Is 2 litres of milk per day too much?

LyotoLyoto Posts: 67
Forum Member
I have been having 2 litres of whole milk a day recently, is that too much for an adult?

Comments

• Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a lot of calories
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bit much if you are a cow.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weird question perhaps.. but are you on any meds? I started drinking about that much since I took certain meds.

That might be a bit niche. It just rang my bell.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    It's a lot of calories

Not if it's skimmed milk.

ETA - But it isn't skimmed, just read the OP again, it's whole :o - Isn't the first, and won't be the last time i make myself look a prat on DS :(
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Do you drink water?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be worried about the sheer amount of lactose.

Something like 60% of humans are lactose intolerant, we aren't really supposed to drink cows milk. We can get away with it and feel perfectly fine in small quantities but it's not something that should be guzzled by the litre, I think it's quite bad for the guts.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too much for what?

I've seen drinking loads of milk recommended for 'hard gainers' or ectomorphs when on a weight training programme. Easy calories to help them gain weight and a decent amount of protein.

Going the other way I've heard of people who needed to consume nothing but milk prior to being operated on to have a gastric band fitted, and they tend to lose loads of weight before the op as a result.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it foreign milk?
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyoto wrote: »
    I have been having 2 litres of whole milk a day recently, is that too much for an adult?
    It certainly is!

I have about quarter a litre a day and that includes milk on my Bran Flakes for brekkie as well as milk in my 5 cups of tea throughout the day.

Do you drink it in one go :eek:
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you're trying to bulk up, then I would say its excessive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »

Going the other way I've heard of people who needed to consume nothing but milk prior to being operated on to have a gastric band fitted, and they tend to lose loads of weight before the op as a result.

100ml whole milk contains about 65 calories so 2 litres would contain 1300, which is a lot! In nutritional terms, it's quite a lot of sugar (90g) and saturated fat (46g). Really, whether it's too much depends on what else you are eating and drinking throughout the day.

The quote above refers to the "milk diet" which is used for people who are very obese and need to lose weight quickly. They are told to drink 3-4 pints of semi-skimmed milk a day and not to eat anything else. They are also told to take vitamin supplements.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably is a bit much.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyoto wrote: »
    Too much for what? Since it's whole milk the fat content might be a bit questionable. Switch to semi-skimmed. I did and I wouldn't go back now. Don't bother with skimmed because that tastes like water but semi-skilled is fine.

There are a lot of calories even in skimmed milk but if you're burning it off then I don't see a problem. It's a good food to eat unless you're lactose intolerant and at two litres a day you'd know by now if you were :)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was on the liquid diet, I drank 2 litres of semi-skimmed milk a day, every day, for about 3 months. I loved it.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it gold label? If you're going to drink milk make sure you do it properly.

A glass of gold label milk and blue fillet steak for breakfast hmmmm licky lips :)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love milk but wouldn't drink as much as that. I read an article recently that milk is not a natural food for adult humans and in the majority of cases, it isn't digested and just passes straight through offering very little in nutrition. Cant find it to quote though, maybe someone else can!
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Milk and most other dairy products - especially if taken in quantity - are one of several foods to avoid and which can greatly contribute to gall problems that may appear sometime in latter life,
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The quote above refers to the "milk diet" which is used for people who are very obese and need to lose weight quickly. They are told to drink 3-4 pints of semi-skimmed milk a day and not to eat anything else. They are also told to take vitamin supplements.

It's 4 pints a day, 1 litre of water, a multi-vitamin supplement, an oxo cube for salt intake and a sugar free jelly and that's it.

I remember it well - I would have been quite happy to stay on it permanently but apparently after 3 months, it starts to cause kidney damage.