Help me choose a new car

QuakerMattQuakerMatt Posts: 55
Forum Member
Currently have a 1.2 5 door Corsa and am looking for a new one next year. It needs to have a fairly big boot, well, at least the same as a Corsa. I'm looking to spend between £13,000 and £16,000 and want a decent spec.

I.e.

Air Con, 1.4 or 1.6, 5 door and room for 3 kids in the back.

Im also looking at getting DAB in it too.

It's mainly for family use, so bear that in mind.

Any ideas?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    What about one of the new shape Fiestas?

Although not sure if they're big enough in the back.

A Focus maybe? Or one of those new Astras? They're lovely.
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    Does it have to be new? You'll get a year old Mondeo or Focus for that or an 18 month - 2 year old Golf or Passat.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a VW Polo?
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get a lot of car on the 2 - 3 year old used car market for your budget. As the poster above says, I would be looking at perhaps an older Ford Mondeo, BMW 3-Series, Audi A4 size car if I were you.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you want more space, but keeping costs and running costs down, look at the Honda Jazz (with 1.4 engine).

Other than this you need to think about the next class up, which is the Ford Focus arena. I had a go in a 1.6 petrol Focus and it was nice - much closer to VW standard that most people would let on. But it wont hold its value. I cant say too much about how it drives as the one I took out was automatic - manual Fords of past years tended to have tricky gears and clutch (at least for me).

If you want a massive boot, try a VW Jetta - its a Golf with a boot. Vast amount of space for a car in this class. The one I had a go in handled better than many smaller warm hatches, and had the best ride quality I have ever experienced. I couldnt even feel those orange paint areas on the road. Its quite a lump of a car so not sure how the smaller engines would cope - the one I looked at was a 2.0TDI. Cant comment on the gearbox or clutch as it was an auto (dsg)......not had a go in the Golf version of the same car.

Not sure about the newer Astra's. I know a few people who have had problems in the first 2-3 years, and my older shape one had loads go wrong with it. I understand all new Astras are still built in the same plant, and I bet many of the parts are the same. Our neighbours Astra is off the road right now due to clutch problems and AirCon pump failure (this item also failed on my one - and its expensive to replace). Our works Astravan also had to go back.
  • fluffsta007fluffsta007 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    The Honda Jazz would have a Vtec engine also which is bulletproof.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything will be an improvement on a Corsa. Focus or Golf size would be ideal size your looking for and both uber reliable.

Forget the DAB radio as nobody orders them with new cars as the reception is worse than terrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Peugeot 307 1.6HDI 110BHP diesel. Obviously the new 308 do the same engine model but as this is the 110 bhp and not the usual 90, it comes with a higher spec. It will be perfect for a family and has a good sized boot. It´s all electric, sports seats that adjust in all angles, alloys, automatic wipers and lights, steering wheel controls for the stereo, fog lamps, air con glove box (for cold drinks) and it´s rather rapid. I also had the 207 model in the same engine and spec. I have never had any problems with Peugeot and before that had the 106 so am a bit of a Peugeot fan! When the seats are folded down, they are roomy cars, none of my friends could quite believe how much I fitted in when I moved house recently with the 307. Talking of the 307 and 308, they are long wheel based cars and drive like a much bigger car and glide along. I do suggest you test drive the Peugeots as I had a 308 for a week recently and am looking at changing mine to the new model. Parts and servicing costs are also reasonable. Road tax is good being 1.6 diesel too.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) New.Golf 1.4tsi.Cost about £16-£17k.

:)Used.Focus 1.6 Zetec.Year old and 10k miles.£10K.

Horses for courses really.How much spare cash you have,how secure is your job,how long you plan on keeping it for.

The Golf is the better car.But the Focus is not far behind.And at 1 year old is much,much better value for money.
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insignia. They look awesome from the back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any Skoda, Octavia is a V W anyway, Passat based with the same engine .

Don't buy new but an ex hire car, less than 6 months old with all the problems worked out and saving thousands.

I've bought many new cars but the last ones i've bought, used, with a few thousand miles on the clock have saved me thousands and still with the full warranty.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    With that budget a nearly new Lexus would be my preferred choice.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got a Nissan Qashquai, having traded in our Audi A4, and found it's got a great spec - much more on the car than the equivalent Audi and a nice ride too. Bags of room, we can get three slim (!) adults in the back. You might find a second hand 1.6 around in budget that's only a few years old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My advice is don't buy new - get a car about 9 - 12 months old that someone else has run in you'll save all that nasty vat and can take the missus and kids on a nice holiday too with the saving :)

I'd buy a skoda octavia vrs nice car with a great engine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    For something different what about the new Nissan Juke?

This site has loads of info on it; Nissan Juke Owners
    We're getting one soon, can't wait :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two pieces of advice.

1. Consider a diesel. My A3 does 56.3 mpg and £125 car tax per year.
    2. Get it from a main dealer. Slightly higher prices, but much better service, warranty and piece of mind.

Good luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=601175014

08 plate Audi A3 12k miles 1.9 TDI 5 door from Newcastle Audi.
    £14,990.

All decent cars have air con, hardly any have DAB.
  • OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy my Civic off me please!! ;)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-Honda-Civic-1-8-SE-vivid-blue-46k-plus-extras-/320616197200?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aa636ec50#ht_878wt_922 I'm getting a new Volkswagen Golf next month, plenty room, large boot, air con, DAB radio, iPod dock etc
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i forgot to say, dont buy a car on wether its got DAB fitted or not. Most dont anyway. I got the head unit on my Polo upgraded to carry the AUX input, so I can plug in my mp3 player.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy my Civic off me please!! ;)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-Honda-Civic-1-8-SE-vivid-blue-46k-plus-extras-/320616197200?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aa636ec50#ht_878wt_922 I'm getting a new Volkswagen Golf next month, plenty room, large boot, air con, DAB radio, iPod dock etc

The OP didn't say he wanted chav alloys though.:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a Mondeo, a 11 month old diesel can be had for about £15,000.

Plenty of space for three kids in back

Edit: Noticed your from Teesside, Jennings Ford have a 6 month old, 4000 miles Mondeo 2.0 diesel, high spec Titanium for £16,000

If thats too big for you , they do a brand new Focus 1.6 titanium (with DAB radio!) for £15,000.

http://www.jennings-ford.co.uk/newsales/offers/offers.aspx?cr=5
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:) Top marks for seizing a potential sales oppurtunity.:D
  • OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *paul* wrote: »
    The OP didn't say he wanted chav alloys though.:p

Tell that to Honda who make them. :rolleyes: Have you ever seen a Type R with wheel trims?
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    As has been said you can get a lot of car for your budget. A top of the range new supermini such as the Polo 1.2TSI SEL would do the job nicely or as people have said a bigger car but 18 months old such as the Focus or Golf. For something a little different how about a Mazda 3 ?