Options

Peter Powell

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Whatever happened to Pixie, I met him once and he was one of the nicest broadcasters I have ever met?

Comments

• Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Pixie, I met him once and he was one of the nicest broadcasters I have ever met?

He's doing training or suchllike...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    He's doing training or suchllike...

A shame he left radio as I would love to hear him again.
  • Options
    DaveNightingaleDaveNightingale Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Powell heads up the Talent Management section of The Formation Group.

His clients include Ant and Dec, Simon Cowell, Piers Morgan, Phillip Schofield, Holly Willoughby, Richard and Judy and many more..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shame he left radio as I would love to hear him again.

He always came across as unbearably smug on air to me....
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You must have never heard Simon Bates then. He thought he was bigger than Radio 1 and had the ego to match.
  • Options
    simon243simon243 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must have never heard Simon Bates then. He thought he was bigger than Radio 1 and had the ego to match.

As did many of the Radio 1 DJs in the 80s. It took Matthew Bannister to bring them back down to earth with a bump.

Some are still bitter 20+ years on but Peter, who never struck me as being in the same super-ego league as Read, Bates, DLT and Juste, saw an off-air business opportunity, jumped on it and has done very well. A lesson some of the others should have learned instead of still trying to live off their past celebrity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His clients include Ant and Dec, Simon Cowell, Piers Morgan, Phillip Schofield, Holly Willoughby, Richard and Judy and many more..

Smug managing Smug
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    As did many of the Radio 1 DJs in the 80s. It took Matthew Bannister to bring them back down to earth with a bump.

Some are still bitter 20+ years on but Peter, who never struck me as being in the same super-ego league as Read, Bates, DLT and Juste, saw an off-air business opportunity, jumped on it and has done very well. A lesson some of the others should have learned instead of still trying to live off their past celebrity.

I detest Bannister. He is responsible for the dross that radio 1 now is.

I'll forgive him for getting shut of DLT though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did indeed hear...and he was awful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »

He left five years before Bannister arrived. However, while I'd agree with Bates and DLT being on an ego trip, Adrian Juste struck me as being quite down to earth and his show was very amusing.
    Actually DLT has become rather pathetic and bitter. He had to understand he was getting old, his show had gone stale and he needed to move on from Radio 1, but even now he can't resist having a dig at the BBC. I reckon also he must be green with envy when he hears his former friends doing really well on Radio 2.
  • Options
    df118df118 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    OK, so just imagine Bannister hadn't "done his thing" when he did. What do you imagine Radio 1 would sound like now?
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He left five years before Bannister arrived. However, while I'd agree with Bates and DLT being on an ego trip, Adrian Juste struck me as being quite down to earth and his show was very amusing.
    Actually DLT has become rather pathetic and bitter. He had to understand he was getting old, his show had gone stale and he needed to move on from Radio 1, but even now he can't resist having a dig at the BBC. I reckon also he must be green with envy when he hears his former friends doing really well on Radio 2.
    When did DLT move to weekends on R1? I'm trying to think when it was but just can't remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    df118 wrote: »
    OK, so just imagine Bannister hadn't "done his thing" when he did. What do you imagine Radio 1 would sound like now?

Less moronic?
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll forgive him for getting shut of DLT though.
    Except that he didn't. Bannister will tell you that he has still never ever met DLT. DLT obviously resigned on air but was sacked before he got to do what was going to be his last shows. And he was sacked by Johnny Beerling who was still officially in charge at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except that he didn't. Bannister will tell you that he has still never ever met DLT. DLT obviously resigned on air but was sacked before he got to do what was going to be his last shows. And he was sacked by Johnny Beerling who was still officially in charge at the time.

OK, well either way, I'm glad he departed
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Less moronic?
    Would it be? It would have probably ended up in the commercial sector hands if changes hadn't have been made. A lot of people seem to forget the political pressure the BBC were under because of the popularity of Radio 1.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Less moronic?

I laughed out loud at this ... if you were listening to R1 when Bannister was in charge then without any shadow of a doubt you must be out of their target by now, which is probably why it sounds moronic to you!!
  • Options
    df118df118 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Less moronic?
    Utter rubbish.
    Like the poster above says, if you enjoyed R1 pre-Bannister, and I did myself, then you are obviously way too old to be in its target age range now.
    Of course you think its "moronic", its aimed at people 25 years younger than you.
  • Options
    old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And good luck to him.

There is more to life than sitting in a studio playing music and talking to yourself each day.

I found 10 years on a national regional each day was about as much as I could take.

Ed Doolan has faded away on air just like his listeners.

BBC local is radio to die to:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how you've managed to steer this thread towards BBC local radio :p
  • Options
    old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ink171 wrote: »
    I like how you've managed to steer this thread towards BBC local radio :p

OK...Elaine Page...all the old crap R2 presenters etc.

Let's dump them:D

I listened to Wogan today and love Tony Blackburn and Johnny Walker.

On this site I'm a fan of Rodney Collins and Earlb.

A decent R2 producer would be exploiting their talents.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This makes me laugh in the context of listening to Smooth Radio, where every other broadcaster of the calibre of Andy Peebles and David "Kid" Jensen and the rest have to say every hour on the hour "Smooth Radio, The Home Of Simon Bates At Breakfast". No other shows get such a big up, and I don't think the previous breakfast show host got that either.
    When I've been listening to these other DJ's/Broadcasters saying this on air, I've been wondering if they don't just a bit resent it.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    df118 wrote: »
    Utter rubbish.
    Like the poster above says, if you enjoyed R1 pre-Bannister, and I did myself, then you are obviously way too old to be in its target age range now.
    Of course you think its "moronic", its aimed at people 25 years younger than you.

Hate to agree. Just move over to Radio 2 where all us teenagers of the 1980's that listened to Radio 1 now reside! Just think of this as your new "old" Radio 1 of sorts.
  • Options
    earlbearlb Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    old pilot wrote: »
    OK...
    On this site I'm a fan of Rodney Collins and Earlb.
    A decent R2 producer would be exploiting their talents.

WOW!!! I've got a fan - Thank you old pilot.
    If I may say here, Peter Powell is a very nice guy, most polite and was a joy to work with.

Regarding R2 producers, As you know I was associated with them for the recent Luxy documentary, If they had asked me to produce it, it would have turned out a completely different programme.