Into The Woods (Musical Starring Meryl Streep)

Comments

• Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks awful and the songs I have heard sound dreary and unforgettable

Oh ok! lol
  • TaintedmeatTaintedmeat Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminded me of the music from Sweeney Todd. This will flop
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt it will flop
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it will flop too.
    Especially as it has the xmas day slot in the US, plus Meryl streep rarely ever has a flop film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cast is too good for it to flop, it's also a very popular musical in the states.

Oddly enough, a pattern I've noticed is that musicals do very well in the cinema (Mamma Mia, Les Mis, Jersey boys) then a few months after their release people decide they don't like them :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    The cast is too good for it to flop, it's also a very popular musical in the states.

Oddly enough, a pattern I've noticed is that musicals do very well in the cinema (Mamma Mia, Les Mis, Jersey boys) then a few months after their release people decide they don't like them :D

I agree. It's rare you hear of a really big flop musical.

and if they underperform in the cinema, they normally do very well on DVD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

WTF ??? Both are Sondheim and that's it, the music is amazing and very emotional at times, the play is both funny and tragic, if musicals aren't your thing I agree you will probably hate it but then why suggest it will flop based on your own tastes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15 million made based on two days of release so far
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    15 million made based on two days of release so far

No, 15 million for one day only.

It has now grossed over 27 million (for the 2 christmas days) and is currently fighting with Unbroken for the 2nd spot at the weekend box office (behind the hobbit).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to really be keen to know how much a film I wanted to see was grossing and doing well but the truth is, I've seen films that have supposedly taken the world by storm and thought were boring. Yet the more underlooked ones I class as favorites, I think it's all down to what I personally enjoy now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, 15 million for one day only.

It has now grossed over 27 million (for the 2 christmas days) and is currently fighting with Unbroken for the 2nd spot at the weekend box office (behind the hobbit).

Oh wow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    I used to really be keen to know how much a film I wanted to see was grossing and doing well but the truth is, I've seen films that have supposedly taken the world by storm and thought were boring. Yet the more underlooked ones I class as favorites, I think it's all down to what I personally enjoy now

Never let how much a film grosses to determine what you see. 98 per cent of the films that earn like 100-300 million are films that never interest me anyway. I don't like big blockbuster films. I like films with good acting and great stories. Not films with fancy special effects, big stunts and tons of action. Because they normally have a naff plot and actors who are more than likely cast for their looks then their acting abilities.
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Interesting that they made it more family friendly, as a lot of stuff I've read suggests that the wolf (Johnny Depp) is still incredibly dodgy... The words "rapey" and "pedo" seem to be coming up a lot on Twitter! :o

I am not familiar with the original musical so no idea what was cut out, but can now see why they decided to re-cast the Little Red Riding Hood role (originally it was Sophia Grace, of The Ellen Show fame, cast in the role - she's about 9 years old!!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it's disney, it was always going to be the case of it being changed to keep to their usual family audience. Although i wouldn't take my god children to see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    Interesting that they made it more family friendly, as a lot of stuff I've read suggests that the wolf (Johnny Depp) is still incredibly dodgy... The words "rapey" and "pedo" seem to be coming up a lot on Twitter! :o

I am not familiar with the original musical so no idea what was cut out, but can now see why they decided to re-cast the Little Red Riding Hood role (originally it was Sophia Grace, of The Ellen Show fame, cast in the role - she's about 9 years old!!)

There's been speculation regarding the wolf and RRH relationship even from the original musical, I think the overall thing just seems weird but there's nothing in it (I hope!).

I think it does highlight one thing though, how dodgy fairytales really can be if you think about it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a disappointing film

Toned down because of disney
    Rather poor casting. James Corden and Emily Blunt are poor. Meryl and Johnny give panto performances. Anna Kendrick and the actors who play Red Riding Hood and Jack are the true stars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it today. 7/10. It was okay but has some flaws I think.

Emily Blunt was the best thing about this imo. Meryl close second. Anna Kendrick began to...in plain english f*ck me off. Her face irritates me and I know that is petty :D

James Corden is no singer, but there were parts he was okay in.

I loved 'Last Midnight' though.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw this tonight...Emily Blunt was the standout for me!...although i did think it was a great film. few loose ends in it that werent tied up or if they were I missed it. wont say what for spoiling it for those who haven't seen it.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw this tonight...Emily Blunt was the standout for me!...although i did think it was a great film. few loose ends in it that werent tied up or if they were I missed it. wont say what for spoiling it for those who haven't seen it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder where it fared in the UK
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's OK.

Emily Blunt was fantastic, as was Chris Pine.

It did feel very 'filtered' and very much a film of two halves, kept thinking it would end...and it didn't.

Story was a bit naff, but it did look gorgeous.
  • uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it yesterday. I enjoyed it but thought it was possibly a bit long.

Most memorable bit was Chris Pine's song on the river with the other Prince. Although I'm not sure if it was actually meant to be so cheesy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    uzzybuzzy wrote: »
    Watched it yesterday. I enjoyed it but thought it was possibly a bit long.

Most memorable bit was Chris Pine's song on the river with the other Prince. Although I'm not sure if it was actually meant to be so cheesy.

It was only 2 hours which is pretty much average for any film these days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    It was too long, and the last 20 minutes was utter toilet.

Emily Blunt was the best thing in it.
  • Toffee_AppleToffee_Apple Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it. I did much prefer the first half to the second half but both were good. Emily Blunt, Meryl Streep and Chris Pine were all excellent in my opinion.