Only Connect

koloisadkoloisad Posts: 47
Forum Member
Anyone watching this,

A intellectual quiz show on BBC 4 hosted by Victoria Coren, it is full of smug looking contestants who don't get out much apart from Pub Quizzes. A refreshing change from the usual shows that are on, should be given a BBC2 time slot to increase its profile,. I am loving it and Victoria is quite a dish too.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched a few episodes.

One thing that puzzles me. They do a round where they take out all the vowels in a phrase or name and move the result about a bit to make it a bit harder to guess the phrase/whatever.

Anyway when a contestant buzzes in the on screen graphic changes almost instantly to the answer, pretty much before the contestant has said the first syllable. I realise it has probably been edited in post production but surely they should wait till the contestant has said the full phrase before revealing the answer?

And some of the other rounds get a bit intellectual for one of little brain like yours truly :D

And isn't it just a tiny bit pretentious to use the Greek alphabet so much?? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Theres loads more to come, these are the repeats of series 1. Series 2 finished on BBC4 quite recently. If you like Victoria Coren you can follow her on twitter - it's quite an eye opener sometimes.

I think there's a long thread about Only Connect here on DS already. Oh yes, here it is.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent quiz - one of the very few on TV which isn't dumbed down to the level of a 7 year old.

And the lovely Victoria too. Looks, brains and a dry wit. What more could you ask for?

Us fans just hope that it is allowed to thrive of BBC4 rather than being transplanted to one of the lower numbered channels.
  • koloisadkoloisad Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Theres loads more to come, these are the repeats of series 1. Series 2 finished on BBC4 quite recently. If you like Victoria Coren you can follow her on twitter - it's quite an eye opener sometimes.

I think there's a long thread about Only Connect here on DS already. Oh yes, here it is.

Didn't realize it has been on before, Hope they repeat all of it then.
  • QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    It's actually series 3 that has just finished. I've seen a contstant call for the next series so there should be more to come.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    According to Victoria Coren's twitter, there are more in the Autumn.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    koloisad wrote: »
    Didn't realize it has been on before, Hope they repeat all of it then.

It has been an easy show to have missed. It has been quietly tucked away on BBC4 attracting a small but loyal audience.
  • davidboddavidbod Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Anyway when a contestant buzzes in the on screen graphic changes almost instantly to the answer, pretty much before the contestant has said the first syllable. I realise it has probably been edited in post production but surely they should wait till the contestant has said the full phrase before revealing the answer?

Yes, we cheat it a bit in the edit to give the viewers a bit more time to read the answer.

The Greek letters are used as neutral, scientific-like labels.

David
    OC question editor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Hi David,

Loving your work. Only came across "OC" in the third series, but very loyal fans now.

Glad both earlier series are being repeated for newcomers like us to enjoy.

Here's to many more series!
  • Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of the best quiz shows in years. It's certainly the best by far at the minute. I so hope it doesn't become diluted.

Does anyone else think it's a great show for the "pause-button age"? :o
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    This is one of the best quiz shows in years. It's certainly the best by far at the minute. I so hope it doesn't become diluted.

Does anyone else think it's a great show for the "pause-button age"? :o

Yes! Its one of those shows thats so well put together it can be watched in so many ways by almost everyone.
    Sad I know, but its good fun with friends and a glass or two. You can argue over the connections.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to have babies with Victoria Coren.
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said it on the other thread but I will repeat on this one.
    I love the show, my favourite round is the connecting wall. I also have enjoyed the walls to solve on the only only connect website.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidbod wrote: »
    The Greek letters are used as neutral, scientific-like labels.
    Actually I think they are rather quirky (in a nice way), and signal that this quiz is a bit more intelligent that your run-of-the-mill offering.

I think that numbers would be considered pretty neutral, too.

(Hmm. Having written that, I looked up "run of the mill" on Wikipedia and couldn't find a derivation. :confused:)
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I think that numbers would be considered pretty neutral, too.

(Hmm. Having written that, I looked up "run of the mill" on Wikipedia and couldn't find a derivation. :confused:)

Except that sometimes the clues are numbers, ergo confusion.

"Run of the mill" comes from the process of a waterwheel powering a mill. If there's a steady flow of water running from the stream, the mill will continue working.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I want to have babies with Victoria Coren.

:D
    I think she's pretty sexy too.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fall down on knowing my Greek letters, but get better on the actual connections...sometimes. Love the theme tune!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the show but hate the 4 minutes it takes to actually start - all that waffling. Must learn to be more patient. :(
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    I fall down on knowing my Greek letters

αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρστυφχψω

There you are. Now repeat after me... :D
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρστυφχψω

^^ This is what happens when a computer keyboard sneezes.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρστυφχψω

There you are. Now repeat after me... :D

"The squiggly one that looks like the 'double s' in German please Victoria."
    Forum Member
    I like the show but hate the 4 minutes it takes to actually start - all that waffling. Must learn to be more patient. :(

We're usually underway after 2'30" which is extremely quick by most game shows' standards.