Options

Fireworks - should they be restricted from general sale?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm amazed that these mini-bombs are still sold to any adult.

I hate this time of year, I always get anxious being out & about with the sound of them being set off somewhere around me :(

Comments

• Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Banning things is never the answer.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a fireworks licence like they used have with dangerous dogs?

Only half kidding but the incessant noise at night is hard to escape and seems to be only coming from one or two houses.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love fireworks and do my own fireworks display in the garden. It's a great family occasion So stop yer moaning and man up a bit.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Banning things is never the answer.
    I used to think that until I saw some guys walk out of McColls with some fireworks one evening a few years ago, let off a rocket at an almost horizontal angle, that flew across the street and into a car window parked on the other side of the road! These were grown (over 18 that is, not mature in any way :D) men. It frightened the living shit out of me, I can tell you. I had my daughter with me and all I could think was that perhaps the next one was coming our way!
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I love fireworks.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

There should not be allowed to be used in residential areas.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    You may wish to add your name to the Only allow registered organised firework displays, ban sales to the public petition.

I don't have a problem with Fireworks per se, just the random uncontrolled use of them.

When they're only used on the expected dates (November / New year) it's not too much of a problem but unfortunately, there are too many idiots getting hold of them and setting them off willy-nilly.

If you could publicise elsewhere that you think may be appropriate, please do.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    No, I love fireworks.

THIS^^^
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be some type of control put on them, certainly. I don't like the idea of random adults being able to buy fireworks - especially some of the idiotic eighteen year old's I've encountered (not slating them all by any means). Also they should only be allowed to be set of during certain hours (but I think there might be a law already in place for that). I hate random fireworks going off at 1/2am.

Although to be entirely fair, since I've moved to a quieter area, not that many fireworks have gone off - then again, it is early in the firework 'season'. I love the pretty colours and am happy to support my local display, it's the noise that does me. Scares my cats half to death, too. :(
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Just because a few idiots misuse them shouldn't mean the rest of us are barred from buying them.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banned from public sale only available to licensed events.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I think cars should be banned, as they are a nuisance to me 365 days a year, unlike fireworks, which may be annoying a few days per year, but that is never going to happen.

And if you are talking about the dangers of fireworks, compared with the dangers of cars, you know the answer.

Maybe we should ban Pakistanis as well, as they are the main culprits around here for using fireworks, even letting them off in the streets. Of course the police turn a blind eye regarding stopping their 'fun', because of the risk of being called racists.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    No, I love fireworks.

Me too.

At this time of year, all the firework killjoys come out to play.

I'll ban a few things, other than cars. Dogs would be a good start. Mobile phones would be another. Maybe I could ban cold weather, while I'm at it. After all, we wouldn't want people to have fun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    100%, I agree! ^_^
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Yesterday when I was walking the dog I saw some fireworks being set off. I did a quick scan of DS to see if any of the "fireworks are the work of the devil" brigade had begun and they hadn't. Now this today. One thing you can never accuse DS of is inconsistency.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, I remember the days of lighting a rocket, placing a milk bottle over the top of it and retreating a safe distance to watch the ensuing explosion. Only once did someone get injured, bloomin' idiot trying to get a closer view from his video camera.

Happy days :)
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They banned all the good ones anyway -

jumping jacks and air bombs were the biz.

We used to hide in trees beside a fast road and then launch mini rockets to try and fly next to any car that was passing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davzer wrote: »
    They banned all the good ones anyway -

jumping jacks and air bombs were the biz.

We used to hide in trees beside a fast road and then launch mini rockets to try and fly next to any car that was passing.
    That would explain why I never saw any jumping jacks when it came to bonfire nights throughout my childhood! :(

One of my favourites however, was Catherine wheels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Me too.

At this time of year, all the firework killjoys come out to play.

I'll ban a few things, other than cars. Dogs would be a good start. Mobile phones would be another. Maybe I could ban cold weather, while I'm at it. After all, we wouldn't want people to have fun.

Not that I agree we should ban dogs, but they do create more mess, more noise and more injuries than fireworks do year round!

What about motorbikes too? They are bloody noisy and cause a lot of deaths.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really seen the point of fireworks personally. I don't have a problem with them in licensed public events, but I've never really seen the point of spending a ton of money on something just to set it alight and watch it go bang.

But that's just me :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never really seen the point of fireworks personally. I don't have a problem with them in licensed public events, but I've never really seen the point of spending a ton of money on something just to set it alight and watch it go bang.

Just a random question, but do you like sparklers? :cool:
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with this. Was woken up several times last night by the local arseholes letting them off in the street well after 11pm.

The rest of the UK should adopt Northern Ireland's law on fireworks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I agree with this. Was woken up several times last night by the local arseholes letting them off in the street well after 11pm.

The rest of the UK should adopt Northern Ireland's law on fireworks.
    Similar to Australia's law on fireworks, I'm presuming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In my old neighbourhood I used to run a fireworks display, all the neighbours would chip in whatever they could and I would buy loads of fireworks, have a bbq, hotdogs toffee apples etc. It was a brilliant community event. Plus it meant I could set off a couple hundred quids worth of fireworks myself! We would have about 100 people watching on the communal green, it was great fun. I miss my old house TBH :(
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should be treated like any other explosive device, strictly controlled. We're lucky in that our dog doesn't take any notice of them but some people have to medicate their dogs due to the abject terror it causes them.