Options

Are you allowed to camp in the Scottish Highlands?

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am thinking of getting away for the weekend and going camping in the highlands. Is this allowed? It seems everywhere is restricted these days, so I'm just curious on any restrictions in the highlands. Also, where would be the best location for camping out?

Comments

• Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    What area though? It is massive. Most of the Highlands are pretty deserted. No one will bother you unless you are on their land and causing bother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    What area though? It is massive. Most of the Highlands are pretty deserted. No one will bother you unless you are on their land and causing bother.

I have no idea. I think maybe the cairngorms national park.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    The "National Park" bit is surely enough to tell you there will be rules.

The magic of Google tells me;

http://cairngorms.co.uk/park-authority/outdoor/faqs#Q10
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watch out for the Wolves and the large cats that roam around. They have young at this time of year so will be pretty defensive and aggressive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    Just watch out for the Wolves and the large cats that roam around. They have young at this time of year so will be pretty defensive and aggressive.

Pretty sure there are no wolves or large cats in the highlands any more.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can OP - providing you abide by the Scottish Outdoor Access code, it's a wonderful experience

http://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/activities/walking/wild-camping

I have done this myself - explored the most Northerly coast & pitched up in a different location each night - we even camped in woodlands by a river and built a raft. Great fun.

Here's a few tips from a beginner which might be useful

http://www.wildernessscotland.com/blog/wild-camping-in-scotland/

Have a fab time :)
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting away for the weekend and going camping in the highlands. Is this allowed? It seems everywhere is restricted these days, so I'm just curious on any restrictions in the highlands. Also, where would be the best location for camping out?
    Scotland is undoubtedly the least restrictive of all when it comes to 'wild camping'.

A weekend? :confused:

You won't see much at all in that time! Pitch tent, have a beer, cook breakfast, grab a take-away in evening and the following day you are looking at packing up and preparing to come back home!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure there are no wolves or large cats in the highlands any more.

You seriously believe there are no large cats in the Highlands? Honestly? Wow. Ok I was pulling your leg about the wolves but we definitely have large cats in Scotland.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Alan Carr was chased out of Edinburgh.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Well Alan Carr was chased out of Edinburgh.
    Wild camping to the extreme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Scotland is undoubtedly the least restrictive of all when it comes to 'wild camping'.

A weekend? :confused:

You won't see much at all in that time! Pitch tent, have a beer, cook breakfast, grab a take-away in evening and the following day you are looking at packing up and preparing to come back home!

Pretty much. I used to do it all the time.

Use some common sense though. For example camping in the middle of a grouse moor in the middle of August might be a bad idea.
  • Options
    rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once across the border, "wild camping" is allowed and this includes things like parking up a caravan or campervan in a layby, which is either illegal or highly frowned upon throughout England.
    There are also many splendid campsites throughout Scotland as well, so for those who do not wish to "rough it" can have the luxury extras of showers, electric etc.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't try to camp out just anywhere in the Queen Elizabeth Park - i.e. Loch Lomond area. Its strictly limited to official sites there.

Only one plea: Please take your rubbish home with you or dispose of it sensibly. (Which is why camping in Loch Lomond is so restricted - a few untidy people spoiled it for everyone)
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Main thing - although maybe a couple of weeks early - take a midgie net and don't wear T shirts or shorts in the evening
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Main thing - although maybe a couple of weeks early - take a midgie net and don't wear T shirts or shorts in the evening

Theres a skin moisturiser from Avon that works a treat keeping the midgies at bay, loads of forestry commission workers use it.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Uffa wrote: »

...and the werewolves.
  • Options
    bigtunesbigtunes Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and the werewolves.

Wild Haggis are the worst. Violent little blighters. Even the werewolves run from them.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Theres a skin moisturiser from Avon that works a treat keeping the midgies at bay, loads of forestry commission workers use it.
    It only works for some people. Midges laugh in the face of DEET. The only thing more vicious than the Scottish midge is the wild haggis (the farmed ones are OK as long as you don't tease them).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there really big cats in the highlands? I searched online after people mentioned it on here and it seems to have some credence to it. People on forums talking about lots of sightings of large black cats.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Go to Aviemore, that place is great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there really big cats in the highlands? I searched online after people mentioned it on here and it seems to have some credence to it. People on forums talking about lots of sightings of large black cats.

There have been various sightings in Fife too. To be honest although there has been reports of them killing and eating animals, sheep and deer, there have been no reports of them attacking humans.

Go to Aviemore, that place is great

Last time we were there we thought it was a real dive compared to how it was. Sorry anyone on here from Aviemore.
  • Options
    SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »

Avon Skin So Soft. Buy it before you go, It's really inflated in price up north, a few shops keep it in stock for people who are desperate.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigtunes wrote: »
    Wild Haggis are the worst. Violent little blighters. Even the werewolves run from them.

And dont forget the Kelpies!! My Scot friend refused point blank to swim in the lochs as the kelpies would get her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    And dont forget the Kelpies!! My Scot friend refused point blank to swim in the lochs as the kelpies would get her.

Oh yes forgot about them. It is years since I have seen Kelpies but they are quite cute even although they are a bit iffy.
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,517
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Don't try to camp out just anywhere in the Queen Elizabeth Park - i.e. Loch Lomond area. Its strictly limited to official sites there.

Only one plea: Please take your rubbish home with you or dispose of it sensibly. (Which is why camping in Loch Lomond is so restricted - a few untidy people spoiled it for everyone)

There are places in Loch Lomond you can wild camp. East Loch Lomond has the restrictions