends on spaces and demand, but most colleges in my area continue advertising their courses until mid-September. Alternatively, some colleges have courses which start in January (again, depending on the course).

Good luck in any case and I hope it works out for you!
  • MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely try ringing other colleges and explain your situation. Absolute worst case scenario though is to take a year out where you could go travelling or save for the future, or anything else you might like to do. I took a year out of education between school and university and it was one of the best decisions I could have made even though I didn't feel 100% positive about it at the time.

I do think though that colleges will still have places. Obviously it depends on spaces and demand, but most colleges in my area continue advertising their courses until mid-September. Alternatively, some colleges have courses which start in January (again, depending on the course).

Good luck in any case and I hope it works out for you!

Taking a year out is not an option if the OP is under 18.

Colleges in my area are also still taking applications, there is no need to worry OP, something will be available for you.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentorist wrote: »
    Taking a year out is not an option if the OP is under 18.

Colleges in my area are also still taking applications, there is no need to worry OP, something will be available for you.

^ This.

When I was 15 I signed up for college a good 6 months before I started in September; but others there had signed up as late as July and August.

So I don't think this matters as much as the OP is making out. It's understandable to panic - but I'm sure it will be absolutely fine, there are other colleges and I'm sure they'd still be taking applications.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member

You've never heard of businesses suddenly closing making all their employees unemployed? A college is no different, especially if it's not under local county council control.
  • NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Have you got a local youth advice centre, eg, connexions? Because they're really good for stuff like that.

But colleges do take late applications though!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Perhaps you should examine the history and reputation of a college before applying next time. At least this is what I would have done had I been in your shoes. Good luck with the next college.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It also could have been closed down - there are plenty of dodgy colleges out there who supply visas for overseas students that arrive here and disappear, or work instead of study.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't be too late, plenty of colleges will have space, my daughter needed a back up plan in case she didn't attain the B grades needed for her school 6th form. I think she was offered a college place but didn't accept it. She also applied to another school's 6th form as well as her own and she didn't decline that place until after she got her GCSE results in the August.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, unfortunately colleges close down all the time these days. I think the stat is something like 30% of FE colleges have closed or been merged with others in the last 5 years, and another 30% or so predicted not to survive another 5. The cuts in FE have been huge, and unless colleges adapt enormously to attract a lot more paying adults, and apprentices, then they're going to struggle to survive. The population of 16-18 year olds is decreasing, and now that they have to stay in education until 18, many are staying in schools (where there is protected funding per student, so schools have more financial security) instead of going to college (where the amount per student that the college gets has been cut every year for several years now, and will continue to be cut) meaning that colleges' budgets are being cut and cut. The risks there are obvious - either they don't have the funds to continue, or the funds are cut so much that they continue very poorly, or they diversify to attract other types of students.

OP, other colleges in the area will be picking up the students who'd accepted places. Just start calling round. It's nowhere near too late. Most colleges pick up most of their 16-18 learners in late summer, after results days.
  • MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same has actually happened to some Year 11's I know this year. They had applied to a small college run by the local council but the funding was cut and they found out about a fortnight ago. I know one of the students has already secured a place at a different college on a similar course.