Dog whining in car

turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My dog is a good traveller, she settles down on a long journey and you wonder if she's there. Fairly recently though, she's started whining if she thinks she's going to the park. It's got worse and worse to the extent that it's driving us bonkers. We don't know what to do to stop it. Anyone any tips please?

Comments

• anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you usually take her to the park in the car all I can suggest is that you either put up with it until she gets the message, which I would, or take her for a short run in the park first. The latter I know is not very convenient , that's why I would persevere.We had a male dog who started barking incessantly for that reason, I think and he gradually gave up. Drove us crackers until he did :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Where in the car is she? Can you crate and cover her? Maybe some dap spray on a blanket in the car?
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take her in the car for trips other than the park. Put her in the car I the drive, start the engine, then switch it off and take her back to the house. Put her in the car, start the engine, then take her out again. Put her in the car drive a couple of yards in front on front of the house, then go back and out her in the house. Take her in the car and don't stop for a walk at all. Take her, stop at the end of the lane, walk her a bit, then put her back in the car, drive around, stop and walk her a few minutes, then back in the car again. In short, she's most likely whining in excitement as she associates the car with going to the park. If you vary your route/ journey/ walk time/car time, she won't know what to expect, she won't know if she's getting a walk at the end or even if she's going anywhere at all, so she should stop whining in anticipation because she won't know if there's anything to anticipate.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just whining ? you are lucky we have full on manic barking from one and excited screams from the other. Only when they know where they are going though, a walk or the vet any other time they are good as gold.

I have tried going different routes but after once or twice they worked that one out LOL
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the tips.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is she getting old, ours is getting on a bit and now we notice that he can be a bit more whiney than normal and then when we pull up at wherever we are getting out (he can always tell) you get this awful, manic yelping and half barking until we let him out. I just think they get crotchety and impatient.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog loves travelling in the car - which in itself is a problem. In her old age she has developed a breathing condition and it doesn't help when she gets too excited. She starts panting and hyperventilating. :confused:
    So I started including her in the occasional car journey which was neither a treat nor a threat (ie vets :D). For example I park a couple of hundred yards from the house and after dropping off shopping, I get her in the car for that short journey.
    This has definitely improved things.
    Also - I've not tried any but you can get doggy herbals/products which are supposed to calm them. Have a look on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8/279-1437681-2551739?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=dog+calming&sprefix=dog+calm%2Caps%2C410
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take my two poms with me every weekend that we visit my parents. They are quiet all the way until we get near and then they start. Heaven forbid I drive past looking for a parking space....boy to do they let me know. :D
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours only whines on the way to the park. It seems just to be excitement! We've tried a few things but I honestly think she can't help it. We're managing it now by turning up the radio. The music seems to calm her down and we can't really hear her so well.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take her in the car for trips other than the park. Put her in the car I the drive, start the engine, then switch it off and take her back to the house. Put her in the car, start the engine, then take her out again. Put her in the car drive a couple of yards in front on front of the house, then go back and out her in the house. Take her in the car and don't stop for a walk at all. Take her, stop at the end of the lane, walk her a bit, then put her back in the car, drive around, stop and walk her a few minutes, then back in the car again. In short, she's most likely whining in excitement as she associates the car with going to the park. If you vary your route/ journey/ walk time/car time, she won't know what to expect, she won't know if she's getting a walk at the end or even if she's going anywhere at all, so she should stop whining in anticipation because she won't know if there's anything to anticipate.

This is what we're doing with Molly. I put her in the car, start it, turn it off as soon as she barks, put her in the house. Blimey it's tedious! But it's starting to work. It began because we have the odd cat coming through the cemetery road so she'd just bark to warn them which isn't entirely appropriate for where we live... ;)