Trivial things that annoy you intensely. (Part 3)

Comments

• bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who go on about one thing and keep on asking the same question again and again even when they have been explained.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verrillion wrote: »
    Quiz programmes that have contestants that have no etiquette including a load of the so called celebritys.
    I was taught that its the height of bad manners to applaud yourself.
    There they are on their plinth on the tv getting the question right and the audience applaudes. They join in like some demented trained seal applauding themselves.
    It gets even worse at times when there introduced on Tv and walk on to applause and then start clapping themselves for walking on .
    If it was the kinda person on TOWIE or some other low life prog but no its all the young new celebritys and acts.

As much as I enjoy the regular version, Celebrity Pointless is pretty much unwatchable. The constant mugging, interrupting and lolling all over the podium are bad enough but the worst thing is the affected ignorance. It's as if they think that giving a ridiculous wrong answer will make them more endearing. "Name a country beginning with B? Oh, I don't know, ha ha ha, umm...Birmingham. Is that a country? I don't know! Ha ha! Please like me!"

The other possibility is that they really are that thick which is too terrifying to contemplate.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I enjoy the regular version, Celebrity Pointless is pretty much unwatchable. The constant mugging, interrupting and lolling all over the podium are bad enough but the worst thing is the affected ignorance. It's as if they think that giving a ridiculous wrong answer will make them more endearing. "Name a country beginning with B? Oh, I don't know, ha ha ha, umm...Birmingham. Is that a country? I don't know! Ha ha! Please like me!"

The other possibility is that they really are that thick which is too terrifying to contemplate.

Most celebrity versions of trivia game-shows are very dumbed down. I guess it's okay if the celebs are playing for charity, but when it's just entertainment purposes, there definitely does seem to be those who are deliberately dumb or pretend to be. If it's meant to be funny I suppose they have to do that as there isn't much entertainment value in them getting the answers right every time.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no longer working nights this week, but I'll be damned if I can sleep tonight. Think I'm going to end up pulling an all nighter and drinking lots of coffee to get me through the day.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who are like "Don't ask me anything, don't expect me to function until I've had my morning cup of tea/coffee". Always comes across as quite passive aggressive.
  • shuddupfluffyshuddupfluffy Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annoying things:

Finding that the toilet roll has run out but a new one hasn't been put on the holder
    Finding that a new toilet roll has been put on, but it is the wrong way round and the paper unravels with it near to the wall rather than over the front of the roll.
    Finding empty pots on the working top when they can be put in the dishwasher
    The person at work who takes guidance issued to all staff after a mistake and says, 'Well it wasn't me because I wasn't there that day!'
    The same person who takes guidance issued to all staff after a mistake that was theirs and then goes all out to find other peoples mistakes when it is not their responsibility to do so
    Letters that begin with, 'I am writing...' I can see that - get to the point!
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When an old actor or musician dies and people insist on saying '2016 can f*** off'

No offence and yes it's sad that somebody has died that you loved, but we're talking about people who are now in their late 70's - early 80's.
    It may come as a surprise to them but I suspect 2017 - 2025 will see many more famous people dropping off this mortal coil.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annoying things:

Finding that the toilet roll has run out but a new one hasn't been put on the holder
    Finding that a new toilet roll has been put on, but it is the wrong way round and the paper unravels with it near to the wall rather than over the front of the roll.
    Finding empty pots on the working top when they can be put in the dishwasher
    The person at work who takes guidance issued to all staff after a mistake and says, 'Well it wasn't me because I wasn't there that day!'
    The same person who takes guidance issued to all staff after a mistake that was theirs and then goes all out to find other peoples mistakes when it is not their responsibility to do so
    Letters that begin with, 'I am writing...' I can see that - get to the point!
    In that case, considering the thread is about annoying things, was there really a need for you to herald your list of annoyances with "Annoying things:" >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    In that case, considering the thread is about annoying things, was there really a need for you to herald your list of annoyances with "Annoying things:" >:(

Technically, the thread was about trivial things that annoy FMs. I declined to say if I thought they were trivial, but concentrated on the annoying aspect, hence my initial directive. Apologies if you found it annoying, though!
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technically, the thread was about trivial things that annoy FMs. I declined to say if I thought they were trivial, but concentrated on the annoying aspect, hence my initial directive. Apologies if you found it annoying, though!
    I did - Intensely!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term, 'very unique'. You can't have gradations of 'uniqueness' - something is either unique or not!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posters who don't use this thread to moan about something trivial but instead clog up the forum with endless threads about each seperate trivial thing that annoys them

The other side of that is people who use this thread to have a sly dig at another poster for something said on another thread. They try to make it sound as if it's a generic complaint, but it comes off as a bit passive aggressive.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who seem excessively shocked when I tell them I only have a passing interest in music.

More than once, someone has asked me who my favourite guitarist is. I can barely name three, let alone give a favourite, and they've reacted as though I just said I want to kill all first born babies.

A while back, someone asked me what the last music festival I went to was. I told her I'd never been to one in my life. She responded with fake outrage about how I was missing out on some majorly important aspect of life.

To me, it's spending a lot of money to sleep in a tent, surrounded by drunk people and drug users, while the event itself will be full of loud noise and a lot of music I probably won't appreciate. Each to their own, but please don't make me out to be some sort of social pariah.
  • LkjhLkjh Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    When an old actor or musician dies and people insist on saying '2016 can f*** off'

No offence and yes it's sad that somebody has died that you loved, but we're talking about people who are now in their late 70's - early 80's.
    It may come as a surprise to them but I suspect 2017 - 2025 will see many more famous people dropping off this mortal coil.

Also I think more famous people die each year because there are more famous people than ever.
  • Tiger RagTiger Rag Posts: 6,559
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    People who seem excessively shocked when I tell them I only have a passing interest in music.

More than once, someone has asked me who my favourite guitarist is. I can barely name three, let alone give a favourite, and they've reacted as though I just said I want to kill all first born babies.

A while back, someone asked me what the last music festival I went to was. I told her I'd never been to one in my life. She responded with fake outrage about how I was missing out on some majorly important aspect of life.

To me, it's spending a lot of money to sleep in a tent, surrounded by drunk people and drug users, while the event itself will be full of loud noise and a lot of music I probably won't appreciate. Each to their own, but please don't make me out to be some sort of social pariah.

As much as I love music, a music festival is my idea of hell. I've been to one. I am never doing that again.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    People who say 'when you have a minute will you do x' and then ask constantly until you do it

If they said there and then i would do it, But they made it seem as if it wasn't important and i could do it whenever
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to the cinema and sitting thru what are essentially tv ads. >:( Movie trailers... absolutely fine, it lets me know about films I might want to see in the future. But ads that I already see at home on tv for phones, cars, drinks, etc., and not just a few... 27 flippin' minutes of it. Ridiculous.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Women called Claire who call themselves Clairebare. It was (probably) cute when you were 11 but at 37 it's just annoying. I find these people also tend to say 'hollyberrys' rather than holidays...

They probably also wear Crocs too.

Actually -

People who wear Crocs. Acceptable for anybody aged 2 - 11 or while gardening only for adults.

Hollibobs! I friggin HATE it. I want to scream. Sara Cox said it this morning and it did my head in.

My girlfriend is called Claire and she doesn't call herself that but her mates do.
  • dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    The person who says, "I'm not being funny but..."

a) it always precedes something that deadens your soul ever so slightly
    b) they're always passive aggressive
    c) they're NEVER funny
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    The term, 'very unique'. You can't have gradations of 'uniqueness' - something is either unique or not!

You can't have a state which goes beyond unique, no, so you're right about "very unique". You can obviously qualify unique with another word so that the compound means something less than unique. For example, "almost unique", "not unique", and so on.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who say sheesh
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to the cinema and sitting thru what are essentially tv ads. >:( Movie trailers... absolutely fine, it lets me know about films I might want to see in the future. But ads that I already see at home on tv for phones, cars, drinks, etc., and not just a few... 27 flippin' minutes of it. Ridiculous.

In my local cinema most people don't bother going in until atleast 15 - 20 minutes past the start time. The seats are allocated anyway and the staff certainly don't care.
  • UIRUIR Posts: 2,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People not acknowledging that you have let them go on the roads. Most people do but theres always that 1 who you hope has a terrible day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my local cinema most people don't bother going in until atleast 15 - 20 minutes past the start time. The seats are allocated anyway and the staff certainly don't care.

The seats aren't assigned anymore at the cinema here, except for the premier seats. But yes, I can see why people show up deleberately late.

Another annoying matter... finding horse crap on the pavement/sidewalk. If you are riding a horse, then you should be on the road as it is transportation. If you are walking a horse and using the pavement, why are you exempt from cleaning up after your animal? Perhaps not many towns have this problem but it's not uncommon to see horse muck on the pavement here in Blackpool. Dog mess is bad enough but horse? Their crap is massive.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The seats aren't assigned anymore at the cinema here, except for the premier seats. But yes, I can see why people show up deleberately late.

Another annoying matter... finding horse crap on the pavement/sidewalk. If you are riding a horse, then you should be on the road as it is transportation. If you are walking a horse and using the pavement, why are you exempt from cleaning up after your animal? Perhaps not many towns have this problem but it's not uncommon to see horse muck on the pavement here in Blackpool. Dog mess is bad enough but horse? Their crap is massive.

We usually get police horses doing that here.
This discussion has been closed.