Options

Do you think Julia Roberts will get another Academy Award nomination or win?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I guess we'll have to wait and see when August: Osage County comes out. Saying that, if Julia does end up scoring an Oscar nomination my guess is she might be put in for supporting actress. There are a lot of big, baity leading actress roles coming up this year (including Meryl in the same film) which will mean a tough race for not only winning but also nominations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She got her 4th Academy Award nomination for August Osage County.

Must say Julia hasn't been this great in a movie in years.
  • Options
    Craig83maCraig83ma Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    So, yes she has received another Oscar nomination and has also been nominated for golden globes, bafta and sag awards for this movie! She has also won 2 other film awards as best supporting actress already.
    People saying she is over.... She certainly isn't! She chose to be away from the spotlight to concentrate on being a mother until she was ready to return. Eat pray love made over 200 million, mirror mirror made over 100 million. Pretty decent numbers! And she's still the most successful actress of all time in terms of box office returns. What more is there for her to achieve?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not. She's never been a good actress. Almost all her performances are variations of two templates she's used throughout her career: Feisty or Pouty.
  • Options
    Jaden_RileyJaden_Riley Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I hope not. She's never been a good actress. Almost all her performances are variations of two templates she's used throughout her career: Feisty or Pouty.

lol

nah not buying that...you can say overrated but saying ''she has never been a good actress'' is a loud of bull lol and sparks of hate/jealousy.

You can't be as sucuessful as her in Hollywood, an Oscar winner and be a bad actress. Lucky, not as good as people think...Yeah...but not ''bad''.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    lol

nah not buying that...you can say overrated but saying ''she has never been a good actress'' is a loud of bull lol and sparks of hate/jealousy.

You can't be as sucuessful as her in Hollywood, an Oscar winner and be a bad actress. Lucky, not as good as people think...Yeah...but not ''bad''.

You seem to think that any vaguely negative rating of an artist must mean that the commenter is 'jealous'? You've said the same thing on another thread. Are you ten years old or something? :confused:
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While i disagree with Julia Roberts being a bad actress, i respect those who think she is. I wouldn't say they are jealous or just a bitter person. Actors they may like could very likely be actors i think are poor actors as well. It doesn't make me jealous. It makes me opionated. The point of forums is to share different opinions. It's just when members refuse to accept opinions is when arguments ensure.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol

What she does have in spades is charisma, a necessity in a film star. That's what Roberts is to me - a film star, not an actress. When she does try to extend her limited range, she ends up making me feel she's miscast. Obviously, not everyone agrees with me on this, and that's fine.

What I'm not fine with is this charge of "sparks of hate/jealousy". Why would I hate Roberts? I don't even know her. She's only an entertainer, for goodness sake. No, I reserve my hate for those that deeply irritate me. Milk cartons. Bigotry. Late trains. Copyright holders' insistence on monthly instead of the usual quarterly. Cruelty. Bad manners. Sluggish computers. Serial litigants. Bad subtitles. Gaps in pavement slabs. Our cat's tendency to claw my face as part of his morning feed-me-feed-me ritual.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol

There's a word in the English language called opinion, a word called respect, and a word called others. Go and look up their meanings.

It's entirely possible in my opinion for someone to be an Oscar-winnet but not be a good actor - anyone who knows much at all about the film industry knows how politicised the awards season is. For what it's worth my opinion is that Julia Roberts was great in Erin Brockovich, but hasnt made a great movie before or since. Worse actors than her have won Oscars though, Gwyneth Paltrow being one that springs to mind.