Calais. Armed people smugglers blocking roads.

Comments

• ThornfieldThornfield Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I feel really sorry for the native inhabitants of Calais.

Me too, it's heartbreaking no one seems to give a damn about THEM. Same for the natives of Italy, that country is also taking an almighty battering but if anyone tries to point it out they are the scum of the earth.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    A good option would be to compulsorily sterilize any illegal immigrant caught in the UK, if they were unwilling to go back. Stop fussy footing around.

That's a very interesting idea of a "good option". :o
    Forum Member
    Thornfield wrote: »
    Me too, it's heartbreaking no one seems to give a damn about THEM. Same for the natives of Italy, that country is also taking an almighty battering but if anyone tries to point it out they are the scum of the earth.

No one's said that but you.
    Forum Member
    Marginally better?

For some strange reason we laud the parasites, treat them like princes, and shower money on them.

Why do you refer to asylum seekers as "parasites"? And no need to be silly - we don't exactly treat them like princes or shower money on them. As a general rule we just treat them humanely.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    A good option would be to compulsorily sterilize any illegal immigrant caught in the UK, if they were unwilling to go back. Stop fussy footing around.

hitler called, he wants his humanity back.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parasite: an organism that gets its food at the expense of its host.

That sounds right to me.
    Forum Member

That sounds right to me.

But weren't you using the word in its other (derogatory) sense?
    "a person who habitually relies on or exploits others and gives nothing in return."

Why would you assume that an asylum seeker would give nothing in return if they are accepted and have settled here?
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That sounds right to me.

Would you expect another country to help you if you had to flee the UK?
    Would you appreciate being called a vile name like parasite? From someone who said all UK Muslims should be imprisoned, it's hardly surprising.
    Have you any stats to back up this idea you have of refugees giving nothing back to the countries who host them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    That's a very interesting idea of a "good option". :o

Taken from Hitler's handy pocket book of "good options".

More good options from the French today.

Britain should set up office at Calais 'jungle' to process refugees, says head of region
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/29/britain-should-set-up-office-at-calais-jungle-to-process-refugee/?
    Migrants in the so-called Calais 'jungle' camp who are seeking asylum in the UK should be allowed to lodge their claim in France, the head of the region has said.

In an interview with the BBC, Xavier Bertrand said he was pushing for a new deal in which migrants requested asylum at a "hotspot" in France, instead of waiting until they reach Britain.
    Those who failed to claim asylum would be deported back to their home country.

As a regional chief, Mr Bertrand has no power to change the current Le Touquet agreement, in which British police check passports in Calais, keeping the border with France on French soil.

However, two of the candidates running for the French presidency this year - Nicolas Sarkozy and Alain Juppé - have called for the Le Touquet agreement to be reformed or scrapped altogether.

Hotspots and for the zillionth time, tear up the treaty. Both guaranteed migrant magnets and even more chaos for the areas involved and of course the UK has to take on France's own responsibility.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    No one's said that but you.

Oh, believe me they have. Not here specifically although I have seen other FMs get ripped to shreds for wanting anything other than open borders/free movement. I've read enough threads on the subject of immigration/migrants to see just how nasty the discussion (on both sides, to be fair) can get just for happening in the first place.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there something in the French constitution why they don't employ a shoot-to-kill policy for gangs who set up road blocks and menace drivers with weapons? Disorder threatening national infrastructure sounds exactly the kind of situation to deploy the army. After all, nobody lays a tree on the road, wraps a towel around their head and arms themselves to collect for the Red Cross.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    I saw that on the news tonight, quite shocking stuff. You're right Craven, they should be deploying the army to deal with these thugs, instead they are just helping them on their way over to us. What happens when a lorry driver gets killed? Do you think the French will do something then?
  • gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no logical reason to think that when we leave the EU we would not be able to send them straight back to France. If anyone tried to enter the US for instance LAX without passport or correct papers they would be on a plane back before their feet touched the floor.
    Just because these people want to come here does not mean they are our responsibility.

As has been said many times if you were fleeing persecution you would be relieved at finding yourself in the first safe country, not travelling through several to get to where you think you might fancy your chances
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Taken from Hitler's handy pocket book of "good options".

Britain should set up office at Calais 'jungle' to process refugees, says head of region
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/29/britain-should-set-up-office-at-calais-jungle-to-process-refugee/?

Hotspots and for the zillionth time, tear up the treaty. Both guaranteed migrant magnets and even more chaos for the areas involved and of course the UK has to take on France's own responsibility.

Eh? How can you be a refugee and claim asylum from France? It's a perfectly safe country.

From the article:
    But many of the estimated 9,000 migrants and refugees in the 'jungle' say they are deeply unhappy [in France] as they believe their quality of life would be far better in the UK.

This is what a refugee is nowadays? Someone who reckons it might be nicer living in a different country? (And based on what, exactly?)
  • PlayamontePlayamonte Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The remedy is bloody simple !
    Change the law/Declare that any migrant entering the UK from safe Europe will have not the slightest chance of staying and will be removed ASAP.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    I saw the report this morning too. What astonished me is that the amount of people camped out in Calais awaiting to get through to the UK is estimated at 10,000 people. I thought is was a few *hundred*, not those sort of numbers!!

It's clearly become a huge problem,

With that many migrants in Calais it makes it look like France is so bad that people are fleeing France and are seeking asylum seeker status in the UK as refugees from France.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Playamonte wrote: »
    The remedy is bloody simple !
    Change the law/Declare that any migrant entering the UK from safe Europe will have not the slightest chance of staying and will be removed ASAP.

Under the Dublin Regulation no-one entering the UK illegally from another EU country has the right to have their asylum claim accepted. It's rarely applied.
    There is no logical reason to think that when we leave the EU we would not be able to send them straight back to France. If anyone tried to enter the US for instance LAX without passport or correct papers they would be on a plane back before their feet touched the floor.
    Just because these people want to come here does not mean they are our responsibility.

As has been said many times if you were fleeing persecution you would be relieved at finding yourself in the first safe country, not travelling through several to get to where you think you might fancy your chances

We don't do it now when we have the right under Dublin. Out of the EU we wouldn't have any legal right to return migrants and France certainly wouldn't allow it.
    People can claim asylum anywhere they choose if the country is a signatory of the Refugee Convention. Whether the claim is accepted is another matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Eh? How can you be a refugee and claim asylum from France? It's a perfectly safe country.

From the article:
    This is what a refugee is nowadays? Someone who reckons it might be nicer living in a different country? (And based on what, exactly?)

Yes, an amusing interpretation. Let's hope the UK isn't daft enough to give in. Imagine if the boot was on the other foot?
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    So do I, the immigrants at Calais many are showing that they are not in fact desperate to flee anywhere as if they were they would have applied for asylum in the first safe country, instead they abuse the EU open borders and wander to France to get here. Personally I think they should be removed from Calais and given a choice of applying for asylum in the first country they arrived in or returning home, the majority appear not to be Syrians fleeing for their lives .

Mind you Jean Claude Juncker will not help matters by his latest speech claiming borders are the worst thing invented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvSLrSxL_eQ

https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu/articles/news/juncker-criticised-saying-national-borders-are-worst-invention-ever

However I think it also convenient for the likes of Greece and Italy to turn a blind eye because as soon as the migrants cross to another country they become someone else's "problem".

According to the Dublin Agreement and asylum seeker entering Europe should seek asylum at the fist safe place they land. To me anyone who isn't prepared to do that should be seen as an economic migrant and treated accordingly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there something in the French constitution why they don't employ a shoot-to-kill policy for gangs who set up road blocks and menace drivers with weapons? Disorder threatening national infrastructure sounds exactly the kind of situation to deploy the army. After all, nobody lays a tree on the road, wraps a towel around their head and arms themselves to collect for the Red Cross.
    I agree.
    Once again it seems to be down to civilians to try to do something instead.

Calais locals to 'indefinitely' blockade port with 'human chain'
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/30/calais-locals-to-indefinitely-blockade-port-with-human-chain/?
    Shopkeepers, businessmen, farmers and police unionists in Calais have pledged to "indefinitely" block the motorway leading to the port with a "human chain", saying they will not break it until the migrant "jungle" camp that has now swollen to up to 10,000 is totally dismantled.

The unprecedented action, due to start next Monday, came as the local head of France’s national haulage federation warned: “Migrant violence hasn’t gone up a notch, it’s gone up ten floors.”

Lorry drivers representatives issued a joint call with an umbrella group of shops and businesses in Calais, the CGT union, farmers and the SCP Police union, saying they had run out of less militant ways of calling a “halt to insecurity in Calais”.

A brave decision when there are armed and unarmed thugs amongst them.
    What's the point of having a police force who aren't properly supported and an army they won't deploy and all there's left is militant action which probably won't run safely or smoothly. If it does have to happen good luck to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I find the most frustrating is if you suggest anything about helping people who are "natvies" in countries struggling to cope with immigration you get people saying you are must be a Britain First type. There seems to be a very twisted sense of disdain for even sympathising with "our own" people and I don't understand this.
  • Shopaholic26Shopaholic26 Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.
    Once again it seems to be down to civilians to try to do something instead.

Calais locals to 'indefinitely' blockade port with 'human chain'
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/30/calais-locals-to-indefinitely-blockade-port-with-human-chain/?

A brave decision when there are armed and unarmed thugs amongst them.
    What's the point of having a police force who aren't properly supported and an army they won't deploy and all there's left is militant action which probably won't run safely or smoothly. If it does have to happen good luck to them.

About bloody time. I do feel for them. Imagine if a lorry driver was killed because of these poor wee poets just trying to get to Britain for a better life? It would be the standard shock and outrage. Then we will be told, security will be beefed up and "lessons will be learnt". Then it just carries on as 'normal'. It gets right on my wick.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A UK official on the radio tried to side-step the idea with the unconvincing line that it would make Calais even more of a magnet to migrants. Maybe there's some law people are not thinking of that makes the UK more likely to have to accept more refugees if they are able to apply from France, as if them entering the country illegally is a strike against them in applying for asylum?

It's clear from the street that the majority of people are against free migration, but they are especially reluctant to express it when publicly identifiable They know which way the media wind blows; prevailing media is not in tune with public opinion, which is precisely why they did not see Brexit coming.

The French by EU law seem powerless to do anything about the mess in Calais, so ambitious politicians every now and again pop up to say it's all the UK's fault it is so attractive to migrants and that the UK is the problem and should do something about it. There's nothing more impotent they could say.
  • weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meanwhile over in italy
    About 3,000 migrants were picked up Tuesday from the central Mediterranean, the Italian coastguard said, raising to around 10,000 the rescue tally over the past 48 hours.[/QUOTE]

https://aboutcroatia.net/news/europe/italy-13000-migrants-rescued-mediterranean-48-hours-35025?
  • Shopaholic26Shopaholic26 Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meanwhile over in italy
    About 3,000 migrants were picked up Tuesday from the central Mediterranean, the Italian coastguard said, raising to around 10,000 the rescue tally over the past 48 hours.[/QUOTE]

https://aboutcroatia.net/news/europe/italy-13000-migrants-rescued-mediterranean-48-hours-35025?

It's never stopped. It's funny how it seems to be on the news agenda again lately. How is the Turkey deal supposed to be helping? Send them all back where they have come from.