What channels do you want on Freeview in 2013?

Comments

• jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I'd like to be dropped (none of which will happen):

ITV1+1
    Channel 4+1
    Channel 5+1
    ITV2+1
    E4+1

The timeshifts add to the audience reach and so increase advertising income at relatively little cost.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im lucky as I live close to the transmitter and don't have really any issues with picture quality.
    Unlike analogue, actual picture quality on digital should be the same regardless of how near or far away you are from the transmitter.

For example a channel broadcast at 544x576 with a low bitrate will look equally crap whether you are one mile or twenty miles from the transmitter.

The only difference with being nearer is you'll probably have a stronger signal that's less prone to interference.
  • JacquicrosslandJacquicrossland Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'd like to see Vintage TV on Freeview as an alternative to the three modern music channels and an old British Film channel showing stuff from the 30s to the present with old PIFs filling in the gaps where the films are shorter.
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JML Direct (Me and my friends love JML:))
    Dance Nation TV
    Buzmusik
    Clubland TV
    B4U Music
    Some more kids channels (Nickelodeon etc.)
    ESC and JESC TV (even though they don't exist yet)

What I don't want
    Sports channels
    Adult channels
    Channels that are only on air for two hours (eg Community and OVC Beauty)
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be a thread called - what channels do you want off freeview in 2013?
  • poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    What I'd like to be added and isn't totally out of the realms of possibility:

Channel 5 HD
    Home
    CBS Drama
    CNN
    TCM/MGM

What I'd like to be dropped (none of which will happen):

ITV1+1
    Channel 4+1
    Channel 5+1
    ITV2+1
    E4+1
    Community
    All shopping channels
    All sex channels

ITV1+1 was one of the best ideas ever!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't want
    Channels that are only on air for two hours (eg Community and OVC Beauty)

They don't do any harm, they just fill in the gaps when other channels are off the air. It's better to have something than nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    > What channels do you want on Freeview in 2013?

I get Freeview Lite, so I'd like to be rid of ITV+1 and C4+1 and get a couple of the others that everyone else gets as a matter of course.

Freeview Lite is a bit of a joke, really. There are 3 copies of 2 channels for a total of 6 channels showing the same thing (ITV1/Channel 4 SD (= 2) +HD versions (= 2) + the +1 versions (= 2) (for a total = 6).

We supposedly get 18 channels, but 6 are dupes. 4 are part-time (BBC3/CBBC & BBC4/CBeebies)

In other words there are really only 12 channels (+ 1 parliamentary propaganda channel).

I'd take 5USA/5* and Film4 in place of the +1s.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eston Bleu wrote: »

I get Freeview Lite, so I'd like to be rid of ITV+1 and C4+1 and get a couple of the others that everyone else gets as a matter of course.

Freeview Lite is a bit of a joke, really. There are 3 copies of 2 channels for a total of 6 channels showing the same thing (ITV1/Channel 4 SD (= 2) +HD versions (= 2) + the +1 versions (= 2) (for a total = 6).

We supposedly get 18 channels, but 6 are dupes. 4 are part-time (BBC3/CBBC & BBC4/CBeebies)

In other words there are really only 12 channels (+ 1 parliamentary propaganda channel).

Not going to happen though! The ITV1 +1 and C4 +1 need to be on the mux they are on
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I’d like to see Channel 5 be available in better quality SD. This would take more bandwidth. To help accomplish this ITV+1 could go to the same mux as the HD channels but at a reduced bandwidth to bring it down to SD.
    The rest of the spare space on the current HD mux could then go to C4+1 leaving the old C4+1 space for film4.

I guess it’s out of the question because a number of financial arrangements until DVB-T starts to be phased out.
    IMO it is easy to understand why you would think that. The 4 group have now introduced 4seven on freeview full. 4seven only contains repeats. This implies that they do not agree with you.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How's about 'citv classic'....
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought CITV already included a number of oldish repeats.

What could the content of citv classic include to enhance what citv already includes?
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    I thought CITV already included a number of oldish repeats.

What could the content of citv classic include to enhance what citv already includes?

A retro nostalgia channel show kids tv from the 70's & 80's would be a draw for kids & adults alike.
  • davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Id like to see, the following channels, on freeview

Horror channel
    Alibi
    Gold
    heart and/or capital

Channels I would like removed are

ITV + 1
    CHANNEL 4 +1
    5 +1
    E4 +1

These are not needed waist of money for the broadcasters and take up valuable space either for more channels or increase in quality.

I have said before and ill say it again because space is limited on freeview there should be a limit on shopping channels and booby channels.

9 channel brands of shopping - internet and satellite should be the home for these or limit them to 2 channels

boob channels no need for them u don't see much anyway so whats the point,

Like everything in the UK its all about who has the most money, no consideration for the programming is made just the money for the slots,

Also i think that the BBC and channel 4 both state owned/controlled one way or another - how many channels do they need considering they have no money! so called.

The fact is that we only get what they want us to get just like press tv being removed from satellite - all the channels we have in this country toe the line shall we say....
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An HD version of BBC1 Scotland. Would also like CBS Action or CBS Drama.
    I also dont want to see anymore shopping type channels as we now have more than enough.

Darren
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like Freeview to be our UK wide public TV system.
    I mean all of the UK getting all muxes at good power level and to have 6 muxes more to the services, this would give a lower cost to bidding for a slot, so channels like CBS Horror, CBS Action, CBS Drama and other would find space cheaper.

The EPG listing to be changed, so we have space to put spare hours that are sold by ITV, CH5 and others are able to be put in the place were there should be... SO shopping, betting are not on lower numbers of EPG.

All internet EPG channels to be on air to all and working, so we have no EPG slots filled but not being used.

+1 channels to be put together on the EPG, so there is space for live channels close together and the listing data on our screen easy to look at.

All pay to view channels to be paced together too and away from lower numbers, BT Vision, Top up TV channels are away from free TV channels.

Text services to be better from all channels, giving data about when new seasons are coming and other data.

Radio channels should go from our TV platform as it has it's own system of DAB and I feel it's not green to have a TV or TV & Box on for a sound only service, the space should be given to TV or text services.

TV companies on freeview should be made to take away the DOG / Channel name off our screens as we all know what channels we are on and if not people can info button or look on channel listing, as we pay for HD wide screen TV's to get better view of our shows we like to see, not a messy corner.... channels show there Idents at adverts breaks and at start of shows, so the DOG has go now.

EPG data to be made better on each show on all channels, so we know when it was last shown and date made, wide screen made or not, which type of HD 720 or higher, sound type and on film which one is showing ( cut for day time, evening, night showing )

To be able swap BBC One HD with the BBC One SD on EPG and same with all HD SD channels.

P.S. I know none of this will come to Freeview.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    davetech wrote: »

ITV + 1
    CHANNEL 4 +1
    5 +1
    E4 +1

These are not needed waist of money for the broadcasters

They make alot of money for the broadcasters, its why ITV, Channel4, Channel5, Sky, CBS, Sony and so many more, have +1 channels.
    I agree totally they waste space on DTT and agreed they should be banned from DTT but they make more money than sense and money speaks louder than sense in TV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theoretically we could get 8 nationwide muxes if the spectrum was organised better. Well only 1 extra as one would be local
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theoretically we could get 8 nationwide muxes if the spectrum was organised better. Well only 1 extra as one would be local

Probably more with SFNs but that would mean scrapping the existing transmitter network and building one more suited to SFNs. Unfortunately, rebuilding the transmitter network would be very expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davetech wrote: »

ITV + 1
    CHANNEL 4 +1
    5 +1
    E4 +1

These are not needed waist of money for the broadcasters and take up valuable space either for more channels or increase in quality.

If you think about it logically, they don't waste money for the broadcaster. There is no additional cost involved in making programmes for the channel, they simply repeat the main channel.

As they bring in extra viewers who missed the original showing, they increase the audience reach for the programmes. Advertisers pay more for reaching more people, so these channels bring in cash for the broadcaster for very little outlay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Add: Film4 HD, Eden HD or an HD channel that shows some 3D content.

Lose : 5 USA / CSI channel, shopping channels and all the orange tatooed circus freaks on channels 170-200 !!
    If I want to talk to sluts I'll go down the docks thanks!

Use any bandwidth freed up from dropping that crap to increase the quality/bitrate of the HD channels.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,026
    Forum Member
    A full time Movie channel will be good
  • Cymon HCymon H Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greyowl wrote: »
    Add: Film4 HD, Eden HD or an HD channel that shows some 3D content.

Lose : 5 USA / CSI channel, shopping channels and all the orange tatooed circus freaks on channels 170-200 !!
    If I want to talk to sluts I'll go down the docks thanks!

Use any bandwidth freed up from dropping that crap to increase the quality/bitrate of the HD channels.

Your not a lover of 5 USA then ! Blimey if you are ditching channels these would not be top of my list.I would like to see another full-time Movie channel myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    Probably more with SFNs but that would mean scrapping the existing transmitter network and building one more suited to SFNs. Unfortunately, rebuilding the transmitter network would be very expensive.

But it would cut costs in the long term and make the whole network simpler.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see:

Syfy
    Watch
    National Geographic

Something better to replace the shopping channels. I still don't know exactly what kind of purpose they serve on Freeview.