Options

Your views on all day drinkers?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually end up pissing and/or shítting myself and normally end the evening with a fight and a trip to A&E. So like you big Lez, I also now limit myself to just twice a week. You can have too much of a good thing you know.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I have had a few all day sessions but like others its been a special occasion such as a meeting up with old friends and a lunch that turns into the afternoon then dinner etc etc . But I cannot go and just have a drink at lunchtime, if I do I want to go to sleep, so its either keep drinking or abstain until the evening, and its usually the evening if I go for a drink.

That was pretty much the same as me when I was younger - me and my then husband would go for a 'swift half' at lunchtime with his parents, and I'd be slumped on the table fast asleep if I stopped at the one half of lager. :D It seriously went straight to my knees and eyelids. So yes, it was either carry on drinking for the day, until my body clock realised it was its real drinking time, or don't do it at all. Nowadays though, I get terrible hangovers even with one glass of wine or a couple of lagers, so an all-dayer isn't really doable.

Lez Brian, even though you say you pace your drinking, it sounds a bit like you're on the verge of binge drinking. Only my opinion, of course, but I think it's a reality that after a while we get used to the amounts we drink for the effect we want, so we end up drinking more.

As for what I think of all-day drinkers: live and let live, as long as they don't inflict booze-crazed tantrums/etc on others.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason, I absolutely hate daytime drinking these days.

A few years ago, if one of my friends had a birthday, they'd arrange daytime drinking sessions that would end by mid-evening, because as we approached our late 20s, more and more of us had various childcare commitments.

I just found that people drank too much, too quickly, and it often led to arguments, particularly as the group drifted apart as we got older. As for me, I found that the session would be over by about 8pm, I'd be home, and would want to go out and party, or carry on drinking, but just didn't have the company, so would end up feeling very down.

I also used to work in a large pub, and well recall the sad people who would be there at 10am on the dot every morning as we opened, and would generally disappear by late afternoon. They had really miserable lives in my view.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My views on it? Not sure I really have any. Do whatever you want.

Has a longish session myself a few weeks back. Manchester City v Manchester United was on and decided I wanted to have a drink for the first time in about 3 months while watching. Got 2 litres of cider in for the match. Went out for another bottle after the match had finished and then for another when that had gone. That's about 10-11 pints and it took 7 or 8 hours to drink it. I quite enjoyed myself even though my team lost. The next day I felt a bit tired, wouldn't want to do it regularly but each to their own.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every weekend for me. I'm a slave like everyone else through the week. No kids to worry about and no responsibilities. I enjoy it, and don't really care what anyone else thinks. Unlikely to change anytime soon. In fact, I'm in the middle of such a session now. Very happy! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    they hang around the bus station, all pished and shouting..asking us waiting for the bus for a ciggy or a light..See pishheads looking on the floor for sig butts and even putting hands in the bins for the stubs..dirty sods..ban em all..all roaming out of the pubs and roaming round the streets, sitting on the walls etc, nothing to do but drink all day..:(
  • Options
    highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    I don't drink all day, like to get up and brush my teeth, maybe eat a nice bit of wholegrain cereal and some fruit, then I can smash into a few cans before work.

Can of strongbow I'm a mess, desperately clutching onto a leaflet on depression, supplied to me by the NHS.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Ah an all dayer, those were the days!

These days if I have a pint during the day I'll be at home asleep within a couple of hours.

Even a night out is usually over by 8.

It happened overnight in my mid 30s, just went out one weekend and found that I had completely lost the ability to handle the drink. Been the same ever since.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think I could handle a Leo Sayer nowadays, but kudos to those who can.manage it!!
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    op are you drinking all day on weekdays or weekends? how does that fit in with work?

To be fair I know a couple of proper alcoholics and they both work.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of my fondest memories are random Saturdays when I was at university, when we just 'fancied a pint' and it just developed into an all dayer.

Drinking all day and into the night, putting the world to rights. The teasing and taking the piss out of each other as the beer flowed.

We were young, having fun, and our only worry was the next exam.

Fast forward 20 years, I can still manage a 'Leo Sayer' (mid 90's parlance) but my mid 40's bladder can't cope with pints anymore.

Once I 'break the seal' that's it, I'm off to the loo every round:blush: