The Mcstay Family Mystery

Comments

• FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    I was just going to post
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw this in the "Unsolved Mysteries" thread.. Really such a horrible ending, especially the boys. :(

I find it really quite strange that this popped up now, because it was only three days ago I even heard about this and then they are found.. :(
  • hazy-dayshazy-days Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, those poor children. :(

Whilst I always had a feeling there was no happy ending at least with a mystery there was a possibility they had just chosen to disappear.
  • whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Very sad news, I hope they manage to find out what happened though one day.

Honestly was not expecting this to be the conclusion to the disappearance in this case.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hazy-days wrote: »

Literally felt a shiver down my spine when I saw this post. Unbelievable. :(
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Honestly was not expecting this to be the conclusion to the disappearance in this case.

When looking back I think it was obvious with the way that the dogs were left, for a start. It just seemed too callous. Then, as happens in such cases, people get together and start to spin theories because, inevitably, facts have started to merge with fiction.
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From watching the live news conference where the bodies were confirmed to be the McStays it seems there's an amount of evidence found that will help the police in catching who did this.

I think they already have a good idea who, I think it's possible they always have but they had no proof of any crime committed up until now. They're now piecing together the why & I hope there will be an arrest(s) forthcoming.

Re the dogs, I always felt that the fact that they were left outside where they could be found quicker was an act of kindness rather than weird. We have no way of knowing how much (if any) food & water they were left with & it may have been that the McStays thought the dogs would be found & looked after much quicker than they were & left them with enough food & water for a few days.

All round this is a truly sad end to a mystery & I feel so bad for Jonah McStay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From watching the live news conference where the bodies were confirmed to be the McStays it seems there's an amount of evidence found that will help the police in catching who did this.

I think they already have a good idea who, I think it's possible they always have but they had no proof of any crime committed up until now. They're now piecing together the why & I hope there will be an arrest(s) forthcoming.

Re the dogs, I always felt that the fact that they were left outside where they could be found quicker was an act of kindness rather than weird. We have no way of knowing how much (if any) food & water they were left with & it may have been that the McStays thought the dogs would be found & looked after much quicker than they were & left them with enough food & water for a few days.

All round this is a truly sad end to a mystery & I feel so bad for Jonah McStay.
    I'm just going off the reports at the beginning which said that the dogs had been left in the backyard without food and water. Also, in an area which is said to be dangerous for pets to be left unattended outside at night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just going off the reports at the beginning which said that the dogs had been left in the backyard without food and water. Also, in an area which is said to be dangerous for pets to be left unattended outside at night.

Oh yes, I know. I wasn't criticising at all.

There's far more people that share your opinion regarding the dogs, than agree with me. :)
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member
    Do we know if it was actually them crossing the border to Mexico? I was just reading the early pages with somebody saying it was odd the way they walked towards the border in two sets of two but the thing I felt odd about it was that Summer was walking behind Joseph, I personally would have thought if they knew it to be such a dangerous place that he would insist on his wife being infront of him so he could make sure she and the son were ok.

It's almost as if Joseph didn't make it across the border and she was led towards the Mexico border with a stranger holding her sons hand to make sure she followed. Quite why I'm not sure but that the family didn't believe it was Joseph and my (probably wrong) view that he would have had his wife and youngest? Son walking ahead of him takes me to what I described earlier.

Incredibly sad ending too, only heard about the case today and get to page eight and they've been found dead, I do hope they find who is responsible
  • scousesirenscousesiren Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    If it wasn't the McStay family in that border crossing surveillance, then who was it? Surely if it was another family, they would have come forward to eliminate that line of enquiry. Odd.
  • LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Just saw the news I cant believe it :cry::cry:
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you're right there. As far as I know, they have never released the details of that last phone call Joseph made to his partner ? There also must have been more in their computer records than they've made public.
    We know they were contemplating taking the kids into Mexico, but why the last minute rush to get out ? They appear to have just dropped everything and left.
    What happened during the missing four days, if that was indeed them captured on CCTV at the border crossing ?
    Why didn't they take the car, had they made arrangements for someone to meet them ?
    To me it looks as if Joseph had become involved in something way over his head. Perhaps he thought he had found a way out, but walked straight into a trap ? If that's right, they must have fallen foul of a particularly nasty criminal outfit to kill an entire family in that way.
  • whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I really hope they do have evidence and manage to find those responsible. The families deserve that much at least, I just can't imagine why anyone had to kill the 2 little boys. We don't know the reasons behind any of it so far, only ideas which have been pretty far off in some instances already but whatever the reasons, the boys can't have done anything to deserve that.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I havent really followed this in detail but I have a couple of queries

firstly, how on earth did any attempt to deduce that it was the family on the video of the border crossing, the people are indistiguishable, you cant even tell whether its a man or woman, whether the children are boys or girls.

secondly, if this is anything to do with a drug cartel, and they owed money, why didnt they use their savings to pay what they owed, OR why didnt the drug cartel take their money after presumably killing them, or why didnt the drug cartel kidnap one member of them and demand money? It doesnt make sense to me to take the whole family and kill them in secret.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    If it wasn't the McStay family in that border crossing surveillance, then who was it? Surely if it was another family, they would have come forward to eliminate that line of enquiry. Odd.

Maybe it wasn't a family, They weren't walking together were they? Maybe the people can't recognise themselves or have not seen the footage to come forward. It wasn't the best quality
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I havent really followed this in detail but I have a couple of queries

firstly, how on earth did any attempt to deduce that it was the family on the video of the border crossing, the people are indistiguishable, you cant even tell whether its a man or woman, whether the children are boys or girls.

secondly, if this is anything to do with a drug cartel, and they owed money, why didnt they use their savings to pay what they owed, OR why didnt the drug cartel take their money after presumably killing them, or why didnt the drug cartel kidnap one member of them and demand money? It doesnt make sense to me to take the whole family and kill them in secret.
    I don't know how factual it is, but I've read somewhere that their families said right at the beginning that it wasn't them on the video. The police seemed rather willing to want to believe that it was a voluntary disappearance. A lucky break for the killer even if it was planned for the police to think that the family had crossed the border by leaving the car there. Hopefully, now that luck's ran out and evidence will be found to link someone to this crime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say, with regard to the claims about her changing her definition of her ethnicity over the years, she looks like a combination of hispanic and asian to me (not that Im an expert!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The families said it 'could' be Summer & the boys on the border video but they were adamant that it wasn't Joey. If the McStays didn't travel to Mexico that night then with the fact that they previously bought a Rosetta Stone Spanish language cd, did internet searches for children's travel documentation requirements for Mexico & that their Isuzu Trooper was found right on the border then someone tried REALLY hard to make it look like they did.

To be honest, they succeeded as well. For 3 years it's never been proved that they didn't, & it still wouldn't have been now except for a random sighting of a few bones by an off road biker who didn't even know whether they were animal bones or human when he came across them.

Whoever killed Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Jr very nearly pulled this off.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's someone very close to them responsible for this. Someone with access to their home and computer. Do the searches online and leave their car close to the border to make it look as though they had planned to go to Mexico.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The families said it 'could' be Summer & the boys on the border video but they were adamant that it wasn't Joey. If the McStays didn't travel to Mexico that night then with the fact that they previously bought a Rosetta Stone Spanish language cd, did internet searches for children's travel documentation requirements for Mexico & that their Isuzu Trooper was found right on the border then someone tried REALLY hard to make it look like they did.

To be honest, they succeeded as well. For 3 years it's never been proved that they didn't, & it still wouldn't have been now except for a random sighting of a few bones by an off road biker who didn't even know whether they were animal bones or human when he came across them.

Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's someone very close to them responsible for this. Someone with access to their home and computer. Do the searches online and leave their car close to the border to make it look as though they had planned to go to Mexico.
    I thought Summer's sister also said that she thought that it wasn't her on the video? Anyhow, either way, we don't know that the family weren't intending at some point to take a trip to Mexico. Which I think isn't all that too uncommon in that part of the country. Like us nipping across to France. Perhaps the killer actually knew this and that is what gave them the idea to leave the car at the border. Which means that they did personally know the family, IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Am I right in thinking that she home schooled her children, if so, its not unreasonable to suggest that she simply bought the language programme to help teach her children a second language. I think if americans are going to learn any language it would be spanish would it?

I agree about the internet searches, sometimes my friends use my lap top to look something up, if one of them was planning to bump me off its not beyond imagination that they might search for something to confuse the police at a later date. The kids (grown up) also use it when they come over and they are in the wills!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate speculating but I just can't help it with this case...if someone did 'plant' the evidence of the computer searches, the car at the border etc then it's not beyond comprehension that someone could have staged a similar looking group walking across the border?

A bit far fetched I agree, but certainly not impossible.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really had hoped that for whatever reason, the McStays were living happily in Mexico. This news has been a bit of a shock. Who on earth could do this to other human beings, least of all these little boys? It's heartbreaking.

I hope the perpertator(s) is found and punished.

R.I.P. the McStay family. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red tulips wrote: »
    I hate speculating but I just can't help it with this case...if someone did 'plant' the evidence of the computer searches, the car at the border etc then it's not beyond comprehension that someone could have staged a similar looking group walking across the border?

A bit far fetched I agree, but certainly not impossible.

Although wouldnt you do that around the time they were supposed to have 'gone missing'?

OR did it make sense to do it 4 days later because that gave the killer time to cover tracks, if any set up at the border and finding of the car was too early, it doesnt give space between the crime and the police seeing this 'evidence'?