Options

NEW BBC iplayer

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Hi
Does anyone else find the new iplayer to be complete rubbish. All the information that used to be on one page is now spread about all over the place.

In addition to this I now get really poor sound / video sync completely spoiling the experience.

Why can't people leave things alone. If it aint broke dont fix it is a good way to be.

I watch on my PC and is my main viewing method and I am totally teed of with it.

So there

zzdave

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the trend for "tablet friendly" user interfaces.

Laptop/desktop friendly interfaces tended to be difficult for tablet users. However the solution is not to be found in making things difficult for laptop/desktop users.

It was this attitude that killed Windows 8.

Anyway, the highly paid experts will eventually figure it out I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only had a brief acquaintanceship with the new look, so just went back to have another go and it is completely insane!

There is no consideration being paid to non-tablet users at all. It is a 100% touch screen design.

Windows 8 revisited indeedy!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    There is no consideration being paid to non-tablet users at all. It is a 100% touch screen design.

Windows 8 revisited indeedy!
    Odd, as I have had no problem with it on a non-touch PC. As easy to use as the old design (and I say that as someone who uses Classic Shell on Windows 8.1, and never sees/uses the Start screen tiles), and it uses all of the screen estate as opposed to a small strip.

We must be looking at different things.
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    It is awful.
    I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's lost the 'jump into things' options, making it look more like you have to search for specific programmes instead of bouncing around from one thing to another.
    Nothing wrong with change but it's losing basic usability from day one until we get used to it.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    It's ok. When your watching something not in full screen (Not that I ever do this but I did notice it..) and leave your cursor on the video, the rest of the website will dim but then the video has a horrible 1px border at the bottom and right.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't like change do we? Progress, schmogress.

I still haven't forgiven the BBC for updating their website in 2002.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems to be loading much faster for me on my laptop plus the picture quality is a lot better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do you think is better about the new design?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Odd, as I have had no problem with it on a non-touch PC. ... We must be looking at different things.
    Looks and works fine here too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I note that the BBC are claiming 95% approval of the new design.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/new-iPlayer-preview-feedback-and-live-launch

When do 95% of people every agree on anything? It just never happens.
  • Options
    beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind change but don't made a design lose its main function. This new layout is awful. I now have to click more to access what I want.

On the previous layout, the tv guide for the last few days was there, the main programmes for each category where laid out too, plus the most popular programmes at the top.

In this new layout, I have to have an extra click to view the tv guide. If I then wanted to browse through categories, I need to go somewhere else.

etc etc etc.

Its been designed for a tablet with zero consideration for desktop users. BTW, I do have a tablet, and its still rubbish on a tablet as well. The old layout for tablet users was absolutely fine.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I note that the BBC are claiming 95% approval of the new design.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/new-iPlayer-preview-feedback-and-live-launch

When do 95% of people every agree on anything? It just never happens.

Just depends on who fills out this:

http://ecustomeropinions.com/survey/survey.php?sid=776524682&data1=TV
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beatrice39 wrote: »
    I don't mind change but don't made a design lose its main function. This new layout is awful. I now have to click more to access what I want.

On the previous layout, the tv guide for the last few days was there, the main programmes for each category where laid out too, plus the most popular programmes at the top.

In this new layout, I have to have an extra click to view the tv guide. If I then wanted to browse through categories, I need to go somewhere else.

etc etc etc.

Its been designed for a tablet with zero consideration for desktop users. BTW, I do have a tablet, and its still rubbish on a tablet as well. The old layout for tablet users was absolutely fine.

The BBC have to make the IPlayer more tablet friendly, because for TV only content the IPlayer is now used equally between computers and tablets (29%).

Source:-
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/iplayer/iplayer-performance-mar14.pdf (slides 2 and 7)
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    The BBC have to make the IPlayer more tablet friendly, because for TV only content the IPlayer is now used equally between computers and tablets (29%).

Source:-
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/iplayer/iplayer-performance-mar14.pdf (slides 2 and 7)

Surely they have apps for tablets/mobiles, so make those user friendly for those devices and leave the website as it was. Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Surely they have apps for tablets/mobiles, so make those user friendly for those devices and leave the website as it was. Or am I missing something?

I think the BBC are designing the IPlayer in such a way that we get a uniform user experience across the various means of accessing the IPlayer. So that if you use the IPlayer on a Playstation 3, for example, it should feel the same as using the IPlayer on a Smartphone.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its terrible but i watch most of my catch up via the sky box now so its not that big a deal.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Progress to make things better = good, progress that makes things worse = bad. Which category this falls in depends on which device you use to access it. HTH.

Oh and as a PC user, the BBC website is still a worse experience than the previous design :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC almost instinctively follow the lead of the commercial sector, you have to wonder what is the point of a public service that behaves as if it's a private operation.

The commercial sector chase pennies of course, so their way of doing things is not optimum for the BBC.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC almost instinctively follow the lead of the commercial sector, you have to wonder what is the point of a public service that behaves as if it's a private operation.

The commercial sector chase pennies of course, so their way of doing things is not optimum for the BBC.
    Could you explain how that claim relates to the redesigned iPlayer?
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    I have just found a very good new thing.
    When you are watching live tv and pause it it now shows you which programmes are in the time period you have paused it for. That is a massive bonus, no need to click around trying to find the start of a show :)
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only use the search box as you can never find anything any other way.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zzdave wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anyone else find the new iplayer to be complete rubbish. All the information that used to be on one page is now spread about all over the place.

In addition to this I now get really poor sound / video sync completely spoiling the experience.

Why can't people leave things alone. If it aint broke dont fix it is a good way to be.

Because it's the BBC. They embody the words I once heard on pre-cursor to Twenty Twelve, People Like Us: "You only get one chance in life to really f**k things up... and I grabbed it with both hands."

They were spoken by the actor who played Tom in The Good Life, as a character who'd wasted his life running a local newspaper for most of his life.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Could you explain how that claim relates to the redesigned iPlayer?

I don't think he can quite understand that form follow function.

If a very large percentage of the audience are using specific devices with specific requirements to watch content, it makes sense for all the companies supplying that sort of content to use similar methods to make best use of the devices.

I don't think Tassium quite grasps that that isn't the BBC blindly following commercial broadcasters, but that the BBC has recognized and responded to the same limitations of the devices that the commercial broadcasters have.

Not to mention if the interfaces are similar it tends to make it much easier for people to get used to them.
    Something that is true with everything from record players, and cassette recorders/players to modern OS's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I don't think he can quite understand that form follow function.

If a very large percentage of the audience are using specific devices with specific requirements to watch content, it makes sense for all the companies supplying that sort of content to use similar methods to make best use of the devices.

I don't think Tassium quite grasps that that isn't the BBC blindly following commercial broadcasters, but that the BBC has recognized and responded to the same limitations of the devices that the commercial broadcasters have.

Not to mention if the interfaces are similar it tends to make it much easier for people to get used to them.
    Something that is true with everything from record players, and cassette recorders/players to modern OS's.

The design principles for touch-screen devices is lightyears away from optimum for laptop/desktop with the mouse/touch-pad.

But there appears to be "younger money" in touch device audiences than in the laptop/desktop audiences. Hence why commercial media sites tend to favour the touch approach to design.

But a public service has a responsibility to provide for all.

OK? Not too much for you to take in?
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Because it's the BBC. They embody the words I once heard on pre-cursor to Twenty Twelve, People Like Us: "You only get one chance in life to really f**k things up... and I grabbed it with both hands."

They were spoken by the actor who played Tom in The Good Life, as a character who'd wasted his life running a local newspaper for most of his life.

Have you watched W1A? If so, enough said
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    I think the BBC are designing the IPlayer in such a way that we get a uniform user experience across the various means of accessing the IPlayer. So that if you use the IPlayer on a Playstation 3, for example, it should feel the same as using the IPlayer on a Smartphone.

Because a) we're so stupid we couldn't use two different interfaces or b) because the want to save a quid in only having one to maintain.

For those that hated the changes, or even those that love it - I urge completing the survey I linked to below. It allows you to feed back that it's fine on your phablet but shite on your pc

http://ecustomeropinions.com/survey/...24682&data1=TV