https://twitter.com/chiellini/status/483671807380443136
  • Options
    NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Chiellini has accepted the 'apology':

"It's all forgotten. I hope FIFA will reduce your suspension."

Chiellini has behaved with a good deal more sense than Suarez since the incident. Suarez' appeal repeats some of the principle reasons for the length of the ban - absence of contrition, failure to acknowledge intent (the other main reason is the repetitive character of the offense, i.e., third time) Suarez, in my view, has been appallingly advised and his friends have behaved liked toadies. No one has gained from this mess; it is not as though FIFA is stemming an outbreak of biting on the pitch.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was always going to be playing in Spain next season in my opinion.

Awaits "I don't want to leave:cry::cry:, but sadly it is best for Liverpool and the other players that I am not in England because of how the media / other fans will unfairly treat the team" statement.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is fair enough he has sent an apology finally. He does admit it was of the result of a bite and has said sorry to the player. He clearly still needs to sit out his punishment and find a way to stop biting people while on a football pitch. Actually stop biting people at all really it is just odd.

I do think a number of Uruguay management staff and political people who have commented on the action need to say sorry to FIFA and the British media . What ever they think of the ban length is fair enough but clearly they did no lie and certainly not a bunch of SOB. Well at least not in the treatment of the player.

I think it is done, he said sorry, needs to seek treatment and get on with it. I don't think their is any further need for a witch hunt on the issue. No question did he mean it etc take him at face value and move on.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    NiteOwl12 wrote: »
    Chiellini has behaved with a good deal more sense than Suarez since the incident. Suarez' appeal repeats some of the principle reasons for the length of the ban - absence of contrition, failure to acknowledge intent (the other main reason is the repetitive character of the offense, i.e., third time) Suarez, in my view, has been appallingly advised and his friends have behaved liked toadies. No one has gained from this mess; it is not as though FIFA is stemming an outbreak of biting on the pitch.
    FIFA will probably think that people will congratulate them for dealing with it quickly and hope any other criticisms of them will go away.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    FIFA will probably think that people will congratulate them for dealing with it quickly and hope any other criticisms of them will go away.

Oh, without a doubt. They (over)reacted to the furore in swift fashion because they saw an opportunity to assuage public opinion towards themselves.

Unfortunately, they were short-sighted. It's only taken their complete indifference towards Robben admitting he cheated, in addition to the other incidents in this World Cup, to remind everyone they're completely incompetent and not fit for purpose as an organisation.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    I think it is fair enough he has sent an apology finally. He does admit it was of the result of a bite and has said sorry to the player. He clearly still needs to sit out his punishment and find a way to stop biting people while on a football pitch. Actually stop biting people at all really it is just odd.

I do think a number of Uruguay management staff and political people who have commented on the action need to say sorry to FIFA and the British media . What ever they think of the ban length is fair enough but clearly they did no lie and certainly not a bunch of SOB. Well at least not in the treatment of the player.

I think it is done, he said sorry, needs to seek treatment and get on with it. I don't think their is any further need for a witch hunt on the issue. No question did he mean it etc take him at face value and move on.

Why would anyone say sorry to the British media? I can't defend Suarez for biting anyone but I absolutely agree with pretty much everything that has been said about the British media not just about this but other things too.

Many of these modern football journalists are terrible if you ask me. When Gordon Strachan was talking about no morals in football he was including them as well!
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, without a doubt. They (over)reacted to the outcry in swift fashion because they saw an opportunity to assuage public opinion towards them.

Unfortunately, they were short-sighted. It's only taken their complete indifference towards Robben admitting he cheated, in addition to the other incidents in this World Cup, to remind everyone they're completely incompetent and not fit for purpose as an organisation.

Oh absolutely. Personally I don't care about diving as I think everyone is at it, but the fact someone has admitted it and FIFA have basically shrugged their shoulders says it all. Suarez was a perfect case for them to flex their muscles. A weak organisation if you ask me.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I spent around 25 years of my life advising people in situations not dissimilar to that in which Suarez has placed himself. He has done just about everything wrong since the incident, egged on by a chorus back home seeking to score political points at Suarez' expense, all the while claiming to be on his side. To use familiar language, he found himself in a hole and everyone around him cried 'Dig, Luis, dig!' So he dug. Now he twitters.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    Awaits "I don't want to leave:cry::cry:, but sadly it is best for Liverpool and the other players that I am not in England because of how the media / other fans will unfairly treat the team" statement.

Nailed on.

And what's more, there'll be some who swallow it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chiellini has accepted the 'apology':

"It's all forgotten. I hope FIFA will reduce your suspension."

Despite certain posters almost blaming him for overreacting to the incident initially Chiellini has come across as a really decent bloke .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    scousemick wrote: »
    Despite certain posters almost blaming him for overreacting to the incident initially Chiellini has come across as a really decent bloke .
    His reaction could have gone several ways. Ivanovich seemed bewildered and didn't react much at all.
    Chiellini showed his Italian passion and tried to get to the ref.

Not sure how I would react if bitten by a fellow human.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    His reaction could have gone several ways. Ivanovich seemed bewildered and didn't react much at all.

Oh, I know exactly how I would have reacted if it happened to me in my place of work; after a few seconds to take in what happened, it would involve a lot of effing and blinding, hands round collar and throat and people holding me back. I doubt I would throw any punches, I'm pretty useless at that ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not proud of it but I suspect I'd react with aggression and find myself facing a lengthy ban.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A salsa partner some time ago used to bite me quite a bit ... I can't remember what I did to cause it or indeed afterwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not proud of it but I suspect I'd react with aggression and find myself facing a lengthy ban.
    You mean if on the football pitch?
    It would be a double blow knowing that whoever bit you did it to get you sent off for your reaction and that it worked.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

I'd probably react like Ivanovic - completely bemused as well as concerned the person is unhinged. I'd also get tested for hepatitis ASAP.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which is almost certainly what Suarez was going for. Same with Ivanovic, same with Evra.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So suarez now admits to biting chiellini. About time. I really hope his ban isn't reduced and has a Liverpool fan it kills me say but I genuinely believe this will be good for him. After he's not played for 4 months. It make him realise what he did. He loves football so it will be hard not playing but if it its reduced then he'll think its not a problem which is the wrong message to send.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    So suarez now admits to biting chiellini. About time. I really hope his ban isn't reduced and has a Liverpool fan it kills me say but I genuinely believe this will be good for him. After he's not played for 4 months. It make him realise what he did. He loves football so it will be hard not playing but if it its reduced then he'll think its not a problem which is the wrong message to send.
    Unless he takes up that Kosovo offer ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless he takes up that Kosovo offer ;)

Since he's still a Liverpool player. Wouldn't he need their permission?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    So suarez now admits to biting chiellini.

No he doesn't! He apologises for a collision with Chiellini, during which he got bitten. Not the same thing at all :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he doesn't! He apologises for a collision with Chiellini, during which he got bitten. Not the same thing at all :)

He does realise there were tv cameras right? Every single person that saw it saw him biting him and not like he described.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Nailed on.

And what's more, there'll be some who swallow it.

Indeedy.
    We could probably write the posts now... along the lines of: 'OK Suarez did something wrong but he manned up, accepted the punishment and could have served his time out and then returned to us if it wasn't for the hateful (multiple choice section coming...) Daily Mail/ Sun winding up the Man U / Man C / Chelsea fans. The cheats.'
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly!

It is a "non apology", apology!

He has not admitted any wrong doing on his behalf!