Bens return, my advice to producers must be noted!

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As I predicted, Ben will be back with a third new head. It is very important this time to cast the right actor and moreover have a structural long term plan for the way they want him to be and develop. I hope they cast someone who looks completely different from the other two as this would signal a real change for the better. He is an interesting and dynamic character, so the right casting is key!

Comments

• garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    What valueable advice.
  • Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    As I predicted, Ben will be back with a third new head. It is very important this time to cast the right actor and moreover have a structural long term plan for the way they want him to be and develop. I hope they cast someone who looks completely different from the other two as this would signal a real change for the better. He is an interesting and dynamic character, so the right casting is key!

BIB I think he should at least resemble the last Ben to be realistic. I agree that they need to get it right. The last Lucy Beale was a terrible casting in my opinion. I think the Nu Ben should be heavier set than the last Ben having been in prison with a gym for two years but the glasses should remain. I also think they should keep him gay / bisexual which DTC is likely to do. I'm looking forward to him.
  • radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cuddly_Cat wrote: »
    BIB I think he should at least resemble the last Ben to be realistic. I agree that they need to get it right. The last Lucy Beale was a terrible casting in my opinion. I think the Nu Ben should be heavier set than the last Ben having been in prison with a gym for two years but the glasses should remain. I also think they should keep him gay / bisexual which DTC is likely to do. I'm looking forward to him.
    Correct, it would be ridiculous if he became straight. But I do think a different looking actor would signal a real change to viewers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    What valueable advice.
    Thank you, I hope the producers read these forums.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

That wouldn't work...no ones going to buy into the idea that Ben had plastic surgery while he was in prison. I'm sure they can find a young actor that has the 'look' of Ben.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably won't cast someone completely different looking but the last Ben had a very odd, distinctive look about him which I doubt they'll try to emulate again. Ben was Kathy's son, and she was a good looking woman, so it's not like it would be completely ridiculous if they went for a better looking actor this time. And I think they will, for the obvious reason of bringing him closer to Johnny's standard. They'll cast someone taller and bigger than the last Ben, and more mainstream looking. They could keep the glasses and hearing aid but I doubt they really need to. There are ways to explain why he wouldn't be wearing them anymore. I think the different direction they talked about in the DS article will be along the lines of him being much more self-confident this time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    That wouldn't work...no ones going to buy into the idea that Ben had plastic surgery while he was in prison. I'm sure they can find a young actor that has the 'look' of Ben.
    Soaps cast different looking actors all the time, especially in ee, Lucy, peter, both with brand new good looking heads!
  • Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the most important aspect in the casting is the dynamic between Ben and Jay. They need to get that right for it to work.

They were pretty close for 2 people who aren't properly related as brothers, Jay was the older one who seemed to be the dominant person in their relationship. Ben was jealous of Jay and Phil's relationship yet he also respected that Jay looked out for him when nobody else did.

So if they cast an older, physically stronger character then it won't work between Jay and Ben anymore because Jay hasn't physically developed much since he was 15/16. He is taller but has a slight frame so him being the dominant one in their relationship won't work if new Ben has more going for him.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're clearly going to get a catalogue model in. He'll be shafting the other gay one within a week.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice to producers must be noted!

ROFL! :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the most important aspect in the casting is the dynamic between Ben and Jay. They need to get that right for it to work.

They were pretty close for 2 people who aren't properly related as brothers, Jay was the older one who seemed to be the dominant person in their relationship. Ben was jealous of Jay and Phil's relationship yet he also respected that Jay looked out for him when nobody else did.

So if they cast an older, physically stronger character then it won't work between Jay and Ben anymore because Jay hasn't physically developed much since he was 15/16. He is taller but has a slight frame so him being the dominant one in their relationship won't work if new Ben has more going for him.

Why would Jay continue to be the dominant one in the relationship? Ben has been in jail where he has had ample opportunity to toughen up. He may well come back into it with tons of self-confidence and much more at ease with himself and who he is, which fits in with this "new direction" we're meant to see.

I don't think he's going to be the same snivelling and bullied kid he was. If so, they've wasted the opportunity to expand his character because if he comes back the same, he'll have the same sort of storylines and the same sort of issues again. This time he may even be a physical match for Phil which would be really interesting to see.
    Forum Member
    Soaps cast different looking actors all the time, especially in ee, Lucy, peter, both with brand new good looking heads!

Lucy was a complete flop, not only was she far taller and extremely thin, but she was nothing like the previous Lucy...I think that's why they killed her off, the viewers just didn't see her as Lucy and it made TPTB look stupid.

Ben Hardy does have the look of Peter, and his personality hasn't changed a lot, no more than you'd expect in a lad in his late teens.

I can see where you're coming from, and accept the earlier poster's point that he was Kathy's son, but Ben was always more Phil's son in the looks dept.

I'm sure they'll go all out to get it right...after all, he's a Mitchell:)
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    They probably won't cast someone completely different looking but the last Ben had a very odd, distinctive look about him which I doubt they'll try to emulate again. Ben was Kathy's son, and she was a good looking woman, so it's not like it would be completely ridiculous if they went for a better looking actor this time. And I think they will, for the obvious reason of bringing him closer to Johnny's standard. They'll cast someone taller and bigger than the last Ben, and more mainstream looking. They could keep the glasses and hearing aid but I doubt they really need to. There are ways to explain why he wouldn't be wearing them anymore. I think the different direction they talked about in the DS article will be along the lines of him being much more self-confident this time.

Did the first Ben need a hearing aid?
  • Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would Jay continue to be the dominant one in the relationship? Ben has been in jail where he has had ample opportunity to toughen up. He may well come back into it with tons of self-confidence and much more at ease with himself and who he is, which fits in with this "new direction" we're meant to see.

I don't think he's going to be the same snivelling and bullied kid he was. If so, they've wasted the opportunity to expand his character because if he comes back the same, he'll have the same sort of storylines and the same sort of issues again. This time he may even be a physical match for Phil which would be really interesting to see.

So you don't think it will look odd that the kid that Jay dominated in the gym who literally couldn't throw a punch comes back and is suddenly this all mighty powerful lad and will now turn the tables in the Mitchell household?

Maybe 4-5 years in prison and the character coming back when he's early to mid 20's but you have to remember he is still only 18 years of age. People don't physically get that big that quick. He simply cannot be bigger, either taller or physically built than Jay, because it wouldn't be realistic at all.

Not saying they can't give him a personality transplant but to make him some kind of macho guy in the mould of Phil or Grant would be totally transforming the history of seeing this character develop as a child who was into tap dancing and musicals!!!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lmao, acting as though producers can't do their job.

:D:D:D
  • Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Did the first Ben need a hearing aid?

Yes, his childhood meningitis permanently affected his sight & hearing.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean someone you find fanciable then.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your advice has been been noted, OP! I've just relayed your message to DTC himself! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you don't think it will look odd that the kid that Jay dominated in the gym who literally couldn't throw a punch comes back and is suddenly this all mighty powerful lad and will now turn the tables in the Mitchell household?

Maybe 4-5 years in prison and the character coming back when he's early to mid 20's but you have to remember he is still only 18 years of age. People don't physically get that big that quick. He simply cannot be bigger, either taller or physically built than Jay, because it wouldn't be realistic at all.

Not saying they can't give him a personality transplant but to make him some kind of macho guy in the mould of Phil or Grant would be totally transforming the history of seeing this character develop as a child who was into tap dancing and musicals!!!

People can and do have growth spurts between the ages of 16-18. I wouldn't think it was unrealistic in the slightest, to be honest, if Ben came back bigger than the frankly emaciated looking Jay. I used to teach in a secondary school and still occasionally bump into ex-pupils, and the amount that some of them, particularly the boys, have grown in two years is a bit frightening! :D A lot of boys nowadays look like fully grown men by the time they reach 18.
    Forum Member
    People can and do have growth spurts between the ages of 16-18. I wouldn't think it was unrealistic in the slightest, to be honest, if Ben came back bigger than the frankly emaciated looking Jay. I used to teach in a secondary school and still occasionally bump into ex-pupils, and the amount that some of them, particularly the boys, have grown in two years is a bit frightening! :D A lot of boys nowadays look like fully grown men by the time they reach 18.

I wouldn't find it unbelievable if he was bigger than Jay now. My son was small and slight, smaller than all his friends, and then it seemed overnight he was six foot tall and we were all peering up his nostrils.:)
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advice noted and declined :)
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adamski94 wrote: »
    So he aged 5 years inside :/

It's what prison does to you.
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member