Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Good stuff. :) Better scheduling last night, starting it at 7.31pm rather than 7.28 or 7.29.

Wondered why the clash ratings weren't tweeted.
    That's because EastEnders beat it. Same reason there is little talk on DS. You should know that :p

I always knew the silly 7:27pm starts hurt it. Friday's EastEnders started at 8:00pm and look what happened there;-)

I think the BBC need to look at starting it at 7:30pm and have it run to 7:59 and then straight to the news update (If it's a must) and into the 8:00pm show.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Corrie is in a little state. The episode I've been watching is about Moles and Trifle :o

Surely it won't be long before Blackburn gets sacked.

Do moles like trifle then? :D
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Thanks Neil for providing Wallander's competition, as you say it's not what you'd call 'big' and it probably should have held up better, at least keeping above 5m.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Most timeshifts have been 1.8-2m in recent weeks. I expect the same for the final. It's the overnight and peak rating that will be the thing to watch. Will it cross 9m tonight or maybe even 10m or was last week's boost as good as it gets?

I have a feeling it might just pull one more hallelujah rating out of the bag for the final. It's a final, there has been lots of interest today it seems and there is little in the way of competition.

Last year the final had the second lowest timeshift of the series (1.03m), only the first episode was lower (1m), all other episodes added at least 0.3m more. Which makes sense really, because more people would want to watch the final live. A similar thing has happened this year, with the first episode having the lowest timeshift (1.33m) compared to the others which have ranged from 1.66m to 2.15m*.

*This doesn't include the episode Scotland showed it on BBC Two,
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Do moles like trifle then? :D
    Of course :p
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most timeshifts have been 1.8-2m in recent weeks. I expect the same for the final. It's the overnight and peak rating that will be the thing to watch. Will it cross 9m tonight or maybe even 10m or was last week's boost as good as it gets?

I have a feeling it might just pull one more hallelujah rating out of the bag for the final. It's a final, there has been lots of interest today it seems and there is little in the way of competition.

My mum is watching the final tonight when she hasn't watched the rest of the series. All we had was bits of the repeats on as background on Sunday afternoons. She's curious to know who will win. I think she's been made aware of the finalists through newspaper and magazine interviews and possibly by appearances on daytime TV.

As a BBC fan I will be disappointed if it doesn't hit 10m in the overnights. Even if it's 9.99m I will be disappointed.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm being told the target GBBO has tonight from the BBC is 11m. Anything below will be a major blow to the BBC, so they might well close down for the rest of the year.

:D
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    I'm not convinced "The Great British Bake Off" will get 10 million as an overnight, perhaps as peak yeah but that would be pretty huge for an average overnight figure.. I hope it does but its climb has been amazing enough as it is, I just don't know if it can keep rising in the way it has done over the past month. A success story and highlight of BBC one autumn programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I'm not convinced "The Great British Bake Off" will get 10 million as an overnight, perhaps as peak yeah but that would be pretty huge for an average overnight figure.. I hope it does but its climb has been amazing enough as it is, I just don't know if it can keep rising in the way it has done over the past month. A success story and highlight of BBC one autumn programmes.

It is quite incredible really. This is what any broadcaster would love. The BBC has such a great advantage of having BBC2, where commissions from the channel can be allowed to grow and flourish.

The BBC have had this with Miranda, MBB and now the GBBO.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is quite incredible really. This is what any broadcaster would love. The BBC has such a great advantage of having BBC2, where commissions from the channel can be allowed to grow and flourish.

MBB didn't start on BBC2. It was on BBC1 in a 10.35pm slot.

Other BBC1 shows to start on BBC2 include The Apprentice and Who Do You Think You Are?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not sure why a few of the broadcasters rejected the production company's pitch behind "The Great British Bake Off" though. Although hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess. Not sure why they felt it had to go on BBC TWO to begin with when they've been making DIY SOS and Masterchef etc. for years. Even had it only reached 4 million it still would have been a ratings hit. However its got the audience it deserves now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    MBB didn't start on BBC2. It was on BBC1 in a 10.35pm slot.

Other BBC1 shows to start on BBC2 include The Apprentice and Who Do You Think You Are?

Oh I know MBB didn't start on BBC2, but I meant all have grown into huge hits. All started out at 2m and grown into 10m+ monsters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh I know MBB didn't start on BBC2, but I meant all have grown into huge hits. All started out at 2m and grown into 10m+ monsters.

Would BBC one consider bringing back "Dads Army" given the publicity it has received in the press today as the filming is due to begin. Perhaps they don't have the rights now.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm. if only ITV had a second channel.;-)
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good stuff. :) Better scheduling last night, starting it at 7.31pm rather than 7.28 or 7.29.

Wondered why the clash ratings weren't tweeted.
    sn_22 wrote: »
    A solid night too for EastEnders. It's a little bit odd at the moment - impressive on Friday, below expectations on Monday, but then a strong hold-up for the clash episode. At least it's kicking about - hopefully it can press on ahead of Christmas, where it should get a lot of support.
    I feel with "EastEnders" ratings its how one episode leaves another. When they nail the cliffhangers the next episode seems solid. The gun goes off Thursday, Fridays episode is up.
    It needs a hell of a run of cliffhangers to keep people coming back for more. They have been good since wedding from hell week last week. Hopefully EastEnders can keep the momentum going for awhile.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member

The BBC are in a much more favourable position than other channels because they can cherry pick their biggest bbc2 shows and move them to bbc1 if they want to. Examples include The Apprentice, GBBO, Who do you think you are, Have I gOt News For You, Miranda etc.

Itv and Channel4 dont have secondary terrestrial channels to cherry pick hits from. It's not the same going to Itv2 and E4 and moving shows from them to the main channel, as it is from BBC2 to BBC1. This is why BBC One can remain strong for years, if the main channel is starting to show weakness, the people running the channel can just promote some bbc2 shows to the main channel. Easy way to get the ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrisE wrote: »

Yes, perhaps ITV should have brought over Celeb Juice at its height and plonked it right in the schedule at 9pm on Saturday?

In all seriousness, ITV2 and the main channel don't really have the right programmes to share. BBC2 and BBC1 have a similar audience, and BBC2 is not a digital channel, but one of the main 5. There is a difference.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    A shame that Pride of Britain awards isn't broadcasted on BBC One. Its the kind of thing which deserves to be on the nations favourite channel and it would've got over 5m for sure on bbc1 due to better weekly reach and promotional opportunities.
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    A shame that Pride of Britain awards isn't broadcasted on BBC One. Its the kind of thing which deserves to be on the nations favourite channel and it would've got over 5m for sure on bbc1 due to better weekly reach and promotional opportunities.

I'd rather it not be on the BBC. It's basically a big advert for the Mirror and everyone turns up there, let's be honest, because it gets them in the papers.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why a few of the broadcasters rejected the production company's pitch behind "The Great British Bake Off" though. Although hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess. Not sure why they felt it had to go on BBC TWO to begin with when they've been making DIY SOS and Masterchef etc. for years. Even had it only reached 4 million it still would have been a ratings hit. However its got the audience it deserves now.

It was pitched to and commissioned to air on BBC Two, I doubt it was ever pitched to be a BBC One show. Masterchef was a daytime show which did really well when they moved to primetime, BBC One already had Celebrity Masterchef so the move wasn't as big a jump and Two kept Masterchef: The Professionals.

The reason why shows move to BBC One aside from ratings is because if it's commissioned from an indie and the show's a hit, the price goes up and BBC Two simply can't afford it anymore so it moves to BBC One.

BBC Two should be allowed to keep some of its hits. I hope Sewing Bee stays on BBC Two although that's one I think will grow as well as The Fall although the latter is probably a tad too dark for BBC One anyway.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrisE wrote: »

Unfortunately ITV have most recently used ITV2 to send a programme from ITV that failed there. The Job Lot anyone?
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately ITV have most recently used ITV2 to send a programme from ITV that failed there. The Job Lot anyone?

The Job Lot was an odd commission for ITV, should have been on ITV2 in the first place. I think ITV2 should restablish more original comedy, Plebs has done well for them but I think they should have it in a comedy block, maybe Plebs at 9pm, Job Lot at 9.30pm and Celebrity Juice at 10pm.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great final of GBBO not surprised by the Winner. I am surprised how badly the one I thought would win
    Richard
    did.He/she messed up big time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is this a breakthrough moment for "Our Zoo" given the final ratings for "The Great British Bake Off" and "A Extra slice" sandwich!! Massive lead in for it this evening..
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Guardian article for tomorrow anticipates 10m. Think it'll do very very well.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a breakthrough moment for "Our Zoo" given the final ratings for "The Great British Bake Off" and "A Extra slice" sandwich!! Massive lead in for it this evening..

I really hope our Zoo gets a nice boost as it really deserves it.
This discussion has been closed.