Options

(Dame) Angela Lansbury?

oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK, guys... I'm watching some old movies, I'm feeling maudlin, and I'm compelled to write a post recognising a Great British talent that's all too infrequently heralded. So, herein's a tribute to Ms Angela Lansbury.

Frankly... it's totally unjustifiable that the goddess who is Angela Lansbury, CBE, isn't yet a GBE, i.e. the minimum she would need from Queen Elizabeth II to be called Dame.

If you delve deeply enough, you see that Angela's life story is one of constant near misses: the almost-A-list celebrity, the originator of so many wonderful Broadway roles who missed out on the movie version because she wasn't Hollywood-pretty enough; and the woman who deservedly, but equally kinda sadly, only found mainstream American fame through a murder mystery show (a show which, nevertheless, as an erstwhile student, I feel obliged to say is 100% awesome). I mean, FFS: this woman single-handedly MADE Gaslight and The Manchurian Candidate the great movies they are today; yet she's won five Tonys and NO Oscars, despite being nominated for the latter three times. She never even won an Emmy.

It's a travesty, and she needs to be recognised by the people who matter - i.e. we citizens of her homeland, and our dear sovereign - before she dies and it's too late.

And, when she does pass on, I shall mourn her as though she's a member of my own family. I'm already resigned to the fact that, as I'm a mere 27 years of age, I haven't had much chance to see her live on stage and, given her advanced years and ever-increasing bent towards retirement, it's unlikely I'll now get the chance to do so.

God bless you, Ms Lansbury, and long may you live.

Who among you can join me in this deserving tribute? :cool:

Comments

• Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess she has been around long enough and has had a long career and deserves it more than others who have received it.

I had wondered why she hadnt received one before now.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved her in Murder, She Wrote. She's a great actress and great to watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE her and Muder she wrote was good....
  • Options
    oh viennaoh vienna Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela Lansbury is a class act.

I love her in Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Murder, She Wrote.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she already had received a Damehood. If she hasn't she certainly deserves it.

I've just had a squint at her biography on Wiki, and see that she became a naturalised American in 1951. Maybe that has something to do with her not getting one. Although others have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I dont think she can get one now as she turned her back on UK years ago and has been an American citizen for donkeys years - having said that, wasn't Liz Tayor one? But maybe she didn't turn American . . . .
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murder, She Wrote theme tune Happy times! They just don't make em like they used to :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela Landsbury is great, she was also very pretty when she was younger, no disprespect meant now, I just mean she looked really striking IMHO as a young girl.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She's a legend. A complete legend.

For all the wonderful roles that she played on the big screen and Jessica Fletcher of course, my favourite Angela Lansbury role was as Aunt Hortense Boutin in Lace. Absolutely brilliant. :):)
  • Options
    wordclasswordclass Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Excellent post, OP. I agree, wholeheartedly.

She has excelled on film, stage and television. She has been criminally overlooked for a range of awards. She is humble despite being extraordinarily talented.

I also regret that, at the age of 29, I have never had nor likely to ever get the opportunity to see her on stage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oxfordruse wrote: »
    OK, guys... I'm watching some old movies:

The Company of Wolves is good..Her head falls off the lands in the fire :D
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Frankly... it's totally unjustifiable that the goddess who is Angela Lansbury, CBE, isn't yet a GBE, i.e. the minimum she would need from Queen Elizabeth II to be called Dame.
    :
    Er, surely DBE is enough :confused:
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    She was amazing in the original version of The Manchurian Candidate, where she played a real nasty piece of work. It's a stunning performace which shows her range as an actress/
  • Options
    oh viennaoh vienna Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    The Company of Wolves is good..Her head falls off the lands in the fire :D

That's a pretty big spoiler for anyone who might have checked out the movie on the basis of this post. :eek:
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Angela is on TV now in 'Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris' as a London charwoman. Great performance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Firstly, NEVER make excuses for the awesomeness that was/is Murder She Wrote. It must rival Baywatch for worldwide viewing figures.

Secondly, I've never really thought about it, but you make a good case.

And thirdly, I'm sure she would be very touched to know someone from your generation cared enough about the matter. Hats off to you for caring. :)
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Angela is ALWAYS on tv with the lazy Alibi schedule. Did 'Murder she wrote' have a 'writing team' or just a trained monkey?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Hector RivaHector Riva Posts: 2,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, guys... I'm watching some old movies, I'm feeling maudlin, and I'm compelled to write a post recognising a Great British talent that's all too infrequently heralded. So, herein's a tribute to Ms Angela Lansbury.

If you delve deeply enough, you see that Angela's life story is one of constant near misses: the almost-A-list celebrity, the originator of so many wonderful Broadway roles who missed out on the movie version because she wasn't Hollywood-pretty enough; and the woman who deservedly, but equally kinda sadly, only found mainstream American fame through a murder mystery show (a show which, nevertheless, as an erstwhile student, I feel obliged to say is 100% awesome). I mean, FFS: this woman single-handedly MADE Gaslight and The Manchurian Candidate the great movies they are today; yet she's won five Tonys and NO Oscars, despite being nominated for the latter three times. She never even won an Emmy.

It's a travesty, and she needs to be recognised by the people who matter - i.e. we citizens of her homeland, and our dear sovereign - before she dies and it's too late.

And, when she does pass on, I shall mourn her as though she's a member of my own family. I'm already resigned to the fact that, as I'm a mere 27 years of age, I haven't had much chance to see her live on stage and, given her advanced years and ever-increasing bent towards retirement, it's unlikely I'll now get the chance to do so.

God bless you, Ms Lansbury, and long may you live.

Who among you can join me in this deserving tribute? :cool:

Perhaps Ms Lansbury is very happy with the honour she has already bestowed on her and is not greedy or rude enough to want more than that?

Not sure why some members of the public feel an actor should automatically be given a Damehood or Knighthood after already receiving honours from Her Majesty. I think it belittles and cheapens all the other honours that are given to people for services to the country. Perhaps all the other honours should be scrapped and just have one honour where the recipient can call themselves Dame or Sir, then it may perhaps keep members of the public happy.
  • Options
    Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great ladie I love murder she wrote and have watched all episodes more than once:o
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they can give other ex-pats knight and damehoods, she should have been well in the running a long time ago. Marvellous, versatile actress. Still working in her eighties. They don't make 'em like her any more in terms of her all-rounder ability, work ethic and ability to seem a lovely person too. I don't feel she's really turned her back on the UK. She's maintained strong links with the UK and Ireland. It just might have been more expedient, career wise for her to become a US citizen back in the day and, lets face it, how many of us wouldn't take opportunities presented to us at a given moment in time? Give her at least an honorary damehood. When I think of some of those who have these titles today, they don't come close to La Lansbury.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    If they can give other ex-pats knight and damehoods, she should have been well in the running a long time ago. Marvellous, versatile actress. Still working in her eighties. They don't make 'em like her any more in terms of her all-rounder ability, work ethic and ability to seem a lovely person too. I don't feel she's really turned her back on the UK. She's maintained strong links with the UK and Ireland. It just might have been more expedient, career wise for her to become a US citizen back in the day and, lets face it, how many of us wouldn't take opportunities presented to us at a given moment in time? Give her at least an honorary damehood. When I think of some of those who have these titles today, they don't come close to La Lansbury.

Why? She has a CBE. If a member of your family had been honoured with a CBE would you not feel like it was being rubbished by some members of the public as a meaningless honour and not as good as a Damehood or Knighthood? I think some people need to be considerate and thoughtful of others who have CBEs (and OBEs) and recognise those honours as something great to have achieved.
  • Options
    oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? She has a CBE. If a member of your family had been honoured with a CBE would you not feel like it was being rubbished by some members of the public as a meaningless honour and not as good as a Damehood or Knighthood? I think some people need to be considerate and thoughtful of others who have CBEs (and OBEs) and recognise those honours as something great to have achieved.

I think you need to see this for what it is: a light-hearted thread, in the Showbiz section of an entertainment website, that was intended to pay homage to a wonderful actress - not a debate on the merits of the Order of the British Empire. So I doubt many people will agree with your rather heavy-handed posts.

No one - not one person - has said that a CBE is a meaningless honour. There is a great tradition in this country, home of Shakespeare and centuries of theatrical tradition, of awarding damehoods and knighthoods to performers who represent that tradition.

And, not to belabour the point, but it's wholly ironic that you're saying it isn't fair to rank honours in order of significance, or say one means more than another. That's the whole point of the honours system. It's an order. Ranking is inherent. It'd be fine to say that you don't think Angela Lansbury deserves the higher honour, but that's *not* what you've said so far. You're saying that one honour isn't better than the other, which is just blatantly incorrect. If that's truly how you feel, then you should be railing against the whole thing.

Right - back to Angela. She's awesome!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need to see this for what it is: a light-hearted thread, in the Showbiz section of an entertainment website, that was intended to pay homage to a wonderful actress - not a debate on the merits of the Order of the British Empire. So I doubt many people will agree with your rather heavy-handed posts.

No one - not one person - has said that a CBE is a meaningless honour. There is a great tradition in this country, home of Shakespeare and centuries of theatrical tradition, of awarding damehoods and knighthoods to performers who represent that tradition.

And, not to belabour the point, but it's wholly ironic that you're saying it isn't fair to rank honours in order of significance, or say one means more than another. That's the whole point of the honours system. It's an order. Ranking is inherent. It'd be fine to say that you don't think Angela Lansbury deserves the higher honour, but that's *not* what you've said so far. You're saying that one honour isn't better than the other, which is just blatantly incorrect. If that's truly how you feel, then you should be railing against the whole thing.

Right - back to Angela. She's awesome!

Err, no I haven't. I'm replying to OTT statements from posters who think she has a right to have a Damehood and to call herself a Dame when she's already been given an honour. It is obvious some posters don't think a CBE is good enough, which is the point I am making. The posters should see the fact she has already been given an honour as a good thing since most people don't even get that.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a fan. She's a very intelligent movie actress and was a showstopper in Broadway musicals like Mame back in the 60s and 70s.Sadly she was not given the Mame role in the movie, it was played by Lucille Ball and AL got the role of the friend and consequently it's an inferior movie. She's very good in some of her 40s films. Her performance in the 60s in The Manchurian Candidate is brilliantly menacing and chilling.

This week she was on some high numbered movie channel in a movie or maybe TV movie from 1992 with Diana Rigg called Mrs 'Arris Goes to Paris, based on Paul Gallico's novel. It was fascinating to see someone who is actually very Americanised revert authentically to playing a Londoner. It's a very light film, a dated story and a piece of rather silly flimsy, yet with expert casting it works very well for its genre, her performance stops it becoming too sickly sweet.
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wordclass wrote: »
    Excellent post, OP. I agree, wholeheartedly.

She has excelled on film, stage and television. She has been criminally overlooked for a range of awards. She is humble despite being extraordinarily talented.

I also regret that, at the age of 29, I have never had nor likely to ever get the opportunity to see her on stage.

Dont worry, she is back on broadway in March in an all star cast
    http://broadwayworld.com/article/Candice-Bergen-Angela-Lansbury-et-al-Join-Broadway-Revival-of-THE-BEST-MAN-20111101