Options

Illegal Immigrants may have died in lorry.

Comments

• Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    A321 wrote: »
    I've said this all along. Is it because those countries simply tell them 'NO'. Unlike here?

Seems likely but isn't Holland has almost as "easy-going" immigration system as the UK. Perhapse their benefits aren't as generous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    France also has a quality of life far beyond that of Britain. Their country is peaceful and not crowded as we are. Has it not crossed anyone's mind that maybe they are the ones that have it right?

If France is so great ....

Why do all the immigrants risk life + limb getting across the channel illegally?

And why don't you move there if it is so much better than Britain?
  • Options
    SilverShredSilverShred Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Seems likely but isn't Holland has almost as "easy-going" immigration system as the UK. Perhapse their benefits aren't as generous.
    No-one out-does the UK for benefits and freebies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying that everyone and their dog should move to Britain. I'm not saying that perhaps these people shouldn't have stopped in a different country.

I'm merely astonished at the hatred directed towards people who want a better life. And the dehumanising of them in the process.

You want to live in a country like Britain - why is it so strange that anyone else might want to also? You are lucky to live here - don't hate these people, just count your own blessings.
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    red tulips wrote: »
    This is a horrible story which I find quite heartbreaking.

What disturbs me, almost more, are the reader comments at the bottom of the story. Absolutely shocking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1279876/Five-illegal-immigrants-locked-French-refrigerated-lorry-feared-dead.html

What do you expect from the Daily Fail? The people who comment on their news stories are not known for their sensitivity or compassion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying that everyone and their dog should move to Britain. I'm not saying that perhaps these people shouldn't have stopped in a different country.

I'm merely astonished at the hatred directed towards people who want a better life. And the dehumanising of them in the process.

You want to live in a country like Britain - why is it so strange that anyone else might want to also? You are lucky to live here - don't hate these people, just count your own blessings.

They can want to live here all they want, lots of British people would like to live in Canada, US or Australia but you don't see them trying to enter those countries illegally. If these people want to come live in the UK they should apply through the approriate channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can want to live here all they want, lots of British people would like to live in Canada, US or Australia but you don't see them trying to enter those countries illegally. If these people want to come live in the UK they should apply through the approriate channels.

Do all countries make it easy for their citizens to repatriate?
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member

There's no "luck" about it. I was born here because my parents are British, and the country is the way it is because British people worked and fought to make it this way. It didn't just "happen".
  • Options
    SilverShredSilverShred Posts: 142
    Forum Member

This is an over-simplification. We have a RIGHT to live here - regardless of wether we want to live here or not. These people do NOT have the right to live here and are ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

What's not to understand?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    There's no "luck" about it. I was born here because my parents are British, and the country is the way it is because British people worked and fought to make it this way. It didn't just "happen".

It didn't just happen with 'British' people either. My grandparents were from Russia and Poland. They, my parents and myself have all contributed to this country.

I think you'll find that quite a few 'British' people don't have 40 generations of British born heritage behind them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It didn't just happen with 'British' people either. My grandparents were from Russia and Poland. They, my parents and myself have all contributed to this country.

I think you'll find that quite a few 'British' people don't have 40 generations of British born heritage behind them.

Did those people jump on a truck and sneak into Britain or did they apply through legal channels?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an over-simplification. We have a RIGHT to live here - regardless of wether we want to live here or not. These people do NOT have the right to live here and are ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

What's not to understand?

If you re-read my post, I'm not saying that 'these people' have a right to live here necessarily.

I'm just can't understand the hatred towards them because they want a better life for themselves. You can deny them that opportunity for a variety of reasons, but I don't see why it has to involve dehumanising them.

If they can't have the kind of life they want in their own country, is it not natural that they would seek it elsewhere? For example, if a gay couple cannot live together in Malawi, I can understand why they would prefer to try to live somewhere else. You don't have to let them in, but you don't have to hate them either.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    DId I miss something?

The article says they broke out of the lorry, and so hence are still alive, so why are people acting like they died?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you re-read my post, I'm not saying that 'these people' have a right to live here necessarily.

I'm just can't understand the hatred towards them because they want a better life for themselves. You can deny them that opportunity for a variety of reasons, but I don't see why it has to involve dehumanising them.

If they can't have the kind of life they want in their own country, is it not natural that they would seek it elsewhere? For example, if a gay couple cannot live together in Malawi, I can understand why they would prefer to try to live somewhere else. You don't have to let them in, but you don't have to hate them either.

People hate people for trying to sneak into the country, for receiving overly generous benefits, for not integrating into the country way of life, for getting houses when public housing stock is in short supply.

Why are you so hung up on if people "hate" them or not. I doubt these people care either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did those people jump on a truck and sneak into Britain or did they apply through legal channels?

To be perfectly honest, I actually don't know. I'm in the process of doing our family tree and I'll be finding out I guess. I imagine it was legal.

I do know however, that they arrived speaking no English at all. And as two families, which between them had 11 small children at the time.

Either way, 'those people' were still people, and I'm grateful to live in this country whether they jumped on a truck or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    People hate people for trying to sneak into the country, for receiving overly generous benefits, for not integrating into the country way of life, for getting houses when public housing stock is in short supply.

Why are you so hung up on if people "hate" them or not. I doubt these people care either.

Well that's a completely generalising and inaccurate statement. If you were even aware of the asylum and immigration process, you would know they'd be detained in a detention centre whilst their claim was being processed and often housed on the roughest housing estate, sometimes 6 men to a house, often strangers, being allocated one room each. I also don't know where you get the idea of overly generous benefits form too, when often they are given a choice from the housing provider for either a washing machine OR a TV. Many of these asylum seekers are prohibited from work, otherwise they could pay their own pay if needbe.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

why not apply to come to the UK in the correct manner then and why is it nearly always men that want this "better life"
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who receives overly generous benefits?

If you're an illegal immigrant surely you can't claim anything and if you're a bone fide asylum seeker you get about 70% of income support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is speculative and irrelevant.

Thanks for explaining why you 'hate' (or whichever word is appropriate - I don't know if hate is) them. I still don't understand it but I appreciate you giving it a shot. To me, it doesn't really answer the question about the gay people, for example.

As for being hung up on it...I like to try to understand things that differ vastly from my own viewpoint. I find it interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Riccy wrote: »
    Well that's a completely generalising and inaccurate statement. If you were even aware of the asylum and immigration process, you would know they'd be detained in a detention centre whilst their claim was being processed and often housed on the roughest housing estate, sometimes 6 men to a house, often strangers, being allocated one room each. I also don't know where you get the idea of overly generous benefits form too, when often they are given a choice from the housing provider for either a washing machine OR a TV. Many of these asylum seekers are prohibited from work, otherwise they could pay their own pay if needbe.

If that is the case, then good. They shouldn't be free to roam the country if their status is not clear. I have no way of knowing if your comment are actually true.

As for my comments that is way they are percieved by the public and why they are hated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    why not apply to come to the UK in the correct manner then and why is it nearly always men that want this "better life"

There a variety of reasons, depending on which countries. For example, homosexual men in Iran fleeing because of the strict regime.

Previous child soldiers from the congo.

Often, if they have their claim approved they can bring their children or wife over, if not, then they don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

I asked earlier, but no one answered....do all countries make it easy for their citizens to apply or repatriate? Especially repressed ones? I don't know.

I don't understand your point about men.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To me, it doesn't really answer the question about the gay people, for example.
    What about them, they can want to live somewhere else if they want. If they want to live in the UK they should apply through the correct channels. If they have skills and qualification that are needed by the UK then they may be allowed in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If that is the case, then good. They shouldn't be free to roam the country if their status is not clear. I have no way of knowing if your comment are actually true.

It's true believe me.
    What would you have done? Shackle them?

As for my comments that is way they are percieved by the public and why they are hated.

..and they are actively dictated to the public often by certain rags who are biased in their views. And Mr Joe Bloggs tends to believe the hysteria-ridden articles too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do hate to play semantics, but I must say that I am a member of the public and don't hate them. So perhaps you could rephrase that to clarify that it is you, and some of the public that hate them.