Heart Manchester...If only!

Comments

• dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    For my sins Mr C I WAS on radio 106 from day one reviewing the papers from my little shop in Mickleover for them.The religious show was fronted by the same person who set up the well respected Gem am Helpline and her name escapes me at the moment.She had presented a show in the same vein on Gem and if memory serves was seen in the documentary film about the troubles at the station aired by the Beeb being summoned to be told her show was being axed:D

The person who used to do the religion on GEM-AM and also Trent was called Liz Leonard who went to work for the BBC. From memory the lady on Radio 106 was called Liz Jetson (I think) but was someone else.

Slightly off topic - was your shop near The Robin pub, now an estate agent? I remember a shop there having a Radio 106 sticker - the only one I ever saw!
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    The person who used to do the religion on GEM-AM and also Trent was called Liz Leonard who went to work for the BBC. From memory the lady on Radio 106 was called Liz Jetson (I think) but was someone else.

Slightly off topic - was your shop near The Robin pub, now an estate agent? I remember a shop there having a Radio 106 sticker - the only one I ever saw!

Thanks for that. yes she WAS called Liz. wonder if she got married.I am sure she was the same person as it was mentioned on the film she had come from Gem.
    Guilty re the shop. it was called Newsrack on Devonshire drive..
    I still have my radio 106 mug in fact Im drinking my coffee from it as I type this. :D I actually listened to a recording of one of my reviews I did with John Rockly.only the other day.Dire... my only excise being I was very young at the time.:D
  • SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    105.4 HEART NORTHWEST! Fingers crossed!
    Looks like somebody might be about to get giddy with excitement...
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    That's a cyptic message, just say that Global might be buying out Real if that's what you mean, however it seems unlikely doesn't it?
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like somebody might be about to get giddy with excitement...

Haha really hope they go with Globals offer! Well it's the biggest offer on the table! :)
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Although you'd think it should be a sad thing if Real goes, I've always thought it's rather cheesy and not that good, too contrived and similar at least in this area to the music on Radio City/Rock & Key, albeit playing slightly older, but it's as standard as it comes. Despite being supposedly to do with the Guardian there's nothing extra or deeper on these stations, I remember there was a documentary about Hillsborough once which was good but instead it's usually just another incredibly mundane pop station with cheesy links just like the rest so if it were to become Heart, I think Heart actually does that better and you know where you are with it. Century seemed much better than Real and I would miss that.

If they get Real at some point it could be fairly good, Real seem to be trying to run a Heart type station, we get very little else so we might as well have Heart and then with the stations in the overlap areas, what might Global do with them? If they can get Real Wales what will they do with the ex-Marcher group if they are covered by Heart NW & Wales already? Capital it doesn't seem likely? Sell off?
    Capital in the Wirral and Liverpool would still have strong competition from City.
  • chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although you'd think it should be a sad thing if Real goes, I've always thought it's rather cheesy and not that good, too contrived and similar at least in this area to the music on Radio City/Rock & Key, albeit playing slightly older, but it's as standard as it comes. Despite being supposedly to do with the Guardian there's nothing extra or deeper on these stations, I remember there was a documentary about Hillsborough once which was good but instead it's usually just another incredibly mundane pop station with cheesy links just like the rest so if it were to become Heart, I think Heart actually does that better and you know where you are with it. Century seemed much better than Real and I would miss that.

If they get Real at some point it could be fairly good, Real seem to be trying to run a Heart type station, we get very little else so we might as well have Heart and then with the stations in the overlap areas, what might Global do with them? If they can get Real Wales what will they do with the ex-Marcher group if they are covered by Heart NW & Wales already? Capital it doesn't seem likely? Sell off?
    Capital in the Wirral and Liverpool would still have strong competition from City.

I wouldn't mind if Real changed to Heart to be honest, as long as they kept Debbie Mac (used to live in Cambridgeshire, so loved her on Vibe FM) and On-Air with Ryan Seacrest, they could ditch the rest as far as I'm concerned especially that awful new breakfast show.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandleo wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if Real changed to Heart to be honest, as long as they kept Debbie Mac (used to live in Cambridgeshire, so loved her on Vibe FM) and On-Air with Ryan Seacrest
    You'd mind Real changing to Heart then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Lets hope there is no Heart Manchester.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jakey4ever wrote: »
    Lets hope there is no Heart Manchester.

Oh there will be before the year is out! Get ready for the dry sweeper.....HEART is coming!
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind if Real changed to Heart to be honest, as long as they kept Debbie Mac (used to live in Cambridgeshire, so loved her on Vibe FM) and On-Air with Ryan Seacrest, they could ditch the rest as far as I'm concerned especially that awful new breakfast show.

They won't, all current programming apart from breakfast and drive would be replaced.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they put Heart on D1, even breakfast and drive will go.

The Radio Revolution is about to begin. The day is dawning as Heart goes national. Heart Breakfast with Jamie & Harriet will come to the North.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member

The Radio Revolution is about to begin. The day is dawning as Heart goes national. Heart Breakfast with Jamie & Harriet will come to the North.

I dare say Jamie & Emma one day.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone reckon they might sell it to me for £50K if I promise to vote Labour next time?
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And the North will become as lobotomised as the South.

All quite sinister, really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    I live in Greater Manchester and am listening to Heart FM Wirral online as I speak.
    http://ukrp.musicradio.com/heart/wirral/live

Poor you!

Why on earth would we want anymore heart in the north west? If Real Radio changed to Heart we could say goodbye to all the presenters and hello to the Heart North West and Wales team.

I agree GMG has it's faults but Heart don't do anything local, even Wirral's Buzz had moved out of it's Wirral Studio years ago.
  • chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wonder if the latest incarnation of Real Radio i.e. to make it more female, 'feel good' skewed was to make the station more Heart-like and to make it attractive to a company like Global for a sale.

Just something I was wondering, sure somebody more in the know could tell me if I'm completely wrong :-)
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    Oh there will be before the year is out! Get ready for the dry sweeper.....HEART is coming!

Hit.With the greatest of respect to you ever since this thread was started all you have done is keep on about it being Manchester based .:confused:
    Then it was about it going onto FM.:rolleyes:
    As I guess you already have a computer and /or a DAB Radio you can already listen to the flaming thing.. Don't kid yourself it will be MANCHESTER based .......It wont.:D
    Its not going to sound any different to any of its sister stations.As has already been mentioned on here all it will mean is another nail in the coffin for LOCAL/REGIONAL radio.
    And sadly more talented people who care deeply about their listeners and areas being chucked on the scrap heap.:(
    I have many good friends in the industry and I for one wont be jumping up and down in glee even if you are :mad:
    The only good thing that will come out of it if God Forbid the offer is accepted and the deal goes through(And dont forget you ARE assuming they will re-brand and ditch Real...They COULD keep it as it is ) would be that ...
    Firstly It will put an end to what has become a tedious obscession you have over this .
    And Secondly when the listeners desert the sinking ship if its re branded we MAY just MAY finally get some good old fashioned local stations back again.:cool:
    Just dont get too complacent and think on it as a done deal ...Remember it was GWR getting too big for their boots that created the whole scenario we are looking at now.and remember what happened to them.:eek:
    Global came a calling...whos to say theres not someone else in the wings? There COULD be a consortium getting their proposals together as we speak.
  • nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder if the latest incarnation of Real Radio i.e. to make it more female, 'feel good' skewed was to make the station more Heart-like and to make it attractive to a company like Global for a sale.

Just something I was wondering, sure somebody more in the know could tell me if I'm completely wrong :-)

Global are interested in the transmitters and licences, not any of the other assets of Real, they'll throw most of the existing stuff out and roll out their highly successful formulas and branding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only good thing that will come out of it if God Forbid the offer is accepted and the deal goes through(And dont forget you ARE assuming they will re-brand and ditch Real...They COULD keep it as it is )

Chances of them keeping the Real brand are just about 0%.
    It under-performs, doesn't have any brand values, a confusing music proposition, and too close in licence terms to Heart. They want the transmitters to get Heart on in the North, that's all.
    And Secondly when the listeners desert the sinking ship if its re branded we MAY just MAY finally get some good old fashioned local stations back again.:cool:

Just like they have in the rest of the country since Heart rolled out in 2009... oh wait.. they haven't.
    ...Remember it was GWR getting too big for their boots that created the whole scenario we are looking at now.and remember what happened to them.:eek:

Global runs operations at a pittance of the cost that GWR spent with local day times and around 30 different local brands/production etc. Global is a much, much leaner operation.
    Global came a calling...whos to say theres not someone else in the wings? There COULD be a consortium getting their proposals together as we speak.

That IS the plan, Global exist to create a slim, slick company that they can sell on and make a big profit from, the eventual goal is to sell it on in the next few years, they have made no secret of this. It's only going to happen when their work is done though, there's still more to do.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobjockey wrote: »
    That IS the plan, Global exist to create a slim, slick company that they can sell on and make a big profit from, the eventual goal is to sell it on in the next few years, they have made no secret of this. It's only going to happen when their work is done though, there's still more to do.
    Although many of the investors may sell on, it's possible the current management, including Ashley Tabor, may remain?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Although many of the investors may sell on, it's possible the current management, including Ashley Tabor, may remain?

That would be down to the new owners and weather Ashley wanted to remain I suppose. Global are an investment company though, designed to strip assets, improve profits and sell on.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't a done deal with Global by any means. There is a mysterious alternative bidder.

I think we can be fairly sure that GMG Radio will change hands wiithin the next week. Stuart Taylor refused to deny this.

I think the Media Week article is slightly misleading as it claims a done deal but then goes on to say that it isn't.

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/News/MostEmailed/1136449/Global-Radios-50m-swoop-GMG-Radio-done-deal/
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    This isn't a done deal with Global by any means. There is a mysterious alternative bidder.

I think we can be fairly sure that GMG Radio will change hands wiithin the next week. Stuart Taylor refused to deny this.

I think the Media Week article is slightly misleading as it claims a done deal but then goes on to say that it isn't.

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/News/MostEmailed/1136449/Global-Radios-50m-swoop-GMG-Radio-done-deal/

The alternative bidder to my mind could be an interesting one - "funded by private equity" could indicate another Global ready to make other purchases to consolidate and game change the industry further.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hit.With the greatest of respect to you ever since this thread was started all you have done is keep on about it being Manchester based .:confused:
    Then it was about it going onto FM.:rolleyes:
    As I guess you already have a computer and /or a DAB Radio you can already listen to the flaming thing.. Don't kid yourself it will be MANCHESTER based .......It wont.:D
    Its not going to sound any different to any of its sister stations.As has already been mentioned on here all it will mean is another nail in the coffin for LOCAL/REGIONAL radio.
    And sadly more talented people who care deeply about their listeners and areas being chucked on the scrap heap.:(
    I have many good friends in the industry and I for one wont be jumping up and down in glee even if you are :mad:
    The only good thing that will come out of it if God Forbid the offer is accepted and the deal goes through(And dont forget you ARE assuming they will re-brand and ditch Real...They COULD keep it as it is ) would be that ...
    Firstly It will put an end to what has become a tedious obscession you have over this .
    Just dont get too complacent and think on it as a done deal ...Remember it was GWR getting too big for their boots that created the whole scenario we are looking at now.and remember what happened to them.:eek:

No all I want is for heart to be on fm in Manchester I keep saying that. I know it will, apart from b fast and drive, come from London. That doesn't bother me. I just want heart on fm in Manchester in my car etc

I think it's a pretty safe bet that heart would replace real. Heart is such a strong radio brand. Heart needs to reach northern areas of the uk to really be a uk national, advertisers will be made up im sure.