Options

Has Simon made a bad career move?

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel really sorry for Simon. For some reason, he's not getting the votes. In my opinion he doesn't come over as arrogant but some seem to think he does :-(.

I just don't think he's got anything going for him.
    Nice enough guy, but as I said earlier, I believe 95% of the viewers would never have heard of him. So they aren't going to vote for him. "Not popular."
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't think he's got anything going for him.
    Nice enough guy, but as I said earlier, I believe 95% of the viewers would never have heard of him. So they aren't going to vote for him. "Not popular."

There have been a lot of contestants you might say that about that have done very well, I think it's more a case that he is not "in your face" as some others are.
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    There have been a lot of contestants you might say that about that have done very well, I think it's more a case that he is not "in your face" as some others are.

Agreed. I don't vote for people because I know who they are. In fact, I like it when they are new to me and slowly grow on me.

And I particularly like it when I think I'm going to hate someone, due to sterotypes,but actually learn to love them - Abbey Clancy / Chelsee Healey
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think doing SCD is ever really a bad career move, because pretty much the most damaging thing you can do to yourself is dance badly - and everyone forgets about that once you've returned to your day job. We only remember the winners and the absolute duffers, and the duffers usually do all right out of their appearance, so no harm no foul :D

Truth is that even if his schedule were clear, Simon might not have floated the boat of viewers. He just seems to be lacking that spark that makes people engage with what he's doing, for all he's done some routines that weren't bad technically. I've actually found it quite annoying, as I loved his Xmas routine with Katya and thought Kristina would do a great job with him.

Would he find that spark if he weren't so busy? Hard to say - spark's not a quantifiable like technique or 'polish'. There have been instances of people suddenly finding their mojo and being lifted into another marking band entirely. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    To my mind, he is incredibly lucky to have the chance to participate in SCD.

Indeed his career prospects are as bright as James Jordan's.;-)
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No .. Eurovision was a bad career move :D
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,456
    Forum Member
    Yes, forming a band was a bad career move.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because I'm not sure why you've focused on Simon in saying he is lucky? :confused:

The clue is in the title darling;-)
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, forming a band was a bad career move.

Especially with Lee Ryan...:o
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Don't people who like Blue expect to see Duncan? Did anyone ever care about Simon?

SCD can't be a bad move for a guy who lost all his money. He's obviously going to I'm A Nonentity/Big Brother/Prancing About On Skates route.
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Don't people who like Blue expect to see Duncan? Did anyone ever care about Simon?

SCD can't be a bad move for a guy who lost all his money. He's obviously going to I'm A Nonentity/Big Brother/Prancing About On Skates route.

Simon actually had the most successful solo career out of Blue - although obviously that didn't last that long, or he wouldn't be in the position he is now. Incidentally the members of Blue have done ALL the shows you mention between them!!

My main original point was primarily that Simon could upset some of his few remaining fans by missing concerts to appear on a TV show, and fans attending said shows won't be watching him on TV anyway. I'd be pretty annoyed if someone dropped out of a show I'd booked to see months ago to appear on a TV show instead. If he leaves soon it may not have been worth it!
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    cwickham wrote: »
    It used to be a flat fee, but they changed the payment system in 2010 - you now get paid according to how long you stay in the competition.

Interesting°°°!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can a celeb clear nearly three months of work, to go on Strictly and then get voted off in the first few weeks!!! Perhaps that is why Z lister reality stars are appearing more and more on the show. If you have a real career then you would not have the time to appear on SCD!!!!
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I don't think doing SCD is ever really a bad career move, because pretty much the most damaging thing you can do to yourself is dance badly - and everyone forgets about that once you've returned to your day job. We only remember the winners and the absolute duffers, and the duffers usually do all right out of their appearance, so no harm no foul :D

Truth is that even if his schedule were clear, Simon might not have floated the boat of viewers. He just seems to be lacking that spark that makes people engage with what he's doing, for all he's done some routines that weren't bad technically. I've actually found it quite annoying, as I loved his Xmas routine with Katya and thought Kristina would do a great job with him.

Would he find that spark if he weren't so busy? Hard to say - spark's not a quantifiable like technique or 'polish'. There have been instances of people suddenly finding their mojo and being lifted into another marking band entirely. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The question is why are the voters not voting for Simon or is it because of the bad publicity about his partner Kristina???? I personally do not know who the heck he is!!! Can't help but think poorly of someone who has a singing career and makes tons of money only to claim he is bankrupt. Pure stupidity.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,408
    Forum Member
    The question is why are the voters not voting for Simon or is it because of the bad publicity about his partner Kristina???? I personally do not know who the heck he is!!! Can't help but think poorly of someone who has a singing career and makes tons of money only to claim he is bankrupt. Pure stupidity.

You would be surprised how little some artists in boy/ girlbands could get paid.
    Unless they write the songs and get writers royalties, they only get fees, which are controlled by the record companies/ managers etc.
    Touring is the only real way to make money for some acts.

The world is littered with former popstars who got ripped off by their "employers".
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I see Simon has opened up today about his battles with depression.

As someone who has been through similar problems, I am struggling to find much sympathy for Simon and - dare I say it - it seems awfully convenient to announce this after he's done his second dance-off of the series. He says he owes it to his fans to explain why he is sometimes a bit off it or whatever but is he trying to gain a few sympathy votes?

Not Simon's fault, but one article claims he has 'crippling depression' yet Simon himself basically says that he has snapped himself out of it! I don't dispute that he has issues but many of us do and there does seem to be a 'poor me' vibe there IMO.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    This is what I was going to say. There's no way he would make the decision that he could afford to turn down Strictly.

Do they get paid more if they stay in longer or is it a flat fee? (Sorry this has probably been asked/discussed a lot over the years.)

I imagine he's on Stridtly purely as cross promotion for the tour/album.

(I understood the celebs to get a one off fee regardless of how far they get - but the rate varies from celeb to celeb depending on their perceived name value?)
  • Options
    *Venetia**Venetia* Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No! I don't think it can ever be a bad career move to do Strictly. Prime time TV exposure.

I like Simon and have thrown him a couple votes each week. He has produced some good dances, the jive and charleston were great. If he dances well this week I will vote again for him. He comes over a little bit shy but definitely not arrogant. The judges have often marked him quite low I feel. If he goes before Scott I shall be very pee'd off.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    I see Simon has opened up today about his battles with depression.

As someone who has been through similar problems, I am struggling to find much sympathy for Simon and - dare I say it - it seems awfully convenient to announce this after he's done his second dance-off of the series. He says he owes it to his fans to explain why he is sometimes a bit off it or whatever but is he trying to gain a few sympathy votes?

Not Simon's fault, but one article claims he has 'crippling depression' yet Simon himself basically says that he has snapped himself out of it! I don't dispute that he has issues but many of us do and there does seem to be a 'poor me' vibe there IMO.

Oh, I didn't know about that, though it makes sense of him making himself available for Gregg when he was suffering from panic attacks. Some kinds of suffering improve human sympathy. I'm sorry to hear of his trouble, and anyone else who goes through it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Oh, I didn't know about that, though it makes sense of him making himself available for Gregg when he was suffering from panic attacks. Some kinds of suffering improve human sympathy. I'm sorry to hear of his trouble, and anyone else who goes through it

I can understand his use of 'snapping out of it'. It's something anyone who suffers from depression will have been told to do times without number :(

I think twice in the bottom 2 has affected him. It's why <I think> the dance off is a bad thing.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am sorry I will say this, he is not the right colour. The only black contestant who has gone on to win was Alysha Dixon. Oh and Mark Ramprakash. Both mixed race. Even Natalie Gumede who was IMO a lot better Abbey Clancy got a lot of pasting from the media and people on here for being a ringer. This year there are more than 4 ringers and there's hardly a bad word said against them. Sorry to bring race into it but it does play a big part.

Its a shame really.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's never a bad career move! I do think maybe he'd have done better with a different partner. I'm not saying anything's Kristina's fault I just think certain contestants need a certain type of partner and something doesn't click here.

I quite liked Simon's solo work! Better than any of the other Blue boys anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    I am sorry I will say this, he is not the right colour. The only black contestant who has gone on to win was Alysha Dixon. Oh and Mark Ramprakash. Both mixed race. Even Natalie Gumede who was IMO a lot better Abbey Clancy got a lot of pasting from the media and people on here for being a ringer. This year there are more than 4 ringers and there hardly get a bad time. Sorry to bring race into it but it does play a big part.

Denise VO got as much - if not more - ringer stick than anyone.

Natalie last year was on her own in the ringer corner. This year, they're jockying for position and I think that helps. More to go round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Denise VO got as much - if not more - ringer stick than anyone.

Natalie last year was on her own in the ringer corner. This year, they're jockying for position and I think that helps. More to go round.

Because she was unpopular with the audience anyway and funnily enough her partner James was not very popular either. Natalie was not a ringer IMO. She went to acting school and most actors have some dance training. I remember some posters made some really horrible remarks about her and not all where to do with dancing either.

Like I said it is a real shame.
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    I am sorry I will say this, he is not the right colour. The only black contestant who has gone on to win was Alysha Dixon. Oh and Mark Ramprakash. Both mixed race. Even Natalie Gumede who was IMO a lot better Abbey Clancy got a lot of pasting from the media and people on here for being a ringer. This year there are more than 4 ringers and there's hardly a bad word said against them. Sorry to bring race into it but it does play a big part.

Its a shame really.

Brave person, you brought race into it.

I have to admit that, on British TV shows, black people rarely win. Just my humble opinion.

Back on topic: Simon hasn't made a bad career move. The show is going to make people more aware of him. Plus he isn't the only one with a busy schedule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brave person, you brought race into it.

I have to admit that, on British TV shows, black people rarely win. Just my humble opinion.

Back on topic: Simon hasn't made a bad career move. The show is going to make people more aware of him. Plus he isn't the only one with a busy schedule.

Brave or incredibly naive:D:D. I still like to believe that Britain is a land of equality and any person who makes a contribution to society is respected regardless of age, gender or colour. One can only live in hope.

Pixie has a very busy schedule too. I like Simon and it seems the other contestant like him to. I notice on here people see things that are not there. Which is a real shame.:)