The Apprentice quotes quiz

george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
Forum Member
Okay, I just came up with this idea a couple of days ago, and I thought how much fun it could be! Below are twenty quotes that I have randomly selected from across all of the series. The idea is to remember (or try to work out) who said each quote. Some are quite easy and some are more obscure, but to stop it from being too obvious, I've taken out any direct references to the names of other candidates. Try and see how well you can do without re-watching them!

This was a lot of work for me to put together and took about three days, so I really hope it's worthwhile and everyone enjoys it!

1. 'It's important not just to buy any old stuff to go in a shop because we need to sell it, and it needs to be something that's going to be desirable for buyers. So we've been selective.'
2. 'It's just not big enough, I think they're skimping on what's going inside. Mark my words, mark my words, there'll be complaints today.'
3. 'I definitely have got a lot of entrepreneurial ideas. Regularly my ideas just appear in my mind from absolutely nowhere. It's important to have a good lateral mind for a lot of businesses. It's the old phrase of 'thinking outside the box'. That's important, and I can do that quite often and I enjoy doing that. Whether or not I win? That's up to Sir Alan, isn't it?'
4. 'I think they appreciate that our product is unique, but I don't think they liked the taste, and I can probably sympathise with them there because it tastes absolutely dreadful. But we're going to just have to, you know, try and be confident in it.'
5. 'The point is as Project Manager I've done a very good job, okay? And all the team have agreed.'
6. 'I think [Candidate] should be fired. At the end of the day he just lost the plot.'
7. 'I think it inspires you coming to a house like this, just to think that one day I could own something like this.'
8. 'For me, making money is better than sex. It's that rush, it's that pump of adrenaline. I absolutely thrive on it.'
9. 'I don't want to be like my mum in the future, simply because she had aspirations as a young girl yet she didn't reach them. No matter what life throws at me, I'm going to make sure that I'm going to achieve my goals.'
10. 'I think Lord Sugar is looking for somebody who is not only at the top of their game, but somebody who has got so much potential, and I think what he's going to find in my business plan is something which is going to pretty much guarantee a return on his investment. Everything that I've done in my career, in fact my life to date, is resting on this final.'
11. 'I'm feeling pretty gutted at the moment, especially since I am so confident in my own sales ability. I can't believe that's what's sent me home.'
12. 'I put myself forward because my business idea is focussed around designing and manufacturing garments, so I'm feeling really confident.'
13. 'The - I think it's the… It's definitely got the SP something. I think it's Spytex, or - no, I can't remember it offhand. I can't.'
14. 'I think that after hearing the results of the market research I was convinced to go with a multi-gender thing, but then [Candidate] made the great point that, you know, this really does have to sell to these people that we're pitching to, therefore it has to be unique, and after hearing that I really was convinced that we had to stick with our guns so I did so as Project Manager, and I think that it was the right decision.'
15. 'Today's really, really, really stressful, and with [Candidate 1] and [Candidate 2] arguing the whole time, I was trying to break up their fights. We've only got about two and a half hours left until we actually need to be back in central London, so… yeah, we just need to go go go now.'
16. 'A dress is never worth three hundred quid. Recycled clothing? It's just… ugh. Isn't that what tramps do? I'm not convinced it's the way forward actually.'
17. '[Candidate] made a decision to send us to the souks, and it's just been a bit of a disaster, to be honest, and I don't know how much sense [Candidate] is talking really. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if we got another phone call now telling us to go elsewhere. If we do, I'm ignoring it.'
18. '[Candidate 1] did a very bad job of defending himself. I was very surprised that he's still in the house. You know, at one point I just didn't know who was going to go. I thought it would be [Candidate 2] or [Candidate 1].'
19. 'At school, I got eight A*s, two A's. No one intimidates me because I know I am better than them.'
20. 'It's the final hurdle now, and it's every man for himself. It's written all over everyone's face. Everyone's here for themselves now.'

Good luck, and have fun! I wonder if anyone will get all twenty?

Comments

• TXF0429TXF0429 Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From just looking at the first few,
    #2 is Lorraine on the Catering Task in Series 5
    And I think #5 is
    Vincent after losing EveryDog task.
    #8 is famously
    Ben Clarke at the start of Series 5
    And I think #9 is
    Emma Walker at the start of Junior Apprentice
    #11 is
    Laura Hogg after getting fired in Series 8
    #13 is
    Michael Sophocles whilst bombing out on the Supercar task in Series 4
    #16 is
    Stuart Baggs, I think during the Series 6 fashion task
    #17 must be
    Leah Totton in Dubai
    #19 is
    Max Grodecki from Young Apprentice Series 3, I think

#18 is really annoying me, because I know I've heard it before, but I just can't picture it atm. I've put them in spoiler tags so others can guess them and I'll have another go tomorrow when I'm less tired!
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    You're right on all of them, except #19. Have another think!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remembered #18!

It's
    Syed Ahmed after surviving the Week 8 boardroom, he says Tuan defended himself extremely poorly and he wasn't sure whether Tuan or Sharon would get fired.

Hmm... Not totally sure on #19, but is it
    Jason Leech? This one is just a total guess, I'll admit.

EDIT: And is #10
    Ricky Martin just before interviews in the Series 8 final?
    Forum Member
    Right on two of them, but still wrong on #19, I'm afraid! I think that both those people are really good guesses, but neither of them said exactly that.

On a different note, I'm very impressed at how quickly you got #5. I think that's one of the most difficult ones, as there is really no way of working it out. I couldn't have got that one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a different note, I'm very impressed at how quickly you got #5. I think that's one of the most difficult ones, as there is really no way of working it out. I couldn't have got that one.
    I know Series 7 pretty well and I remember Vincent being really defensive in the Loser's Cafe incident about his management. If it had been any other series, I don't think I'd have got it, but as its Series 7, I was confident in knowing it. :)

Argh, not sure on #19; I'll have to reconsider overnight!
    Forum Member
    TXF0429 wrote: »
    I know Series 7 pretty well and I remember Vincent being really defensive in the Loser's Cafe incident about his management. If it had been any other series, I don't think I'd have got it, but as its Series 7, I was confident in knowing it. :)

Argh, not sure on #19; I'll have to reconsider overnight!

Haha, hopefully someone will get it! Glad you're enjoying the game. I wonder how long it will take for all of them to be solved?

I'm going to bed now, will have to wait until tomorrow to confirm anything for anyone!
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to try it one at a time. So #1...
    Is it Susan Ma? I think it's a quote from the hipster shop episode
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    The only one I can add is #3 is
    Matthew Palmer at the start of Series 1

And is #12...
    Natalie Panayi in Week 3 of Series 9?? Not sure on this one...
    I don't know any of the others that TXF hasn't already guessed
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #3 I'm torn between two candidates, but I'll go for
    Michael Sophocles?
    Forum Member
    Hownwbrowncow has got both of them right, and lightdragon has got both of them wrong (although one of them Hown had already answered correctly...)

As a group, you currently have 12 out of 20. Oh, this is fun, isn't it? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I think #4 is
    Luisa Zissman on the Ready Meals task in Series 9

Its a complete guess, but is #1
    Stephen Brady on the Junk Shop task in Series 8?

Some of them are really hard - #6 and #7 could be from anywhere! #14 is bugging the hell out of me, because I'm convinced I know it!
    Forum Member
    Ah, you're actually wrong about #4!

#1 is partially right - you've got the right episode, but the wrong person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, you're actually wrong about #4!

#1 is partially right - you've got the right episode, but the wrong person.

Of course, #1 must be
    Tom Gearing on the Junk Shop task

Hmm, that's surprising about #4 - I'll have another think!
    Forum Member
    You now have #1 correct. Only seven left to go!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lool I'm useless at it.

Then again I'd probably have a hard time identifying pictures of them all. :D
    Forum Member
    Lool I'm useless at it.

Then again I'd probably have a hard time identifying pictures of them all. :D

Bad luck! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad luck! :(

Hey hey, thanks for the quiz though. Although I may not have got them, it did remind me of candidates/ great tasks and make me want to go back and watch them all again. :)
    Forum Member
    Hey hey, thanks for the quiz though. Although I may not have got them, it did remind me of candidates/ great tasks and make me want to go back and watch them all again. :)

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'd do more of these, but they are so much work to put together. This literally took me about three days to compile, and even that is because I'm off Uni for a couple of weeks because of Easter.

All of the quotes were selected completely at random, as was the order I've listed them in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without looking at anyone else's answers...
    1. 'It's important not just to buy any old stuff to go in a shop because we need to sell it, and it needs to be something that's going to be desirable for buyers. So we've been selective.'
    I feel like this was Tom Gearing as PM?

3. 'I definitely have got a lot of entrepreneurial ideas. Regularly my ideas just appear in my mind from absolutely nowhere. It's important to have a good lateral mind for a lot of businesses. It's the old phrase of 'thinking outside the box'. That's important, and I can do that quite often and I enjoy doing that. Whether or not I win? That's up to Sir Alan, isn't it?'
    Early series! A little posh, not especially savage. Ben Leary?

4. 'I think they appreciate that our product is unique, but I don't think they liked the taste, and I can probably sympathise with them there because it tastes absolutely dreadful. But we're going to just have to, you know, try and be confident in it.'
    Is that Yasmina, with Coco Electric?

5. 'The point is as Project Manager I've done a very good job, okay? And all the team have agreed.'
    Errr... I seem to remember there was someone who was really pushing the good PM angle when they'd been a bit rubbish.

7. 'I think it inspires you coming to a house like this, just to think that one day I could own something like this.'
    Debra?

8. 'For me, making money is better than sex. It's that rush, it's that pump of adrenaline. I absolutely thrive on it.'
    Ben! Can't remember his bloody surname - not Leary, not Stanberry...

10. 'I think Lord Sugar is looking for somebody who is not only at the top of their game, but somebody who has got so much potential, and I think what he's going to find in my business plan is something which is going to pretty much guarantee a return on his investment. Everything that I've done in my career, in fact my life to date, is resting on this final.'
    Business plan narrows it down to thirteen candidates. Or the Young Apprentices, I suppose? Naw, I'm going to say Jordan Poulton.

12. 'I put myself forward because my business idea is focussed around designing and manufacturing garments, so I'm feeling really confident.'
    Must be Patrick McDowell of Wetsuit Kimono!

13. 'The - I think it's the… It's definitely got the SP something. I think it's Spytex, or - no, I can't remember it offhand. I can't.'
    Zoe or Susan Ma, I think. Zoe!

15. 'Today's really, really, really stressful, and with [Candidate 1] and [Candidate 2] arguing the whole time, I was trying to break up their fights. We've only got about two and a half hours left until we actually need to be back in central London, so… yeah, we just need to go go go now.'
    Joanna?

16. 'A dress is never worth three hundred quid. Recycled clothing? It's just… ugh. Isn't that what tramps do? I'm not convinced it's the way forward actually.'
    I feel like this was Chris - series 6, Chris not Christopher. Not Farrell. Can't get surnames today! Arrrrggh!

17. '[Candidate] made a decision to send us to the souks, and it's just been a bit of a disaster, to be honest, and I don't know how much sense [Candidate] is talking really. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if we got another phone call now telling us to go elsewhere. If we do, I'm ignoring it.'
    Dubai, S9, think they're talking about Myles. Can't remember who was even in his team! Francesca?

Christ! That's hard. A lot that could've basically been anyone.
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    Without looking at anyone else's answers...
    I feel like this was Tom Gearing as PM?

Early series! A little posh, not especially savage. Ben Leary?

Is that Yasmina, with Coco Electric?

Errr... I seem to remember there was someone who was really pushing the good PM angle when they'd been a bit rubbish.

Debra?

Ben! Can't remember his bloody surname - not Leary, not Stanberry...

Business plan narrows it down to thirteen candidates. Or the Young Apprentices, I suppose? Naw, I'm going to say Jordan Poulton.

Must be Patrick McDowell of Wetsuit Kimono!

Zoe or Susan Ma, I think. Zoe!

Joanna?

I feel like this was Chris - series 6, Chris not Christopher. Not Farrell. Can't get surnames today! Arrrrggh!

Dubai, S9, think they're talking about Myles. Can't remember who was even in his team! Francesca?

Christ! That's hard. A lot that could've basically been anyone.

You have a few right, but only ones that have already been got. You could do with taking a look through some of the other answers!
  • Oxygen78Oxygen78 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Nice quiz George!
    So for the ones left to guess:

Like TXF above, I thought this was Luisa in the ready meal task.
    Certainly sounds like a 'food production and pitch' task though.
    Is it Melody on the biscuit making task in Series 7? They had a good product idea but the taste wasn't good (IIRC)

Sounds like they are talking about a final but then they talk about 'everyone else'. So I'm thinking interview stage. Maybe Jamie in Series 6 interviews?
    Also, are the quotes all from different candidates or is it possible that some are from the same person?
    Just so I know whether I can discount people already said.
    Forum Member
    Oxygen78 wrote: »
    Nice quiz George!
    So for the ones left to guess:

Like TXF above, I thought this was Luisa in the ready meal task.
    Certainly sounds like a 'food production and pitch' task though.
    Is it Melody on the biscuit making task in Series 7? They had a good product idea but the taste wasn't good (IIRC)

Sounds like they are talking about a final but then they talk about 'everyone else'. So I'm thinking interview stage. Maybe Jamie in Series 6 interviews?
    Also, are the quotes all from different candidates or is it possible that some are from the same person?
    Just so I know whether I can discount people already said.

Neither of these are right, I'm afraid!

In answer to your question, there is no rule to say that there can't be more than one quote from the same person. Which isn't to say that there is. I chose all of these quotes at random, using a random number generator, so it honestly is all down to chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is #4
    Neil Clough in the Ready Meals task in Series 9?

The quote just fits so well with that episode!
    Forum Member
    Is #4

It's not! Interesting that that one is proving so difficult... it will be interesting to see if anyone gets it.
  • Oxygen78Oxygen78 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Is #4

That quote really does fit in to that episode. Only name left for that could be
    Francesca? Not convinced though as she was in charge of the food and wouldn't admit to it being bad.

If not, sticking with my biscuit task idea, maybe Zoe who was PM?