MP 'gay couples shouldn't marry because they can't 'procreate and raise a child'

BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,258
Forum Member
✭✭
Just read this and found it slightly shocking

https://www.facebook.com/nicholas.lansley/posts/10150793227836174

I find some of things he says completely out of touch with society.
It is my strong personal, moral and religious belief that the institution of marriage is to provide the foundation of a stable relationship in which those two people of the opposite sex procreate and raise a child.

My auntie has just gotten married and shes basically past the age to have children. Surely under his view point they shouldn't be allowed to marry as they can not create life. Imo this is just underlying homophobia and he is just finding excuses to make his views justifiable.

I possibly am just over reacting but this has got me wound up. What do other people think?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you are not over reacting. We are way past marriage for fertile, young couples only. Anyone can get married now, providing they are of opposite sex (not that I agree with that). Marriage is not about producing children. The MP in question is living in the dark ages.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eww. Elected by a majority of 106. Unlucky for the people of Hendon. Still, we know that MP's disagree on the subject, so some people are bound to get letters like this.

What can you say? It's not a nice argument that gay marriage can't be allowed because children would have to be told about it but it's obviously the best he can come up with. Let's hope Hendon get a better MP next time.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Another gay marriage thread?
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another gay marriage thread?

Sorry I don't post in this part of the forum much. Just wanted to see other peoples views on this
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy is either a knuckle-dragging moron or a self-hating closet homosexual. Or both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd respect people opposing gay marriage so much more if they had just one argument for that position that was even approaching internal consistency.
  • Julian-FreakJulian-Freak Posts: 2,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh noez!!
    Couples getting married and dare not have kids, especially those that can't procreate. Will this stretch to infertile couples, will they be stopped from marrying?????
    The horror!!!
    :eek:
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So by his admission, infertile couples and elderly couple who can no longer have children should never marry.
    Also, there should never be single parents due to them not being able to raise a child properly.

Yet another bigoted moron.
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    "It is my strong personal, moral and religious belief ..."

Well it may be his opinion but in what way is it moral to treat someone as not equal?

And it seems to suggest that anyone with a different view is not moral.

And if it's personal, why the hell doesn't he keep it to himself?

Typical face of some religious people; they think only they are moral.

And that's before you start on the contradictions.
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    echad wrote: »
    I'd respect people opposing gay marriage so much more if they had just one argument for that position that was even approaching internal consistency.

His argument doesn't even apply to a lot of straight people so holds no water as a valid argument, full stop.

Why are these people allowed to comment without anyone questioning them?
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,766
    Forum Member
    Should we be surprised that this letter has come from a Conservative MP? NO

The Conservative party has a history of such bigotry, just look at their voting history in parliament on equal rights for homosexuals here: http://mygayvote.co.uk/
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He could almost be the twin of the person who told me the other day that my 28 year marriage wasn't a real marriage as we had not been able to have our own children, complete morons IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marriage is a piece of paper, giving you different legal rights, sod all to do with having kids.

Some people feel this piece of paper means a lot to them and I think that is great and they use the ceremony and marriage to signify their love (if they choose to go that way) but these pathetic excuses for stopping certain relationships from aquiring one, is quite frankly tedious.

As I have said before, if they refuse to let two people in a legal relationship have the marriage certificate, they may as well disallow gay relationships.
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If marriage is supposed to be about children, and if children are only supposed to be within a marrriage they were naturally born into, let's force every married couple to get on with breeding right away. Anyone not pregnant within 3 months, or not already raising their own biological children, they're automatically divorced.

Anyone with children or pregnant who aren't married, I suppose they have to get the choice between marriage, abortion, sterilization if they refuse to get married (in the proper way), and adopting away any children they already have... No, this means an eliminiation of adoption, doesn't it? So we'll execute all children that are not with both their biological parents.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    His argument doesn't even apply to a lot of straight people so holds no water as a valid argument, full stop.

Why are these people allowed to comment without anyone questioning them?

You beat em to it
    I was gonna comment that there's heaters who can't make kids
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Church of England web site:

The gift of marriage brings husband and wife together in the delight and tenderness of sexual union and joyful commitment to the end of their lives. It is given as the foundation of family life in which children are [born and] nurtured and in which each member of the family, in good times and in bad, may find strength, companionship and comfort, and grow to maturity in love.

So if you read it properly, it's saying that the purpose of a religious marriage is to for two people to make a lifelong commitment to each other, to have sex and provide companionship and basically be there for each other whatever happens. It doesn't say they have to have children, just that being married provides a good foundation for starting a family.

I'm not religious (or married) but I don't think there's much wrong with that and I don't see why a same-sex couple couldn't marry using the same wording. Just change "husband and wife" as appropriate.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Is anyone naive enough to believe what the (surprise!) Tory MP has to say? He's a bigot. He came up with a lame excuse. He doesn't believe it anymore than the rest of us do. He could've picked a more convincing 'reason'. If an MP was as bigoted towards blacks and Asians as they are allowed to be against gays then they would be kicked out of the party.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Fools like him shouldn't be in politics.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Should we be surprised that this letter has come from a Conservative MP? NO

The Conservative party has a history of such bigotry, just look at their voting history in parliament on equal rights for homosexuals here: http://mygayvote.co.uk/

Totally agree. A dreadful, bigoted unpleasant group of individuals. I couldn't ever bring myself to vote for the Tories for this very reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    "And if it's personal, why the hell doesn't he keep it to himself?

He's an MP and he was asked a question by one of his constituents. There is no 'party line' here, so he was obliged to answer as his own conscience dictated. Personally I think that he could have given a more tactful answer even so: he could briefly have explained that he would not be supporting it and left it at that instead of preaching a sermon.

No harm in writing to your MP's though. At least it will stop any of them trumpeting away about how they know all their constituents hate the idea.
    molliepops wrote: »
    He could almost be the twin of the person who told me the other day that my 28 year marriage wasn't a real marriage as we had not been able to have our own children, complete morons IMO.

:eek: I hope you ate him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Just read this and found it slightly shocking

https://www.facebook.com/nicholas.lansley/posts/10150793227836174

I find some of things he says completely out of touch with society.

My auntie has just gotten married and shes basically past the age to have children. Surely under his view point they shouldn't be allowed to marry as they can not create life. Imo this is just underlying homophobia and he is just finding excuses to make his views justifiable.

I possibly am just over reacting but this has got me wound up. What do other people think?

I was thinking about that the other day (not about your auntie specifically). With more and more people getting divorced, marriages between middle-aged and older people are far more frequent than they used to be, and most of the time they aren't planning to start a new family.
    I think it's worthwhile considering what the point of marriage is in modern society. Whereas in the past it had a very practical reason - to impose a duty of care on a man to look after his women and offspring, and to make sure that his widow and children could inherit his assets and status - these days there is very little point from the practical aspect. People can just live together, have kids, own property jointly, and there is very little distinction between married and cohabiting couples.
    So if there is no practical reason, what's the point in anyone getting married these days?
    And the answer is because they want to, and no better reason is needed. They might as well let the gays get married too, because to society as a whole it will make not the slightest difference, but it will make a difference to a very small percentage of the population.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marriage should be available to all consenting adults that want to commit to their chosen partner. I can't see how anyone can have a reasonable argument against that simple premise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    It's a heinous crime against God and His plan of pro-creation and disgusting and vile, just to think of where those gays shove their body parts into another human being makes me sick. AND you can kick & scream & shout & stomp ur tiny little feet or butt off the pavement, NO ! amount of argument from anyone on this forum or planet will make me change my mind........There, everybody have a wonderful day..........:D
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s-m-f-m wrote: »
    It's a heinous crime against God and His plan of pro-creation and disgusting and vile, just to think of where those gays shove their body parts into another human being makes me sick. AND you can kick & scream & shout & stomp ur tiny little feet or butt off the pavement, NO ! amount of argument from anyone on this forum or planet will make me change my mind........There, everybody have a wonderful day..........:D

You are aware that many hetero couples shove their body parts into the same places as gays right?
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Sentamu's at it again too: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/17/justice-equality-same-sex-marriage

Similar "arguments" to the MP, so I thought I'd stick it here rather than make yet another new thread!