Options

Please Disable Your Ad Blocking Software....

Comments

• Options
    AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    For me and my laptops, pages become unusably slow to load, so sites cannot be browsed at any sensible speed (and some of the adverts are very intrusive and occasionally they are mal-infected).

If you setup a Virtual Machine, you could probably simulate the effect by only allowing it a small amount of memory.

I'll be happy to tolerate ads if these issues are fixed.

Unlikely to happen, any more than the US banning guns. It's too late now.

http://www.extremetech.com/internet/220696-forbes-forces-readers-to-turn-off-ad-blockers-promptly-serves-malware
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then there is noscript to think about.
  • Options
    BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started using Adblock when I picked up a virus from an advertisement on this very site a few years ago. I now use AdBlock, Flashblock, NoScript, Do Not Track Me, Disconnect, Google Disconnet, Ghostery and Better Privacy and if I cannot access a site without allowing advertisements I just exit from it and go somewhere else.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me and my laptops, pages become unusably slow to load, so sites cannot be browsed at any sensible speed (and some of the adverts are very intrusive and occasionally they are mal-infected).

If you setup a Virtual Machine, you could probably simulate the effect by only allowing it a small amount of memory.

I'll be happy to tolerate ads if these issues are fixed.

Unlikely to happen, any more than the US banning guns. It's too late now.

I suppose it helps when an SSD is in your system. I almost never have any problems. The odd time a webpage will freeze, but about 97% (maybe more) of each month I have trouble-free web surfing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started using Adblock when I picked up a virus from an advertisement on this very site a few years ago. I now use AdBlock, Flashblock, NoScript, Do Not Track Me, Disconnect, Google Disconnet, Ghostery and Better Privacy and if I cannot access a site without allowing advertisements I just exit from it and go somewhere else.

Bloody hell! That's a bit over the top.
  • Options
    DAVE-ODAVE-O Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    There are some plug-ins available for Google Chrome that hide your ad blocker.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hide-my-adblocker/gihcngphjjankfngmgdkihhngndcdflc?hl=en

Though I myself still get the message.

Good luck.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Bloody hell! That's a bit over the top.

I'll bet he only watches/listens to BBC on TV/radio!

I use some sites which I know are ad supported where the guys are providing a useful service, but only use ads to help cover their costs. I have no issues with these, as the ads are fairly non intrusive.

My pet hate are the UK commercial catch up services. It is not even the ads that annoy me really, but the way they are injected as a separate datastream - it's not like watching a program on tv or old fashioned video tape.

Problem is the interfaces between the ads and program often glitch, and you often have to start program again from the very beginning (they are supposed to remember your last point but often fail), and you have to go through all the ads again, some times several times.

I can watch ITV using Plex via an unofficial channel extension for ITV which cuts all the ads out, but no good for all4 or demand 5.

I often just record the commercial programs using a screen/sound capture program and then I can fast forward through the ads (like on a video recording).
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a funny thing the web, freeloaders without ads feel an entitlement to be where they are simply not wanted.

I recall that in the 70s, small sections of youth would climb the fence at the football ground to gain free entry. But that was a very small non vocal percentage.

Now for www businesses to survive, the websites will need to cage us all in.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Now for www businesses to survive, the websites will need to cage us all in.
    Given that you have can have free phones apps with ads and paid for apps ad free, why don't websites attempt offer the same option?
    There is no way I am going to use DS with its history of malware ads without sensible protection, but I would pay a small fee to be ad free.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Given that you have can have free phones apps with ads and paid for apps ad free, why don't websites attempt offer the same option?
    There is no way I am going to use DS with its history of malware ads without sensible protection, but I would pay a small fee to be ad free.
    You are very much the exception. Paid sites are certainly failing.

Moving from the web into apps only, near enough guarantees no one can avoid ads.
    A current puzzle is that iAd(for apps) is said to be closing this June, despite making $0.5 billion for Apple 2014.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Script blockers can stop some videos from playing automatically.
    Catch up TV seems rather hard to get round if you want to watch the programme.

Yes, ran into that with Ch 4 player at the weekend. :( Understandable I suppose.
  • Options
    JimezJimez Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I get these a lot, if i disable my adblocking software i'll open my PC up to infections from malware and virus's. Yeah, won't be doing that anytime soon.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Bee wrote: »
    How do people browse the internet these days without an ad blocker? It'd be unbearable.
    I don't know how people can be bothered to browse the internet with a phone.
  • Options
    stewiegriffinstewiegriffin Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »

why not? its no different on 90% of sites.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

Apps are becoming more common these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimez wrote: »
    I get these a lot, if i disable my adblocking software i'll open my PC up to infections from malware and virus's. Yeah, won't be doing that anytime soon.

I have my ad-blocker disabled nearly all the time and my antivirus hasn't reported any infections yet. Saying this though, I don't go to dodgy sites that could have infections in them. The same for malware. I scan my computer often.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    DAVE-O wrote: »
    There are some plug-ins available for Google Chrome that hide your ad blocker.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hide-my-adblocker/gihcngphjjankfngmgdkihhngndcdflc?hl=en

Though I myself still get the message.

Good luck.

Adblock Plus now asks me if I want to block the nag messages that some sites display when you are blocking ads. Works a treat on the few sites I've tried! :D

Having said that I am happy to allow non-intrusive non-flash ads and I do that on such sites.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abp is not working that good for me much anymore and also keep being asked to turn if off on sites. on Chrome
    Now gone back to IE11 and with the tracking protection add on seems to work fine for me.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    abp is not working that good for me much anymore and also keep being asked to turn if off on sites. on Chrome
    Now gone back to IE11 and with the tracking protection add on seems to work fine for me.
    uBlock Origin is better than ABP, IMO. It has a Chrome extension...
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will give that a try :)
  • Options
    Lottie_loweLottie_lowe Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    If you have got Adblock installed just ...

Click on the Adblock icon in your browser. Select "Options" and under "Filter Lists" go to section "Other Filter Lists" and tick the box next to "Adblock Warning Removal List (removes warnings about using ad blockers)", let it update itself and you are done.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    If you have got Adblock installed just ...

Click on the Adblock icon in your browser. Select "Options" and under "Filter Lists" go to section "Other Filter Lists" and tick the box next to "Adblock Warning Removal List (removes warnings about using ad blockers)", let it update itself and you are done.

I didn't even have to do that (Firefox), Adblock noticed the warning and asked me if I wanted to hide them, clicked yes, now they are gone (on the few sites I use that have them)!
  • Options
    Lottie_loweLottie_lowe Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I didn't even have to do that (Firefox), Adblock noticed the warning and asked me if I wanted to hide them, clicked yes, now they are gone (on the few sites I use that have them)!

Before I adjusted the setting in my AdBlock (Google Chrome) there was no prompt from AdBlock advising me about such option.

With IE 11 I use a different ad blocker which is called Adblock Plus. Browsing the same affected websites with IE 11 and Adblock Plus didn't/doesn't bring up any nagging screens to turn my ad blocker off.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've disabled ABP on forbes.com but stil can't get in with FF 43.0.4
  • Options
    beans0ntoastbeans0ntoast Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Very few of them dare actually ban adblockers as people will move to alternative sites. Instead, they resort to messages asking you to consider unblocking.
    I occasionally unblock sites to see what advertising they actually have. Those that don't have any obtrusive advertising get a permanent pass (very few). However, others are kept blocked,
    I don't think there is any one site that I need to the extent that being banned for having an adblocker would have any affect on me. So, the blocking remains part of the armoury....

I've only ever had one website act funny on me about not running an adblocker - and that is the Channel 4 On Demand Player. Having said that, it was a very weird player, becasue it didn't like me using incognito mode either (to avoid it popping up in my history/omnibox)!

Also We7/Blinkbox Music used to not let you play music with the adblocker enabled, but neither of those exist any more.

Wrt the Yahoo thing... if someone stopped me from accessing my emails just because I was using an adblocker then I would switch email providers.