Options

5ive worst boyband of 90's?

musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
Forum Member
✭✭
So according to Nick Lachey of 98 Degrees 5ive were the worst boyband from the 90's.

Is he right?
I think only looking at boybands who were commercially successful as obviously there are millions of boybands who weren't and who could have that title. 90's boybands of international success would be:

Take That, Backstreet Boys, N Sync, 98 Degrees, 5ive, Boyzone, Hanson, 3T, New Kids on the Block (2 studio albums in 90's), Boyz II Men, East 17.

I haven't included A1/Westlife as both first released in 1999 so are they really 90's?

For me it would have to be 98 Degrees because they defined 90's boyband cheese with sickly love ballads.
Closely followed by Boyzone, I like their personalities and some of their songs but again ballads and covers and they came across dull musically and about 20 years older than what their ages were at the time.

Comments

• Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weren't Five from 99 aswell with Westlife & A1?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They released first in 1997 and split 2001 so majority 90's
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,994
    Forum Member
    If they were on the list, they would be second behind 98 Degrees. Personally I think 5ive were one of the best. Boyzone, Hanson and 3T would all be in front of them too.

Five just had really catchy pop songs that still sound good today, IMO. I find it completely odd that he would even remember who they are though. It's put Abz on TMZ so it's helping them out a little at least
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised Nick Lachey even knew about 5ive. Were 5ive popular as I thought they were just UK while 98 Degrees were popular in America and a bit in the UK (maybe elsewhere too, but I don't know)
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Quite possibly the worst 'band' from the worst genre of music. Boyzone would give them a hard fight though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Nick Lachey even knew about 5ive. Were 5ive popular as I thought they were just UK while 98 Degrees were popular in America and a bit in the UK (maybe elsewhere too, but I don't know)

They were both on the UK Smash Hits Tour 1997 and apparently didn't get on. 5ive did have 1 top 10 hit in America 'When the lights go out' in 1998.

5ive however have sold over double what 98 Degrees have (5 sold - 20 million - 98 sold 10 million) so it could be jealously. Most of 98 degrees records were sold in the US that's how they racked up their sales count but overseas not so much.

98 degrees flopped major in the UK.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northern Line get my vote
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Good lord no.

There was really nothing wrong with 5ive as boybands go. Their songs were actually quite tuneful - 'When The Lights Go Out', 'Got The Feeling', 'Keep On Movin' I could happily hum still today.

If you're looking for complete and utter shite, look no further than 'EYC'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gutHZiEY0e4

My God. There are no words. :cry:
  • Options
    beast1982beast1982 Posts: 5,350
    Forum Member
    Good lord no.

There was really nothing wrong with 5ive as boybands go. Their songs were actually quite tuneful - 'When The Lights Go Out', 'Got The Feeling', 'Keep On Movin' I could happily hum still today.

If you're looking for complete and utter shite, look no further than 'EYC'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gutHZiEY0e4

My God. There are no words. :cry:

I loved EYC:blush:
  • Options
    Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought 5ive were always one of the better boybands
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about E-Male :D
  • Options
    spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damage for me

P.S. I am sure originally Five were called FIVE and their album was called 5ive? Has their name officially become 5ive now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Lachey is the one to talk. Looks like that Newlyweds royalties are not coming anymore, huh? Let alone his "music" from the group or his laughable solo career. Like musicjukebox123 said, pure jealousy. Five was much more well known internationally than 98 Degrees was. Plus, Jeff Timmons was better from that group! :D:D

Five was one of the best groups in the 90s and they had plenty of catchy and memorable songs. 98 Degrees on the other hand, well, I can only remember The Hardest Things from them and that was a shit song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    beast1982 wrote: »
    I loved EYC:blush:

There's always one... :D
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So did I. Boybands are not and never have been my thing but I remember they did some quite catchy pop songs and most of them could actually sing.

There have been many bands far, far worse than Five imo
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too. Their songs were entertaining and energetic. As far as boyband stuff goes, they were ok. I can't say the same about 98 degrees.
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a group called Worlds Apart who were so shite, I can't even recall any of their songs.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5ive were one of the better boy bands. There's probably loads of crap boy bands but because there were so many at the time noone remembers them.
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the worst 90's boyband by far was East 17. I absolutely couldn't stand their awful music and image. Horrendous! I've never even heard of 98 Degrees!