Controversial music opinions.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Nope. I should also have said anything Phil Spector has ever done is also rubbish.

Really ? Rubbish ? :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Lady Gaga that much......

I'm a fan of Scouting For Girls :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been going since the mid 1980's since the days of Rites of Spring and Minor Threat, so just more than the "past few years".

Emo as in DC post hardcore such as ROS etc and what has been reffered to as emo in the last ten years are almost entierly different things that just happen to share a common name, I would argue.

What (I assume) the previous poster was reffering to as "emo" i.e. 14 year olds listening to Fall Out Boy and having questionable haircuts almost certainly is a passing fad.

:p
  • PeteJBPeteJB Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regina Spektor is better than every mainstream female in the charts atm.

Aaliyah would now be known as the greatest female RnB singer ever had she not died and continued to release music :(
  • nhodkin147nhodkin147 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Jackson was s**t.

Lady Gaga is overrated tripe. I could pull better music out of my backside. :D

The radio station Galaxy is for chavvy council-estate types.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClickNegg wrote: »
    Oh come on.

Daphne & Celeste?

I think they were awesome :o

Still sing U.G.L.Y. everyday whilst Ooh Stick You! was such a great tune :)
  • PeteJBPeteJB Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    I think they were awesome :o

Still sing U.G.L.Y. everyday whilst Ooh Stick You! was such a great tune :)

AGREED!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Diana Vickers sounds like she's singing own a tube and can't finish a note properly.

Just because the Beatles were influential doesn't mean they were that good... the first airplanes were influential, it doesn't mean they weren't rubbish.

Most modern music sounds very similar
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dubstep is mostly quite annoying and only exists cuz there's usually sod all decent drugs to go raving with these days. :p:D

Pendulum's synths sound like they were made on a crappy VST factory setting 'distorted lead 1'

Dillinja basically broke drum'n'bass a bit with 'Twist 'Em Out' although he can be forgiven as he's a proper legend.

Wormhole by Ed Rush & Optical (1998?) is still basically the heaviest dancefloor D'n'B LP ever released.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    Dubstep is mostly quite annoying and only exists cuz there's usually sod all decent drugs to go raving with these days. :p:D

I don't understand how dubstep makes up for that?
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shuddup Your Face was more fun than Vienna so the actual no 1 out of these was quite good news.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Nope. I should also have said anything Phil Spector has ever done is also rubbish.

I'll credit Spector with being genuinely innovative and coming up with many production techniques that would later be influence the production of a lot of music I *do* enjoy.

But that said, I'm not a big fan of the Wall of Sound itself. It aimed to cover every part of the sound spectrum, to sound loud, big and in-your-face... and it did.

And that's possibly why I don't like it too much- it's just like being bombasted(?!) with sound on every level they could get it to you with no gaps (hence the name, I guess).

Possibly I'm spoiled by later techniques that got "punch" into the music by more sophisticated means, possibly I'm not listening to it in its original intended context of AM radio, possibly it's just that it's now almost 50 years old (though it wasn't that old in the 80s and I thought it sounded dated then).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Phil Spectors wall of sound is wonderful, marvelous mono is the way to fully appreciate what he was trying to do. Only Joe Meek got near or bettered the sound. In fact some of Joe Meeks techniques such as rolling back the bathroom floor coveing , sticking one leg in the bath & then banging the floorboard with the other foot to get a uniquley sounding beat is fantastic.

Stax 's studio was a converted cinema & the slight delay due to the taper of the cinema layout is what helps to give it its sound , like Motown with always having the drummer parked at the front so as to get more 'beat' . Mono is a just a fantastic medium. The sheer primitive way that these pioneers where doing things just hasnt been bettered , even when you get to Kraftewerk, the ananlogue synths produce a rich & warm sound thats sadly lacking from the fuly digital era.

Simplicity is the key , listen to how wonderful the Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings records sound uisng the old ampex / ananlogue machinery. All that pratting about Ronson was doing trying to recreate digitaly when the way to do it is analogue.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Lady gaga is rubbish

Anyone who thinks instrumental music is boring is a moron

Michael Jackson was overrated

All of this pop/R&B stuff in the charts is terrible

Metal is not a lot of screamy trashy noise, try symphonic metal for melodic and epic music.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ben_122 wrote: »
    I don't understand how dubstep makes up for that?

Because the music and dance scenes are intrinsically related to how and in what way it's audience is f*cked up, you get lots of methy/speedy drugs, you end up with gabber, you have lots of serotonergenic loved up drugs you end up with euphoric trancey sounds, you have a plethora od dissociatives you end up with more psy-trancey sounding music. Dance music follows a scene at a phenomenal rate.

It's not the only reason behind a scene but it would be ignorant to think that it had no bearing on the musical direction of dance music.

It was a toungue in cheek observation anyway. ;)
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    I'll credit Spector with being genuinely innovative and coming up with many production techniques that would later be influence the production of a lot of music I *do* enjoy.

But that said, I'm not a big fan of the Wall of Sound itself. It aimed to cover every part of the sound spectrum, to sound loud, big and in-your-face... and it did.

And that's possibly why I don't like it too much- it's just like being bombasted(?!) with sound on every level they could get it to you with no gaps (hence the name, I guess).

Possibly I'm spoiled by later techniques that got "punch" into the music by more sophisticated means, possibly I'm not listening to it in its original intended context of AM radio, possibly it's just that it's now almost 50 years old (though it wasn't that old in the 80s and I thought it sounded dated then).

Yeah, you know what? I was being deliberately obtuse. Spector had a good thing going back in the heyday but I think that style of music very much defined an era and that's really what I don't like. It's too connected with a byegone age now and it all sounds really dated. In fact, it's quite difficult to think of many artists from the 60s who still sound fresh today and that includes the giants like the Beatles.

I still stand by my comment about girl groups, but that's just my opinion, of course. Can't stand them.

Oh, and while we're still on the "controversial opinions" thread I think Pink Floyd were 1000% better after they kicked Barrett out the band.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lost-boy wrote: »
    Here's one to offend the majority of people who use this.

The Saturdays sound like s**t in its purest form.

Good day.

not me!!

I fail to understand their popularity!:rolleyes:

Elvis was a pretty boy who did what he was told by music business people. Frankly they couldve picked any one of a number of pretty boys who could sing, dance and look good and made him into "Elvis".

The new McFly song is the best thing they've done, I dont get the hate from their so called "fans".

Florence sounds like a banshee calling ships onto rocks and I fail to see whats so great about her.

Lady Gaga's songs are pretty tame and like the OP I think the image is all...

Chrsitina Aguillera is a great singer but unless she pulls something amazing out of the hat her careers a gonner now!

Britney is just fluffy. Only really famous for her looks and going nuts in a v public way. Just intrinsically not talented...I dont rate her much above Paris Hilton. Pink is 100% more talented than she is although shes not a great singer...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    boy pop groups are all same as for the girls
  • BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rolling Stones albums Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed and Sticky fingers are terrible
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    A few of my 'controversial' music opinions... great idea for a thread btw! :)

*Comparing Coldplay to bands like U2 and Radiohead is an insult... to Coldplay
    *Editors are brilliant but Interpol do absolutely nothing for me
    *Kasabian are extremely overrated and have some songs/yrics that are just plain embarassing
    *Oasis would have been a much better band if they'd ditched Liam Gallagher years ago and let Noel do all the singing
    *'Parachutes' is Coldplay's weakest album by far
    *Stereophonics are a band who keep improving and their last few albums have been some of their best
    *The X Factor has yet to find anyone remotely worthy of the title - and I include Leona in that statement
    *Singing high notes that make glass shatter like Mariah etc. is a pointless talent - why would anyone want to do that?
    *The White Stripes are appalling
    *The Strokes and The Libertines are not the saviours of modern 'indie' music, they're not even great musicians

That'll do for now! :D
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Smells Like Teen Spirit' is average.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    'Smells Like Teen Spirit' is average.

I thought this was Controversial Music Opinions :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of Paris Hilton's songs were actually decent
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was Controversial Music Opinions :confused:

OK I'll add a controversial element to the opinion. It's bloody average.

Also, the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine is neither 'amazing' nor some pinnacle of guitar-playing, and that perception is only due to the song having been a hit and it thus being heard more.

There was an electro version of the song a few years back by DJ someone or other (edit - it was Mylo), with a female vocal, which was frankly an improvement on the screechy noisefest original.