BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »
    Didn't realise that. Don't listen to Radio 4 that much. Apologies if it was misleading. My point still stands about overkill tho'

No need to apologise, I can understand why you would assume that being able to hear Radio 4 on MW is the norm if you've only attempted to listen to it via this means in an area where it is available on MW.

I certainly understand your point when it comes to them slightly overegging the pudding when it comes to the updates, while I am a cricket fan and don't often listen to 5 Live's daytime programmes I can understand the frustration at items being interrupted by cricket scoreflashes. While I wouldn't want them to limit cricket updates to the sports news bulletins only, it seems reasonable to me to suggest that all but the most crucial of wickets could wait until the end of particular items.
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I've been enjoying Andy Crane on UAN for the past couple of nights. Anyone else have any thoughts on him?

I agree, he is excellent. I always prefer him when he is on. I have made my views known to the controller of Radio 5. This is his email address:

jonathan.wall.01@bbc.co.uk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    or the south-west.
    Actually you can in Cornwall. 774.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    I expect Anna was told in her ear phones to go to the cricket. Yes it was crass, but not her fault. As far as I heard this morning they only played the first over on VD's programme, because the Ashes are so important to cricket lovers, and then back to updates only.

I agree with radio fan streaky & Robbie on this occasion.. and defend Anna this time.....I've objected to this before _ usually a really interesting and important interview is cut off just to go to the news....and I'm pretty sure Its the producers telling them to go to it....
    Cricket is hardly a fast paced game game between scores and a couple of minutes after a wicket has gone is not the end of the world if people find out just after (it's broadcast after the points won anyway)

It's shame they aren't more strict on timings on the breakfast show so if we have to have flexi time presenters they at least stick to on the hour too instead of suddenly appearing in middle of a piece....

our ex prolific poster insisted radio relies on these markers to keep listeners tuned in & people expect news at the hour/half & quarters.....I argued that once upon a time maybe in the old days but with 24 hour rolling news, the web on mobiles etc. I really think these days if people desperately want news they can get it anytime and anywhere.

Yes if the news was regularly all over the place at 10 past the hour etc. It might frustrate some & probably me too but occasionally when an important issue is being discussed??? No not in the 21st century I think....
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Seems the proposals on education haven't even been officially announced but VD and her crew are already knocking them down. How is this unbiased broadcasting ?

God she is awful these days . I use to like her but stopped listening to her programme when it veered into " groundhog day" topics . It seems every day its the same 2/3 topics with sprinkling of sports news. You can be guaranteed that if theres a fart in the world of education she will discuss it ad nauseum.She once hosted a two hour show from a primary school and spent the full two hours discussing what was in their lunchboxes in detail. If its not education then its a "tragic" story about breast cancer or another health problem or the NHS. There is nothing wrong with discussing these topics they should be discussed on 5live but not to the extent that you are bludegenoning your audience on a daily basis with the same discussions.
    I heard her defend her choice of topics ( in that high pitched squeal she has when being defensive) by saying they only discuss whats in the news i.e they follow the days news agenda . She conveniently forgets to explain that there are on average between 15-20 daily main news stories reported by news agencies. Her favourite topics will have some sort of story in the news each day . Her and her team pic these same topics daily so they are technically following the daily news stories but only the ones they want to.

Her and her team have turned the 10am-12am slot on 5live
    into a teary eyed radio version of Womans Own ....no problem with that so long as VD is happy to admit that this is an accurate description of her show - sadly VD thinks shes a real hard hitting and respected journalist much to the mirth of the rest of the industry .
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way 5Live are doing the sport at the mo is really strange. Rachel Hodges passes to Mark Pougatch at Trent Brdige where the cricket is taking place, who then hands to Pat Murphy who updates the score and what is happening, then back to Mark who then hands back to the sports reporter in the studio for the rest of the sports news. Why can't they just pass to Pat Murphy for the latest score like they do with most live sports events?
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    God she is awful these days . I use to like her but stopped listening to her programme when it veered into " groundhog day" topics . It seems every day its the same 2/3 topics with sprinkling of sports news. You can be guaranteed that if theres a fart in the world of education she will discuss it ad nauseum.She once hosted a two hour show from a primary school and spent the full two hours discussing what was in their lunchboxes in detail. If its not education then its a "tragic" story about breast cancer or another health problem or the NHS. There is nothing wrong with discussing these topics they should be discussed on 5live but not to the extent that you are bludegenoning your audience on a daily basis with the same discussions.
    I heard her defend her choice of topics ( in that high pitched squeal she has when being defensive) by saying they only discuss whats in the news i.e they follow the days news agenda . She conveniently forgets to explain that there are on average between 15-20 daily main news stories reported by news agencies. Her favourite topics will have some sort of story in the news each day . Her and her team pic these same topics daily so they are technically following the daily news stories but only the ones they want to.

Her and her team have turned the 10am-12am slot on 5live
    into a teary eyed radio version of Womans Own ....no problem with that so long as VD is happy to admit that this is an accurate description of her show - sadly VD thinks shes a real hard hitting and respected journalist much to the mirth of the rest of the industry .

They don't discuss what's in the current news agenda, sometimes they drag up the same well worn topics that havn't been in the news for ages :yawn:

I seem to remember one about stalking recently, I don't think that was a current news story..
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Nolan has just began an interview about the rioting in Northern Ireland only to stop it after one question to speak to a reporter in France about the train crash there. He could have spoken to the reporter later or the news reader could have pre-recorded an interview with him and it could have been inserted into the show.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Stephen Nolan has just began an interview about the rioting in Northern Ireland only to stop it after one question to speak to a reporter in France about the train crash there. He could have spoken to the reporter later or the news reader could have pre-recorded an interview with him and it could have been inserted into the show.

I'm sure the idea was to go to France first but there were probably tech problems, in that situation it was probably best to go to France as soon as they had it as it's more of a breaking story.
    Forum Member
    I think the Northern Ireland story of the MP being knocked unconscious had just broken too and Nolan will always deal with anything going on in Belfast first. He has rudely cut off a few people mid-sentence tonight.
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing surprises me anymore here. We have some absolute scum in this part of the country.

Just on the cricket, completely agree. Pat Murphy is outstanding and he's more than capable of doing the link by himself.
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can no longer edit the post but I should point out Mark Pougatch was there doing interviews for TMS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I think the Northern Ireland story of the MP being knocked unconscious had just broken too and Nolan will always deal with anything going on in Belfast first. He has rudely cut off a few people mid-sentence tonight.

He was very excitable last night. Started banging on about the school dinners story - why shouldn't kids have crisps & chocolate in packed lunches?
    Thinking of his own it sounded like!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He is always rude and cutting people off when he feels like it. He is a rubbish broadcaster.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very good programme on 5 Live this morning (switched off LBC). If I have a minor grumble it's there is too much cricket, however I have to understand it's a news and sports station. :p A wide range of stories, interesting and for once not biaised. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I obviously spoke too soon as they have now gone over to just the Ashes *clicky off* :(
    Forum Member
    Giles Dilnot was standing in this morning. I like him presenting programmes. He can do serious as well as lighthearted subjects. He did UAN last time Dotun was away.

I can't complain about the cricket after enjoying 2 weeks of Wimbledon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Giles Dilnot was standing in this morning. I like him presenting programmes. He can do serious as well as lighthearted subjects. He did UAN last time Dotun was away.

I may be tuning in a lot more if they keep up that standard of programme!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You mean Buzz Lightyear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought Giles Dilnot was really good, better than Tony Livesey ( sorry TL fans !)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's always doing that, he interrupted two invited guests the other week, said he'd come back to them after some trivial "breaking news " & never did, he didn't apologise either !
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJM978 wrote: »
    Well I for one won't be sad to see Colin Murray go. One can only wonder who they'll find to replace him. On a related note I wonder if Fighting Talk still has a future.

I know that some on here liked Colin Murray on Fighting Talk. However I used to be a keen listener to the Friday evening football discussion which Colin Murray ruined. So he is perhaps something of a marmite presenter.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with the Friday evening sports programme is that it is just more talk about football when there is live action they could be broadcasting. That won't change when the presenter changes.
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Phil Williams is very good..............he seems to have been a stand in for about 10 years, it's about time he had his own daytime show !

You know that saying "be careful what you wish for"?

That :D

Bring back TL :cry:
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Anyone else fed up with Radio 5 (especially that idiot Pat Murphy) banging on about the fact some cricketer (English of course) didn't walk or something?

Who cares?

I'm fed up with overpaid BBC hacks trying to preach their personal opinions, just shut up and report.
This discussion has been closed.