Feral chav scum and their killer dogs

Comments

• treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was an 'intruder' and got bitten. Luckily it was a cockapoo. More powerfully jawed dogs don't bite and let go like this cockapoo did, they keep hold and shake. Basically they go in for the kill, there is no warning bite and the girl wouldn't have stood a chance at all. I guess that's the difference in breeds.

People always throw in the argument that all dogs are capable of biting and provide links of Jack Russels and chihauauas that have bitten people. No one is disagreeing that all dogs are capable of biting.

No one is saying that all bully breeds are dangerous either. Well raised ones can be nice dogs. The problem is that certain breeds attract certain types of dangerous owners and that often leads to disaster. Banning breeds gets us nowhere as they just move onto a similar breed and make those just as dangerous.

Personally, I'd go in for a total ban on unregulated breeding. If Terry Towerblock can't nip down the street to get himself a staffie pup for £50 this trend of hoodlums owning dogs that invariably end up mauling some poor kid to death at worst and at best terrorising the neighbourhood then that is a step in the right direction.

Everyone knows that shelters are full to the brim with staffy type dogs. It's time to put a stop to people breeding them. The only good thing about Staffies ending up in shelters is that they get desexed. They still end up miserable in cages though, that's no life for a dog and they're hard to rehome as they need experienced owners willing to take on a powerful breed with an unknown history. Those people aren't easy to find. Most people who take shelter dogs are just average families with kids looking for a nice easy pooch to be a part of the family.

I've just looked on my local shelters page and every single dog up for adoption says no small children, no other animals, needs training.So sad that these dogs are going to find it hard to find a home. All dogs deserve a home, loyal creatures that they are.

Lovely post.
  • MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago I had the misfortune of being bitten by a dog, it wasn't a banned breed or seemingly a dangerous dog, just one that had never been trained and was being allowed to roam free. The owners had just let it out to run around the front garden, despite them living on a busy road with a school opposite. After I got my wound treated I reported the owners, not out of spite, but because the incident had taken place just opposite a school meaning there was a possibility of it happening again, and also because the dog was being left alone on a busy road and could easily have come to harm.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Why? I want a Cockapoo. That's the dog I like the most.
    Because you can get many dogs that are very much like a Cockapoo from a rescue center without paying over the odds for a designer mutt and give a much needed home to a dog that needs it most.

I'm not surprised at all. People probably realised that they'd made a big mistake.
    More likely the poor things are over bred or abandoned by incompetent people who should never own any animal. 95% of the time a dog is in rescue because of the fault of the human.

They're the biggest killer of dogs. They've killed loads of people. Why would you want to paint them in a good light?

I don't deny different dog breeds have different types of personalities but any breed in the wrong hands can do bad things.

Unfortunately the look of Bull breeds tends to attract scum. The same way designer breeds attract those with more money then dog sense. If I wanted to generalise everyone.

And there was no painting. The images I showed were actual real live dogs doing a service job and making people's lives better. I find it ironic you are accusing me of painting a false picture when you later posted a picture of a barking Staffie next to a sitting Fluffy Mutt.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    She was an 'intruder' and got bitten. Luckily it was a cockapoo. More powerfully jawed dogs don't bite and let go like this cockapoo did, they keep hold and shake. Basically they go in for the kill, there is no warning bite and the girl wouldn't have stood a chance at all. I guess that's the difference in breeds.

People always throw in the argument that all dogs are capable of biting and provide links of Jack Russels and chihauauas that have bitten people. No one is disagreeing that all dogs are capable of biting.

No one is saying that all bully breeds are dangerous either. Well raised ones can be nice dogs. The problem is that certain breeds attract certain types of dangerous owners and that often leads to disaster. Banning breeds gets us nowhere as they just move onto a similar breed and make those just as dangerous.

Personally, I'd go in for a total ban on unregulated breeding. If Terry Towerblock can't nip down the street to get himself a staffie pup for £50 this trend of hoodlums owning dogs that invariably end up mauling some poor kid to death at worst and at best terrorising the neighbourhood then that is a step in the right direction.

Everyone knows that shelters are full to the brim with staffy type dogs. It's time to put a stop to people breeding them. The only good thing about Staffies ending up in shelters is that they get desexed. They still end up miserable in cages though, that's no life for a dog and they're hard to rehome as they need experienced owners willing to take on a powerful breed with an unknown history. Those people aren't easy to find. Most people who take shelter dogs are just average families with kids looking for a nice easy pooch to be a part of the family.

I've just looked on my local shelters page and every single dog up for adoption says no small children, no other animals, needs training.So sad that these dogs are going to find it hard to find a home. All dogs deserve a home, loyal creatures that they are.

Yes I think that breeding must now be heavily regulated, and I would like to see a law change regarding large jawed dogs, who do the most damage when they attack, all dogs have the capacity to attack, but the chances are a large jawed dog will give the most damage and they often kill. I think that a slow phasing out of such breeds by strict regulation would be in the best interests of the public.

As you say, the shelters are full of staffies, the poor buggers,our local dog and cat home is almost exclusively a staffie home, and none can be placed with children. the country is now flooded with unwanted staffies, we created them, we must now start to phase them, and other large jawed dogs, out IMO.
  • Sun Glasses RonSun Glasses Ron Posts: 17,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All dogs/cats/pets are capable of biting
    Its down to the owners & how they are bought up/treated-same as kids
    I have come across many who cant look after themselves or kids -so they buy a dog!

Its down to lack of responsibility & accountability in UK today
    Never their fault -their kids/dogs never do wrong etc

The authorities should target the owners as others have said
    Trends change & they move onto something else
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    We were awoken by the sound of a dogs squeeling a while back and it was a Staffy (off the lead) attacking a King Charles Spaniel (that was on a lead). The Spaniel's owner, who was a big lad, couldn't get the Staffy to release it's grip on the Spaniel. The Staffy owner - a junky scumbag - eventually pulled the Staffy dog free by pulling it's rear legs upwards and dragging it. The Staffy had torn the Spaniel's tail off and the Spaniel had to be put down as a result of its injuries.

That incident convinced me that all dogs that were originally bred for fighting/bull-baiting, etc, should be muzzled and kept on a lead in public at all times.

My brother-in-law also has a Staffy. It's the nicest, friendliest dog I know. It wouldn't hurt a fly.
  • DogueDogue Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    It also has the natural instinct to attack the face and throat and latch on as opposed to most breads who's natural instinct is to bite the legs and arms and let go.

I know which one I'd choose to share my home.

Popular urban myth.
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised that they haven't dropped the word 'bull' from their name and replaced it with 'fluffy' so that people can ignore their penchant for killing bulls.

If they can kill a bull, what chance does a human have?

Bull baiting never involved killing the bull.
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Yes I think that breeding must now be heavily regulated, and I would like to see a law change regarding large jawed dogs, who do the most damage when they attack, all dogs have the capacity to attack, but the chances are a large jawed dog will give the most damage and they often kill. I think that a slow phasing out of such breeds by strict regulation would be in the best interests of the public.

As you say, the shelters are full of staffies, the poor buggers,our local dog and cat home is almost exclusively a staffie home, and none can be placed with children. the country is now flooded with unwanted staffies, we created them, we must now start to phase them, and other large jawed dogs, out IMO.

The government have been trying that for 25 years with the DDA and it's been an utter failure both in achieving that outcome and protecting the public. I'm not sure after such catastrophic failure why anyone would suggest it. What's the jaw size limit for eliminating breeds? 3 infant fatalities have involved two jack russells and a patterdale terrier.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Once out of the house, they should all be muzzled by law, even on the lead - no exceptions, except a completely enclosed back yard or garden. Mandatory 6 month jail term for transgressors, increasing upwards if they attack, depending on severity of attack. Same if they run out of the house unmuzzled.

They're at best a bloody nuisance, at worst, killers.
    Agreed - with the exception of a few parks defined as dog areas. Let dog lovers deal with the consequences of entering then not normal people just going about their business.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the reason for owning a pitbull-type dog must be questioned. Is the owner using it in dog fights?
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    The dangerous dogs act is useless.

Innocent dogs are being put to sleep for no reason other than their looks, they may be completely harmless animals.
    Act should not put animals to sleep unless they have clear history being violent / dangerous plus needs to look owners not

just animal.

Hank the dog narrowly escaped being put sleep because of public outcry, looks like PitBull but seemingly harmless.

Look actions dog/ so called owners not what looks like.
    Forum Member
    I think the reason for owning a pitbull-type dog must be questioned. Is the owner using it in dog fights?

Given that the number of pit bull type dogs that are actually used for fighting are a tiny minority of the entire population, that would be extremely unlikely.

Did you know that crossbreeding legal breeds such as boxer x lab or SBT x lab can produce an illegal pit bull type dog? If you have a KC registered SBT that grew a bit long in the leg this could also be an illegal pit bull type dog.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would do something about those idiots also. I own two very small dogs but I'm very worried about taking them a walk because there always seems to be some dimwit walking their Staffies without their lead on. My dogs wouldn't stand a chance if they got attacked. :(

I don't agree with banning breeds either I firmly believe the owner should be punished severely.
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muzzling them in public/busy areas is surely better than having animals destroyed en masse because of a minority of ignorant and irresponsible pet owners.. at least when your out and about you can visually figure out from the lack of one on the dog the sort of person that owns it
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dogue wrote: »
    Given that the number of pit bull type dogs that are actually used for fighting are a tiny minority of the entire population, that would be extremely unlikely.

Did you know that crossbreeding legal breeds such as boxer x lab or SBT x lab can produce an illegal pit bull type dog? If you have a KC registered SBT that grew a bit long in the leg this could also be an illegal pit bull type dog.

Yes, thank you, I did know that. I'm not sure how that's relevant to what I said.

I also realise that few of the dogs we see on the streets are used for fighting, but I have a feeling the minority is not as tiny as you might think. Dog fighting is big business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popular urban myth.

Really? I'd never heard of it until recently when a dog behavioural expert stated it on a TV program about dogs. He seemed to know what he was talking about and personally, I believe him as it explains why so many adults are killed by the breed.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Possibly, but it is also a way of owning a "weapon" without a licence or getting into trouble - until it savages someone that is.

A dangerous dog (whether banned or non-banned that has been trained to attack) is as much a weapon as a knife, gun, machete or whatever. And these Terry Towerblock (love it whoever said that :D ) chavs know it.
  • NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Banning a breed of dog is utterly useless. The problem has always and will always be at the other end of the lead.

Hope you don't mind Lyceum. Although I agree with the whole of your post, the first sentence was enough and deserved an edited second highlighting on it's own.
    Forum Member
    Yes, thank you, I did know that. I'm not sure how that's relevant to what I said.

I also realise that few of the dogs we see on the streets are used for fighting, but I have a feeling the minority is not as tiny as you might think. Dog fighting is big business.

It's relevant in as much as what you think may be a pitbull may have no ancestry to one whatsoever.

Dog fighting is not big business in this country.
    Forum Member
    Really? I'd never heard of it until recently when a dog behavioural expert stated it on a TV program about dogs. He seemed to know what he was talking about and personally, I believe him as it explains why so many adults are killed by the breed.

Sounds like the guy on to was far from an expert if he said that. It's the kind of garbage I expect to see in the daily fail. Pitbull doesn't refer to a single breed btw. Did this guy refer to pitbull bring a breed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the guy on tv was far from an expert if he said that. It's the kind of garbage I expect to see in the daily fail. Pitbull doesn't refer to a single breed btw. Did this guy refer to pitbull bring a breed?

He was referring to Staffordshire Bull terriers and why they have a bad reputation. He talked quite positively about them and then went on to explain their natural instincts which was quite frightening.
    Forum Member
    He was referring to Staffordshire Bull terriers and why they have a bad reputation. He talked quite positively about them and then went on to explain their natural instincts which was quite frightening.

Sounds like he never mentioned that all game bred fighting dogs were bred to never bite a human under any circumstances then. From you've mentioned already, this guy seems miles off contemporary behaviour and science.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it should be simple enough to measure the bite strength of all dogs and ban any that have the power to cause damage. Why do we need potentially dangerous animals in public places, regardless of who the owner is?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Surely it should be simple enough to measure the bite strength of all dogs and ban any that have the power to cause damage. Why do we need potentially dangerous animals in public places, regardless of who the owner is?

This would be the logical answer but some people think that keeping a breed of dog that is capable of taking a human life is acceptable.

Sadly, other breeds that have the ability but not the inclination will suffer.