Options

Samsung Steel - Opinions?

wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
Forum Member
✭✭
Had a call from Vodafone offering a Samsung Steel on an 18 month contract with 500 X/Net mins and 100 texts a month for £15 a month.

Sounds like a good deal!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am tempted to go for this phone too but on the 200 min/unlimited texts for £15 a month. Downside is a 24 month contract.

Looking at reviews of the phone, seems quite positive although battery life is rather poor. Quidco offer £90 cashback on new Vodafone contracts too.

Good to see you back btw;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see you back btw;)

Cheers - everyone needs a wee holiday from time to time!

The only think that bothers me about the length of the contracts is the lifespan of the handset. They seem to be good for about 12 months or so nowadays. Not like the good old days with the 3310!!

Vodafone are offering me the deal on 18 months with a guaranteed upgrade after 15 months. They wont let you PAC a number in though after they have set up the account so I will have to wait until my present contract expires. Seems a bit daft really as they could have clinched the deal on the phone yesterday if they had let me PAC my number in later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheers - everyone needs a wee holiday from time to time!

The only think that bothers me about the length of the contracts is the lifespan of the handset. They seem to be good for about 12 months or so nowadays. Not like the good old days with the 3310!!

Vodafone are offering me the deal on 18 months with a guaranteed upgrade after 15 months. They wont let you PAC a number in though after they have set up the account so I will have to wait until my present contract expires. Seems a bit daft really as they could have clinched the deal on the phone yesterday if they had let me PAC my number in later.

Like you, I am currently with 3 but am happy enough with them. I am away on holiday next week but on my return will try to get them to give me a decent phone on a 12 month contract for £10 a month. I agree with what you say about lifespans of phones, my current handset is 18 months old and looks awful now but still seems to work ok.

The £90 cashback would take the Voda monthly rate to an equivelant of about £11 per month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am definately not staying with 3 because I am sick to death of the number of times I have to redial when calls drop for no reason. Even when stationary its full signal one second then nothing the next and before anyone mentions the handset it happens with more than one I own!

Having had Vodafone previously I know that in the areas where I use my phone their network is almost 100% reliable.

Its amazing that after almost 6 years 3 still drops calls like crazy and every time I pass Plantation on the way to the Kingston Bridge (the busiest route through Glasgow) if I am on a call it drops!! Almost always right next to the old Co-Op hypermarket.

I cant see 3 lasting much longer and expect Hutchison to offload it to T-Mobile if they can get a decent price. I doubt that they will as 3 are banging out £9 a month contracts and 6 month ones too. Still I suppose if that is all the market allows them that tells its own sad story.

Very tempted to get a Steel. Off to the Vodafone store to have a look today :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    . I doubt that they will as 3 are banging out £9 a month contracts and 6 month ones too

Unless it's changed, I read on the forum that it is not strictly a 6 month contract. The devil is in the detail of the small print and it is a 12 month contract you sign up to. Just can't remember how it worked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless it's changed, I read on the forum that it is not strictly a 6 month contract. The devil is in the detail of the small print and it is a 12 month contract you sign up to. Just can't remember how it worked.

No small print. Just huge big letters saying UK's only 6 month contract.

"Contract Length
    This tariff is a 6 month minimum term contract."

http://threestore.three.co.uk/handsets.aspx?tariffid=865&mixnmatch=1&id=1201
  • Options
    Beagle2Beagle2 Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am tempted to go for this phone too but on the 200 min/unlimited texts for £15 a month. Downside is a 24 month contract.

I'm looking at that too ont heir website. It says "Start 2009 saving", and it's advertised as 25% off. Will that be true for the whole 24 months, do you think?
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Phone, But A Couple Of Minor Problems Irritating Me:

Where Is The Apostrophe In Text Mode?
    I Can't Seem To Get Rid Of The Icons And "vodafone Uk" Logo Onthe Screen.
    The First Part Of The Ringtone Is Very Faint.

Can Anyone Help?