BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me for being difficult because I am normally working during the day so I didn't listen.

The gist of complaints here is that Derbyshire gave you two hours of misery. Yet you say this was lightweight. Surely that is a contradiction in terms. Light to me is about barely scratching the surface of an issue and treating it as something of fun. Judging by your comments what we got was endlessly covering the topic and going into it in minute detail.

Maybe just maybe this was an issue she and her editor felt strongly about.

Anyway she has gone now but it wouldn't surprise me if some comments about her TV slot atrat appearing on here.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Tell me more.
    Sorry. I meant manner, not matter.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange debate on the Nolan show where all contributors to the debate are pro Union.

Are there no laws against this type of biased commentary on the BBC?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeffmister wrote: »
    I don't know how you could say that when I never even mentioned what I thought about Derbyshire either way...

Did you not notice the word 'IF' that I typed at the beginning of the sentence?
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody else hear The Ego interviewing Alistair Darling? He acted like a child and was called ridiculous by Alistair Darling. He interrupted from the first sentence and never stopped acting like an 11 year old through the entire thing. It was embarrassing.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Strange debate on the Nolan show where all contributors to the debate are pro Union.

Are there no laws against this type of biased commentary on the BBC?

Take it you missed the interview with the ridiculous Joan Burney ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11 days from the possible break up of the Union and the ridiculous Bishop still playing pathetic tribal politics. Ignorantly as ever he says 'Cameron' without ever once saying Mr or David. A lack of respect from a man of the cloth. There are many reasons why the vote appears to be moving to a yes, none of these however are down to Conservative voters changing their mind. Didn't stop this preposterous little man making up some story about Number 10 putting the Queen in the firing line and having a dig at an interview with Malcolm Rifkind
  • fifthmetatarsalfifthmetatarsal Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    Anybody else hear The Ego interviewing Alistair Darling? He acted like a child and was called ridiculous by Alistair Darling. He interrupted from the first sentence and never stopped acting like an 11 year old through the entire thing. It was embarrassing.

Yes I did.

I had already heard the Jim Humphrys interview on R4, yes he called the overpaid, over-regarded, pompous John, Jim. Made I laff.

Anyway back to the narcissist, Campbell. When he called Darling manic, that was time to flip channels.

Luckily, for me, I have a remote controlled radio with its pre-sets on R5, R4, TS, Classic FM and R2 (just for pop master): so I do an inordinate amount of flipping (against the advice of Larry Sanders).

Derbyshire , Fogarty and Bacon all washed up with R5, why not Campbell? I live in hope.

Check out his Twitter page if you want to be violently sick. He only allows those with a Masters degree in sycophancy to be acknowledged by his highness.

It's a crying shame that R5 has deteriorated so much in 20 years.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    The moron Bacon has on two qualified intelligent scientists yet insists on interrupting them to spout a load of dinner party nonsense 'he' read in a book.

Spouting facts from a book is not very interesting Bacon.

Quicker this fool goes the better.
    Forum Member
    Yes I did.

I had already heard the Jim Humphrys interview on R4, yes he called the overpaid, over-regarded, pompous John, Jim. Made I laff.

Anyway back to the narcissist, Campbell. When he called Darling manic, that was time to flip channels.

Luckily, for me, I have a remote controlled radio with its pre-sets on R5, R4, TS, Classic FM and R2 (just for pop master): so I do an inordinate amount of flipping (against the advice of Larry Sanders).

Derbyshire , Fogarty and Bacon all washed up with R5, why not Campbell? I live in hope.

Check out his Twitter page if you want to be violently sick. He only allows those with a Masters degree in sycophancy to be acknowledged by his highness.

It's a crying shame that R5 has deteriorated so much in 20 years.

Remember for many years Dame Nikki was an open supporter of the SNP.
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Forgive me for being difficult because I am normally working during the day so I didn't listen.

The gist of complaints here is that Derbyshire gave you two hours of misery. Yet you say this was lightweight. Surely that is a contradiction in terms. Light to me is about barely scratching the surface of an issue and treating it as something of fun. Judging by your comments what we got was endlessly covering the topic and going into it in minute detail.

Maybe just maybe this was an issue she and her editor felt strongly about.

Anyway she has gone now but it wouldn't surprise me if some comments about her TV slot atrat appearing on here.

I never want to see her slot thanks.

She was a lightweight, a miserable lightweight, now BBC News have their Kay Burley a sour faced old hag well past her sell by date and only ever interested in misery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »

I heard it as well... it was a ridiculous interview and to think that Campbell gets well paid for that kind of nonsense.
  • fifthmetatarsalfifthmetatarsal Posts: 37
    Forum Member

I do.

He's getting plenty of stick on Twitter for his Darling interview:

@NickyAACampbell @bbc5live Putting the arguments aside, your Darling interview was facetious,goading,confrontational and frankly a disgrace.

@bbc5live @NickyAACampbell Campbell questioned Darling's mental state. If it happened to Salmond you'd be up in arms.
    Forum Member
    I do.

He's getting plenty of stick on Twitter for his Darling interview:

@NickyAACampbell @bbc5live Putting the arguments aside, your Darling interview was facetious,goading,confrontational and frankly a disgrace.

@bbc5live @NickyAACampbell Campbell questioned Darling's mental state. If it happened to Salmond you'd be up in arms.

Let's hope if Scotland goes indy Campbell sods off back there.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never knew that,its surprising what background information of some of these presenters you get to know.

Edwina Currie, on Nolans paper review Saturday night, was some of the most bizarre and raving bonkers radio I have heard in a long while .On the subject of a 10% salary increase for MP's, first she attacked the rise and then defended the £68,000 they get now by saying they needed a certain standard of living, so they could to buy nice clothes to look smart and be able to keep themselves in a lifestyle they have become accustomed too and be able to afford expensive groceries. :o

Btw I can honestly say I won't be watching VD TV and I have no idea where the BBC News Channel intends to find room in the daily schedules for her programme.I just hope that don't ditch HardTalk to make way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd be interested in evidence of this.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The moron Bacon has on two qualified intelligent scientists yet insists on interrupting them to spout a load of dinner party nonsense 'he' read in a book.

Spouting facts from a book is not very interesting Bacon.

Quicker this fool goes the better.

How long is it until RB leaves ? :)
    Forum Member
    I'd be interested in evidence of this.

It was in a few of the papers a few years back when he was calling himself the new Paxman. Don't remember how long he was in it for.

Only link I can provide is this one, quote from his own book. Others might have more info.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=FBz1_EUKCZgC&pg=PA18&lpg=PA18&dq=nicky+campbell+scottish+nationalist&source=bl&ots=GfxBX-R_Fq&sig=gHWEJynGJ2Ldp6RCJtT9a7xFqYI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=z98NVPbdO_DH7AbuyoHQDw&ved=0CB4Q6AEwATge
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I never want to see her slot thanks.

She was a lightweight, a miserable lightweight, now BBC News have their Kay Burley a sour faced old hag well past her sell by date and only ever interested in misery.

Correct. A case of the wrong presenter, on the wrong station, with the wrong show with the wrong audience at the wrong time with poor editorial guidance. IMOP VD always thought this would be a step onto a big TV current affairs show but her total failure to win over the regular Five Live listener meant she was never going to gain the support she needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take it that plum ITV job never materialised then ? ;-)
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to take an awfully long time to turn the Five Live ship around following the years of the appalling Derbyshire, Campbell, Fogarty, Bacon, Nolan and Dotun.
    How many other people will have to be weaned of Lbc, TS and R4 very quickly?
    I wish the station the very best of luck.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11 days from the possible break up of the Union and the ridiculous Bishop still playing pathetic tribal politics. Ignorantly as ever he says 'Cameron' without ever once saying Mr or David. A lack of respect from a man of the cloth. There are many reasons why the vote appears to be moving to a yes, none of these however are down to Conservative voters changing their mind. Didn't stop this preposterous little man making up some story about Number 10 putting the Queen in the firing line and having a dig at an interview with Malcolm Rifkind

I've objected to this with Nolan himself as well......Nick Ferrari at least has manners to refer to the PM as David Cameron at least or usually Mr Cameron.....

whatever your colours if someone has managed to lead the country IMO they at least deserve some degree of respect......

if Labour gets in I would expect them to refer to Mr Milliband as well (albeit very briefly if the Scots vote yes as the majority ebbs away after 18 months when the Scots Labour MP's have to leave but that's a whole other story!) :D:D

Any views on the new morning shows yet? I haven't been able to listen....
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I too thought The Ego's Alistair Darling interview was pointless and badly conducted. All you ask in such encounters is a decent question followed by the courtesy of a decent answer. To my mind The Ego always wants to be seen as the next Paxman and on this occasion it just resulted in a pointless encounter where The Ego sounded rude and Alistair Darling must have left wondering why he had bothered to turn up in the first place. Sadly, it also makes the BBC look stupid.

The Ego interrupted a woman today to make a ridiculous point claiming what she had said would have others basing a religion around her. The poor women lost her thread and I'm sure the comments had many of us shouting "FFS shut up and let her speak!"

The Ego really irritates me when he a) tries to be funny b) constantly interrupts other presenters' interviews c) tries to make a point that is made only to make him look clever and finally the biggest irritation of all is d) when every morning he turns up for work. Oh how I wish he would clear off!

I also don't know how Rachel Burden puts up with him. It is clear that all the
    co-presenters get on far better and feel much more comfortable with Tony Livesey. Though I do have to say I though TL tested Eleanor Oldroyd's patience on Saturday when he kept referring to the cleanliness of her bed sheets!

I also agree about the Bishop of Bobbins (I think that's as far as the mods would allow me!) He is plain rude. Considering his calling this is not a good quality! I don't get why he is allowed hours of airtime for years on end to spout his arrogant nonsense and to be rude with it.

Despite all of the above, Five Live is still the best station around and I for one would hate to lose it.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it might have been safe to tune into R5 on a morning now that VD has gone but I tired this morning and her replacement was still talking about child abuse. The Morning Misery continues.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I thought it might have been safe to tune into R5 on a morning now that VD has gone but I tired this morning and her replacement was still talking about child abuse. The Morning Misery continues.

Unfortunately they've got Sam "Flemmy" Walker presenting it at the moment. I must be saving a fortune in electricty. No daytime 5 live until Drive.

I think the new presenters/schedules start in October
This discussion has been closed.